• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with CGC grading a CLEANED and pressed book with a purple label. My thoughts.
7 7

217 posts in this topic

Im going to keep this short but would like the entire community to give me honest input. As of late CGC has been sending out purple labels left right and center for "RESTORATION FOR CLEANED COVER". Now heres the issue with this. Is dirt boogers and god knows what else part of a comic book when it comes off the press? I dont believe so no. Would a person rather own a book covered in filth versus a cleaned cover that brings the book back as close to new as it can be? I believe so yes. CGC hasnt had a problem with cleaning books until recently. Even in the CGC grading guide nowhere does it mention that cleaning the cover could be construed as "RESTORATION". By definition means to "RESTORE". I think CGC allowing a person to openly give an opinion on if a book is "TOO CLEAN FOR ITS AGE", is a really bad precedent. By grading books with purple labels for a simple cleaning is killing the community as of late. Its all anyone is talking about in the clean and press community. Unless CGC changes its standards and DEFINES restoration as CLEANING A COVER USING STANDARD METHODS. I think CGC will be taking a pretty big hit long term to its submissions. Theres ALOT of extremely good professional cleaners and pressers out there submitting thousands of books a year for their clients. When those clients start getting purple labels back well there goes the client. CGC You are only hurting the community as a whole doing this. NOONE is saying "ohhh thank GOD that booger and blood and dirt is still on this comic phew!"

On 4/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, namisgr said:

Using chemicals to clean covers has been a method of restoration since well before CGC opened for business.  It changes the gloss, inks and paper underneath the dirt it's meant to remove.  It's been rightly considered as restoration by CGC from their beginning.

That dirt is not part of the comic when it comes off the press accounts for it being considered wear and a defect.

Dry cleaning methods are another matter, and CGC has from its beginning treated them differently than chemical methods.

People are getting purple labels for "cover cleaned" when it was just a basic dry clean no chemicals used. 

On 4/16/2023 at 11:29 AM, arDeaton said:

People are getting purple labels for "cover cleaned" when it was just a basic dry clean no chemicals used. 

Like I wrote, that's a different matter.  And certainly not the one expressed by the original poster, who lamented that boogers and blood couldn't be removed without being considered restoration.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:09 AM, arDeaton said:

I think he missed the restorations. I missed them once in a while. Sometimes, reputed sellers missed them but we always work it out.   It's your responsible to check the restorations before you purchase or submit your books to CGC.

He should have contacted CCS or any professional restoration services to learn about the dry cleaning and chemical.  He should have read this link from here - 

He should have asked CCS to screen the books if there is any restorations.  

He hadn't used opportunities but instead he complained on his vlog.

Edited by JollyComics

On 4/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Hey Pal! said:

I agree. Even if he hadn't done any cleaning at all the book still would've come back Purple.

Yep!  Three books are restored. That is a lot he missed them.  He needs to be re-educate himself instead of complaining.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:51 AM, kimik said:

Better question - where did he buy the books from? If he only did dry cleaning as claimed, then the seller he bought them from likely did it.

This was my first thought.