• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Whiteness
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering what your 2 Cents or Pence from where I am...is on this one...

In theory would a Golden Age comic be cleaned and pressed and go from 8.0-8.5? I don't see much difference if that's what its had. I guess it does look whiter! 

image.jpeg.b7ab501d319b4ff9ea9db4e64c4e5ae8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c505d73ab214aa72667ca15b44b197d.jpeg

Edited by BFA1971

Yes apologies I meant dry cleaned...which has made it whiter! However would this bump it up a half grade if all else stayed the same...

The latest technique is using blue light to lighten comic book covers, especially the white parts of the covers. (I have no idea whether that was done to this comic.)

CGC isn't treating it as restoration, probably because they don't have a way to detect it.

Here's one video on it:

On 3/20/2024 at 11:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The latest technique is using blue light to lighten comic book covers, especially the white parts of the covers. (I have no idea whether that was done to this comic.)

CGC isn't treating it as restoration, probably because they don't have a way to detect it.

Here's one video on it:

I thought CGC was treating this technique with PLODs.  There were a number of vidoes that were posted about it maybe summer of last year?

On 3/20/2024 at 1:27 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I thought CGC was treating this technique with PLODs.  There were a number of vidoes that were posted about it maybe summer of last year?

No, that treatment will not result in a PLOD. I don't even think CGC can detect it.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:24 PM, buttock said:

CGC is absolutely treating this as restoration with a PLOD.  It's not always detected, but when it is it gets a purple label.  

Using blue light with peroxide may be considered restoration in theory, but as I understand it, it's only detectable if someone messes up and blisters the paper—so there are presumably many, many blue-label books out there that have had this treatment.

Blue light is also being used without peroxide, i.e., blue light only. I don't believe that that is detectable at all. If it's used on non-white areas, it will cause fading, but CGC can't detect fading, anyway (unless it's severe). I don't think that CGC has ever claimed to be able to detect light-only whitening.

On 3/20/2024 at 3:14 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Here's one video on it:

Thank you so much for sharing jimbo_7071 :)

On 3/20/2024 at 8:36 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Using blue light with peroxide may be considered restoration in theory, but as I understand it, it's only detectable if someone messes up and blisters the paper—so there are presumably many, many blue-label books out there that have had this treatment.

Blue light is also being used without peroxide, i.e., blue light only. I don't believe that that is detectable at all. If it's used on non-white areas, it will cause fading, but CGC can't detect fading, anyway (unless it's severe). I don't think that CGC has ever claimed to be able to detect light-only whitening.

I've spoken with people at CGC directly about this, and there are videos all over the internet about people getting PLOD with this technique.  If you take it too far it's obvious.  

On 3/21/2024 at 11:07 AM, buttock said:

I've spoken with people at CGC directly about this, and there are videos all over the internet about people getting PLOD with this technique.  If you take it too far it's obvious.  

This is my recollection too... numerous videos of people being "shocked" that they'd gotten PLODs for simply "cleaning" the book with these techniques.  This is the thread I was thinking of covering this topic...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/520982-problems-with-cgc-grading-a-cleaned-and-pressed-book-with-a-purple-label-my-thoughts/#comments 

On 3/21/2024 at 11:27 AM, EastEnd1 said:

This is my recollection too... numerous videos of people being "shocked" that they'd gotten PLODs for simply "cleaning" the book with these techniques.  This is the thread I was thinking of covering this topic...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/520982-problems-with-cgc-grading-a-cleaned-and-pressed-book-with-a-purple-label-my-thoughts/#comments 

It's good to know that they're catching it some of the time—although I suspect that it's often missed.

Have you heard anything to suggest that CGC can detect light-only lightening? I don't know of any way that they could do that.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:30 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It's good to know that they're catching it some of the time—although I suspect that it's often missed.

Have you heard anything to suggest that CGC can detect light-only lightening? I don't know of any way that they could do that.

Can't say I've heard much about light-only brightening... though that strikes me as a far less intrusive (ie, egregious) approach.  I'd imagine it's much less successful as well.