• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent CGC PULP purchases.
4 4

62 posts in this topic

Welcome to the pulp section, good sir.  But if you buy one for a story, I expect an entry under Release the Kracken :D

I frickin' love that thread :golfclap:

That Planet is gorgeous, and the Amazing cover seems in line with PCH sensibilities, gruesome.  I know Ed Earl Repp from the top byline of that one only for his *many* westerns, and I didn't even realize he'd done any Sci-Fi.

No Krackin' required:

https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_v12n06_1938-11_cape1736/mode/2up

Oddball question:  Do the Yakima pulps have any particular tells other than they're in really nice shape?  I'm not that far from Yakima- 150 miles or so- so I'm wondering if there's anything I should look for in the books I find locally.  Not that I have more than a handful of books in condition nice enough that I think it might be worth further researching, but I figure I might as well ask.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:12 AM, johnenock said:

Especially interested in what CGC thinks is "classic". I kinda think they all are but...

There's probably some consensus on classics, dunno if CGC is taking from Bookery or sort of general opinion over the years.  The Jones cover is *definitely* a classic in my opinion, the centered and simple composition, the crazed eyes of the dog (you know what I'm talking about, you dogs, you), and the babe with the torn dress and all the shades of red, love it. 

The "classic dinosaur" cover gets status cause of the attack on the capitol by a T-Rex (I personally sort of think of it as kitsch, but sci-fi can be that way).

On 3/14/2024 at 12:29 AM, OtherEric said:

Oddball question:  Do the Yakima pulps have any particular tells other than they're in really nice shape?  I'm not that far from Yakima- 150 miles or so- so I'm wondering if there's anything I should look for in the books I find locally.  Not that I have more than a handful of books in condition nice enough that I think it might be worth further researching, but I figure I might as well ask.

I just read through this one, looks the Yakimas are late era pulps  and are best recognized by "white pages" lol and certificates of authenticity from Dave Smith.  I see something about markings but don't see markings.

Edited by Darwination

On 3/14/2024 at 1:29 AM, OtherEric said:

Dave Smith's website is:

www.fantasyillustrated.net

There may be some Yakima info there, or you may be able to contact him through there. He's pretty cool. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/14/2024 at 7:43 AM, jimjum12 said:

Dave Smith's website is:

www.fantasyillustrated.net

There may be some Yakima info there, or you may be able to contact him through there. He's pretty cool. GOD BLESS ...

Just looked. He already has some CGC examples of a few Yakima's. Pricey but pretty!

On 3/14/2024 at 10:06 AM, johnenock said:

Just looked. He already has some CGC examples of a few Yakima's. Pricey but pretty!

He's an OG, for sure. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/13/2024 at 10:29 PM, OtherEric said:

I have a number of them bought from Dave directly. They all came with COAs but I don’t recall any particular markings. They are mostly pretty high grade (for pulps) but I do have a couple that I would consider vg.