• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Body Problem on Netflix - Is there really no thread for this?
2 2

37 posts in this topic

The trailer I saw makes me think that it will not be a particularly close telling of the story in the books. For anyone who hasn't read them, they are an epic sci-fi read. Lots of big ideas, especially in the dark forest volume. That said, I don't mind if the TV series diverges, as long as it's good story telling.

Edited by AJD

While I'm looking forward to seeing this, I'm also worried it won't do the books justice.

@AJD, I totally agree with your assessment of the books...I found some of the concepts in them (especially The Dark Forest and Death's End) both ambitious and chilling.

I recently watched the Chinese 30-episode(!) adaptation of The Three-Body Problem on Amazon and felt that it stayed fairly close to the source material (although it did add a few characters). Definitely worth a watch!

I found the Chinese TV series a bit hard to follow as u had to concentrate. No fast n furious cars or explosive gun play. Netflix version in English hopefully easier to follow plot.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:52 PM, aardvark88 said:

I found the Chinese TV series a bit hard to follow as u had to concentrate. No fast n furious cars or explosive gun play. Netflix version in English hopefully easier to follow plot.

My friend who also watched the Chinese TV series said he had to rewind quite a few times to re-read subtitles when characters were discussing deeper concepts.

Both he and I read the books, and I wonder how the Chinese TV series would be for someone who did not read them.

I've heard good things so far about the Netflix series, and can't wait to check it out!

Not having read the books, I've gone into this blind, so not sure where this headed.  I enjoyed the first episode.  Good cast.  I like how there is a mystery unfolding. 

Probably the best set of books I have read in the last ten years or so. I have made it through episode 3 and think it's great. While, not totally faithful to the books, the production value and story do the books justice! (And why isn't there a thread about the Gentlemen..another fun series by Netflix)

Edited by johnenock

On 3/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, johnenock said:

Probably the best set of books I have read in the last ten years or so. I have made it through episode 3 and think it's great. While, not totally faithful to the books, the production value and story do the books justice! (And why isn't there a thread about the Gentlemen..another fun series by Netflix)

start one!

I thoroughly enjoyed that! I may have to go read the books!

On 3/23/2024 at 11:07 PM, piper said:

I thoroughly enjoyed that! I may have to go read the books!

PBS tv station in Seattle, WA seems to be broadcasting 'Three Body Problem' Chinese 30 episode series with English sub-titles every Sat. evening. PBS may also be able to stream the Chinese series to your home including :451621943_canadianbananaflaggif: Canada. Get ready for more future science, Communist math calculations, solar radiation, religion vs. Aliens.

The reactions to Netflix‘s sci-fi epic 3 Body Problem are, if anything, inconsistent. The reviews from top critics are all over the place, from lavish praise to disses and everything in between. Viewers are similarly split, with some fans of Liu Cixin’s novel criticizing the series for its bold adaptive choices, and many others saying 3 Body Problem is one of the best genre shows they’ve ever watched (one might say it’s a chaotic era of 3 Body Problem reactions). Yet among fans who have finished the show so far, one consistent reaction is emerging: The show’s cliffhanger ending (no spoilers here) left them really wanting to see what happens next.

And showrunners David Benioff, Dan Weiss and Alexander Woo suggest that a second season will be even better than the first. Benioff previously told The Hollywood Reporter for our deep dive cover story on the show (in a quote that has been expanded here): “At our first Comic-Con [for Game of Thrones] someone asked if we’re going to get a second season,” he said. “I remember saying there’s a scene that would happen in season three — I didn’t even want to name it, but ‘RW, for people who know — if we can get there, I think we’re going to be okay. And there’s a scene in the second season [of 3 Body Problem] that I feel is — it’s not the Judgment Day scene [in season one] — it’s one that happens in the second season … things wildly escape and there’s one scene, if we get to it, we’re golden — like when we got to the Red Wedding on Thrones.”

“It’s something we’ve talked about with the Netflix guys, too,” he added. “Liu Cixin’s created this indelible trilogy and the books just get better for me. The second book is far better than the first, and the third book just completely blew my mind. The story just gets more and more ambitious as it goes, and it takes a huge leap in book two. So I feel like if we survive to the second season, we’re going to be in a good place.”

I finally watched episode one last night… then binged the next three! Amazing so far… I keep editing where I think we are headed, from fear to hopeful to apocalypse. To… ?  Very clever slow reveal.