• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Auction
1 1

75 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 12:56 PM, 1classics said:

All I'll say is I did my best and really thought I was going to win it. Someone set up a very high proxy bid heading into the final 3 minute clock, which began around 18k if I remember correctly? Every time I bid I was immediately outbid until this amount with the bp, the next bid wou;d've put me over $40k, which in retrospect in my eyes was probably worth it being so historic and Torch's earliest known illustration, but I figured to hold more dry powder for other lots. Still pisses me off but congrats to whoever put in their high bid and won it. Just makes you think how high that max bid was haha.

I wish we could know:-) That's the beauty and horror of online bidding. Good on you for trying. It's an important piece of history.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:48 PM, 1classics said:

IMO the 375 was the one to go for. If you collected comics in that era you probably had or still have this book in a long box being the 30th Anniversary gold foil cover, not to mention it's regarded as one of if not thee best spidey vs venom battle issue of that era and has a direct tie into, or I should say leads into Venom Lethal Protector #1. The 375 pages as mentioned in the description for the auction just never come up and are held close to the chest, only 1 has been offered ever on Heritage, which was another panel page, not a splash, sold last year for $36k. This splash you're talking about was from 374, also coveted and part of the same battle, Heritage has only had 2 pages which both sold between $38-40k, one was returned and resold for $32k after frame was removed and found the page was adhered to a foamcore, which caused the page to ripple throughout.

On a side note, those bottom panels feature Anne Weying's first appearance freeing Peter's parents from Venom, she later becomes She-Venom in the comics and the Venom movies, played by Michelle Williams, not sure it adds value but still pretty cool.

The 379 I think was still a good deal and part of Maximum Carnage arc, great images, but more of a dialogue type of page and no battle, which is what collectors seem to gravitate to. Overall, great deals for both IMO, especially the 375.

Great breakdown. I make note of the higher prices being paid in contrast to five short years ago. In that sense the ask and get for these ASM pages have shot up.

Still, what you say is true. I think the buyers did very well. I'm positive that Bagley/Emberlin ASM pages are ones that will be untouchable in the near future. They don't come up very often publicly or privately.

I really like Bagley on ASM, as he was on the book when I started buying comics again after a 7 year hiatus. 

🍇 + 🦍 

On 3/20/2024 at 6:07 PM, grapeape said:

I wish we could know:-) That's the beauty and horror of online bidding. Good on you for trying. It's an important piece of history.

It’s a charming piece for an early drawing like that

On 3/20/2024 at 1:52 PM, Ecclectica said:

I still love Heck's women nowadays so I suppose I must be (secretly) 73 years old.

They are fun in a breakfast at Tiffany’s sort of way. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:48 PM, 1classics said:

IMO the 375 was the one to go for. If you collected comics in that era you probably had or still have this book in a long box being the 30th Anniversary gold foil cover, not to mention it's regarded as one of if not thee best spidey vs venom battle issue of that era and has a direct tie into, or I should say leads into Venom Lethal Protector #1. The 375 pages as mentioned in the description for the auction just never come up and are held close to the chest, only 1 has been offered ever on Heritage, which was another panel page, not a splash, sold last year for $36k. This splash you're talking about was from 374, also coveted and part of the same battle, Heritage has only had 2 pages which both sold between $38-40k, one was returned and resold for $32k after frame was removed and found the page was adhered to a foamcore, which caused the page to ripple throughout.

On a side note, those bottom panels feature Anne Weying's first appearance freeing Peter's parents from Venom, she later becomes She-Venom in the comics and the Venom movies, played by Michelle Williams, not sure it adds value but still pretty cool.

The 379 I think was still a good deal and part of Maximum Carnage arc, great images, but more of a dialogue type of page and no battle, which is what collectors seem to gravitate to. Overall, great deals for both IMO, especially the 375.

I definitely think the 375 page was sold for a very low price. It is an anniversary issue and as you said it feaured Ann Weying's 1st appearance. Heritage has had better results IMHO.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:57 AM, Bronty said:

It’s a charming piece for an early drawing like that

Yeah as Indiana would say "It belongs in a museum!" Congrats to whoever won it, just hope it wasn't a dealer and we see it on a site or a con for a crazy number!

On 3/21/2024 at 4:16 AM, timguerrero said:

I definitely think the 375 page was sold for a very low price. It is an anniversary issue and as you said it feaured Ann Weying's 1st appearance. Heritage has had better results IMHO.

To be fair, Heritage has only had 1 page from 375 in the 20+ years, but on that day there were 2 people that really wanted a great page, arguably better than this one, though it didn't have Ann in it. Also just shows these pages from this issue rarely change hands.

Yeah the Weying 1st appearance factor to some may actually be a big deal seeing she was She Venom not only in the books but had a role in the movie.

On 3/21/2024 at 12:11 PM, Xatari said:

I keep hoping they introduce Dylan Brock in the movies who has played a big role in Venom story over the last 5+ years.  Dylan is the son of Anne and Eddie.

That would be cool... and who knows if they continue the movie franchise, it's certainly not out of the question.

On 3/19/2024 at 6:06 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I took a big swing at the Quesada Xfactor cover but still fell short (thought it was a good price) but did pick up a few small pages that I thought went very cheap. Big mix of results in the auction overall you can take results and paint a sky is falling or the market is strong picture depending on which way you lean! 

I think CC and Clink having two good auctions following two big Heritage auctions shows that the market is rebounding from what I considered a lull. I think art prices plateaued for a little bit, but that people are buying what they love again and I think that will continue on. I think that Quesada will definitely go for double its sold price the next time it comes up for sale, so I wish you had gotten it.

On 3/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Aahz said:

I bought a Freak Brothers page this past year.  Multiple reasons that I wanted one and why this one was the page I wanted.  What I did not expect was how phenomenal the art is in person.  First it's oversize, but the level of detail really makes you stare at it.  

IMG_8189.jpeg

I bought two Bobby London Dirty Duck Book pages last year from a private collection and the level of detail and the gags on them are hilarious. I think Underground art will continue to stay strong for awhile. The pages were sold in 1972 by Rick Marshall for Bobby and they had been hidden away ever since, which doesn't hurt their value at all.