• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Jason Ewert and Pedigreed comics

40 posts in this topic

How is it I can submit a book with a Metro mylar indicating the pedigree and expect it to be noted even though I could swap the book out if I wished, but cannot expect it to be noted if I submit a previously slabbed book with the slab label indicating the pedigree?

Who said you can`t? I`m pretty sure that if you submit a pedigree book with the previous label, it`ll get re-recognized as a pedigree.

The who was right here in this thread:

Or, in other words, can a pedigreed comic be taken out of its holder and resubmitted while retaining the same pedigree? confused.gif

No.

Hence the confusion. =)

I have submitted a couple without documantation, only a note of where it was purchased and had no issues smile.gif

I did the same thing as well. I resubmitted a pedigree book that was previously deslabbed by a former owner. I received the pedigree notation and a higher grade, I then submitted the old label to CGC so they would update the census.

One follow-up question. Are there any tell-tale signs of amateur pressing that I could look for on these two comics? I noticed that both books have a slightly different appearance from some of the others I own -- i.e., there is more bleed-through on the front covers. Is this typical for these issues?

there is more bleed-through on the front covers. Is this typical for these issues?

Bleed-through is definitely one of the signs of possible pressing.

On it's own, though, it means little. Do either of them slide around easily in the slabs? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not particularly...but I'm not sure I like the top edges on either. I'll post a large image of each book later this evening.

there is more bleed-through on the front covers. Is this typical for these issues?

On it's own, though, it means little. Do either of them slide around easily in the slabs? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not particularly...but I'm not sure I like the top edges on either. I'll post a large image of each book later this evening.

I'm not sure that I am getting this.....are you saying that these PAC Coast books have been cleaned and pressed and/or trimmed?????

Nick, isn't bleed through from ink transfer? The oils from the interior pages saturate the covers and make them look translucent. gossip.gif

I'm not sure that I am getting this.....are you saying that these PAC Coast books have been cleaned and pressed and/or trimmed?????

I don't know either way. I'm just working off the suggestions of others who are more knowledgeable about comics than I am.

Nick, isn't bleed through from ink transfer? The oils from the interior pages saturate the covers and make them look translucent. gossip.gif

They do, and it could mean nothing, but when a book is pressed under extreme heat, a consequence is often the creation of bleed-through. thumbsup2.gif

They do, and it could mean nothing, but when a book is pressed under extreme heat, a consequence is often the creation of bleed-through. thumbsup2.gif

If a comic is pressed under extreme heat, you have far worse results than bleed through. The entire book will warp. Makes the bleed through something of a non-issue when the book won't lie flat.

If a comic is pressed under extreme heat, you have far worse results than bleed through. The entire book will warp. Makes the bleed through something of a non-issue when the book won't lie flat.

Of course, there is that as well... tongue.gif

You on the side of the angels, now, Resto Boy? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

The statements above certainly answer the question in the other thread as to how the Ewert fiasco has changed people. People are starting to see bogey-men behind every tree. PC books are notable for their sharp edges, so I don't think this alone would make them suspicious at all. Anyways, having looked at the scans, it would take some real skill in the #57 to trim the top edge in a way that blends so seamlessly into the slightly blunted top right corner. The #56 also doesn't look trimmed, although I am no expert on trimming.

Pressing is a different issue. As Linmoth has pointed out on these boards, the PCs actually make great pressing candidates because their structural quality is so high, meaning that often times their defects tend to be of the non-color breaking variety that can be "fixed" by pressing. My impression is that most only need localized pressing, so query whether significant bleed through would occur in those circumstances. Of course, if the rumors are to be believed, the Ewert factory ran EVERY book through a full press, whether they needed it or not and even if only localized pressing was needed.

Of course, there is that as well... tongue.gif

You on the side of the angels, now, Resto Boy? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

What is the side of the angels? I have always been opposed to pressing of books by . But pressing by a guy like Matt Nelson, who has done thousands of books and isn't going to screw up a book by pressing it? Doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't pay any less for a book I wanted simply because I knew Matt had pressed it.