• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Grading and CGC certification number question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted so I hope this area is a good category to bring up these questions. A local shop has a Marvel Spotlight #5 in a CGC slab (cert #1258948016) graded 8.5 off white to white pages. The first and most major issue, IMO, is that the cert number returns "This item cannot be found. Please check that the CGC certification number was entered correctly." when entered into the CGC cert verification tool. Any thoughts on what this means?  The slab appears genuine and untampered with. The grade appears fairly reasonable (I have seen worse slabs relative to the grade that were for sure genuine).

Personally, due to some defects at the top corners and edge of the front cover I think it would be a little less than an 8.5 but I am more conservative than most.

Any opinions appreciated. I expect I can examine this book in person again this Monday.

Thanks,

Bruce

MarvelSpotlight5 8.5 cert number not coming up.jpg

Edited by QuasarComics

On 3/16/2024 at 2:25 PM, namisgr said:

The grade of the book doesn't seem to match the grade on the label.  Add to that the label can't be verified in the CGC database and there are enough red flags that I would choose to stay away.

Thanks, along the lines of what I was thinking and good to get confirmation.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:54 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

There might be a tech glitch on CGC. I just looked up the Cert for a CGC comic on Heritage and it came back with the same note. I'm gonna wait and re-enter the number later today.

Thanks for the feedback, Ill do the same!

Thanks all, CGC replied to me in their ask CGC section and said this is a glitch in their system and is effecting several items. I will later when this is resolved.