• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 390 - Two Different Ways Incorrect Month On Newsstand Editions Was Remedied With A Sticker
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four 390s have one of two different publication dates on the cover - newsstands show June, 1994, and directs show July, 1994. July is the correct date.

I recently came across two different ways the newsstand date error was remedied with a sticker, as described below.

1.  A buddy of mine has a FF 390 newsstand with a sticker covering the price box which corrects the date to July (see pics).  All the other info on the sticker is identical to that in the price box as originally printed.

2.   I recently acquired a FF 390 direct which has a newsstand UPC sticker covering the direct edition UPC, thus creating a newsstand with the correct month (see pics).

Have any of you run across these or similar stickers on a FF 390 before?

imagejpeg_2.jpg.375c94dc39f558d5df29fe795e7f8fff.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg.47e9e5e2e724d76720aca69d344b5e8a.jpg

20240311_181028.jpg

20240311_181114.jpg

Edited by androolx

On 2/28/2024 at 3:29 PM, androolx said:

Fantastic Four 390s have one of two different publication dates on the cover - newsstands show June, 1994, and directs show July, 1994. July appears to be the correct date.

A buddy of mine has a FF 390 newsstand with a sticker covering the month on the front cover which corrects the date to July (see pics).  Have any of you run across this before?  I couldn't find any with a similar sticker on eBay.

It reminds me of the sticker on Secret Defenders 7 newsstands. 

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

I've never seen one of those with a sticker before, but the Jun/Jul thing makes me wonder.

I've also never seen that before, and I own about 5 copies of this issue, some Aussie, some US in origin. 

On 2/28/2024 at 6:02 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I haven't seen it and mine doesn't have it.  Note we are currently posting these issues in the Copper Age section, so that would be a good place to reach out, particularly to @WernerVonDoom.

FF - 390.jpg

Oops. It did strike me being copper-ish, but I was looking at the publication date when I posted.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:29 PM, androolx said:

A buddy of mine has a FF 390 newsstand with a sticker covering the month on the front cover which corrects the date to July (see pics). 

Is his copy one that he purchased off the stands, and where is he located?

This could be another book-market region anomaly. 

The reason I ask is because around this time there was some weird stuff happening with newsstands…

Action Comics #695 (1994) Cover A Eastern News Newsstand - Almost every newsstand you see for that issue is of cover B. It’s not often a Cover A newsstand pops up  

Star Wars Heir to the Empire #1 (1995) Blank (sometimes with sticker) UPC Newsstand. This is different that the regular newsstand and the direct edition  

I think the no upc/no price Uncanny X-Men #302 (1993) from this time period is a result of a regional bookmarket test. But, I’m still trying to find info to back that up. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/28/2024 at 9:25 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Is his copy one that he purchased off the stands, and where is he located?

This could be another book-market region anomaly. 

He is not OO; the book was in a bunch of books he bought.  He is in the Baltimore are.

If the price sticker is something some stores were using, it would make sense for the UXM 302 below. However, this FF book has the price under the sticker. Are the numbers under July on the sticker the same as they are under the sticker? I can’t really make it out from the image. 

Also, no this is not a toy insert. There’s a thread in copper about it, but seems like it’d be more at home here in modern 

4e2db12a.jpg

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/29/2024 at 11:47 AM, androolx said:

The info on the sticker is identical to the info the sticker covers, with the exception of the month.

Thanks. Maybe it was a printer error and this was the easy fix. I haven’t seen other copies like this, but honestly I hadn’t been looking. 

I’ll keep an eye out for other examples 

On 3/2/2024 at 9:00 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks. Maybe it was a printer error and this was the easy fix. I haven’t seen other copies like this, but honestly I hadn’t been looking. 

I’ll keep an eye out for other examples 

This is what I'm thinking. Since newsstands use the cover date to know when to send the unsold books back for credit, it makes sense that they neglected to print the right month on the Newsstand, and the cheapest fix was to print an overlabel for that edition. Unless copies surface that show the correct month printed on the Newsstand edition, I wouldn't think that there would be any premium for this, since all of the copies would be the same, with the same error. *Maybe* if you found a pristine copy without the overlabel, then that would sell for more, since never having had a label would make it rarer.