• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATTLE BRADY #14 Possible "L (or A?)" Pedigree copy? MyComicShop auction ending 3/25

8 posts in this topic

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=60464722
I picked this up from mycomicshop In February and had them hold it for consignment, they have another copy graded at 2.0, so my copy wasn't mirrored on eBay.

I probably should have posted about this book earlier, the auction ends in less than 2 days.... :wavingwhiteflag:

Does anyone know if the notation on the front cover in the the trade dress is indictive of a pedigree collection?

The marking looks like an "L" to me, second guess is an "A". I've attached the MCS FC scan and an enlarged screen grab of the area of the front cover with the notation written on it.

Mycomicshop shows my purchase of this book in 2/2024 as the only other recorded sale of a copy of Battle Brady #14 at MyComicShop.com.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=60310010

They currently have another copy of this book listed, without any such notation on the cover, also graded at 2.0 and priced at $50.00.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=7058131

Both of these books look like 3.0/3.5's to me, FWIW. But if you regularly buy from MCS, you know they purposely under grade to keep eBay complaints and/or returns to a minimum.

battlebrady14Screenshot.JPG

battlebrady14FCmycomicshopPedigreeMaybe.jpg

On 3/23/2024 at 9:07 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

Does anyone know if the notation on the front cover in the the trade dress is indictive of a pedigree collection?

Yes.

No.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:34 PM, adamstrange said:

Yes.

No.

Haha, well played.

I didn't think it was very likely to be from some sort of pedigree collection.

I did compare it to about the first 80% of pictures in a search results showing CGC recognized pedigree collections, I had two books in my Beinfang to take out while looking thru the pictures of CGC recognized pedigree collections....than gave up searching said pictures.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:26 AM, Darwination said:

Would 3 and a half inches of spine split and a detached cover cap the grade?  

Yes, indeed. :cheers:

Based on the MCS graders' notes, the FC scan and knowing how MCS purposefully undergrades books to avoid returns, I would estimate the grade of this book at around 6.5 Universal, NOT accounting for the 3.5" cumulative spine split along the  cover detachment.

The most eye glaring defect I can see is what looks like a small chip out of the spine located at the bottom of the "B" in "BRADY".

I pulled up the scan to see that better and screenshot it at 146%, see the attached image below.

What initially looks like a small chip out of the spine at said location is actually a bent over tear to the cover's spine cover, which would be an aspect of the MCS graders note of 3.5" cumulative spine split to the cover & detached cover. The exposed interior side of the cover at that tiny bent back tear is pretty close to white to my eyes. which I read as a trace amount of distilled water on a q-tip applied to that area,than holding that bend back in its original position for 15 seconds between one's thumb and finger....than bagging and boarding the back, would result in replacing that bent tear back into position on the cover's spine, removing the eye sore.

MCS graders' notes on the other GD 2.0 copy of theirs in stock at $50,  denote something along the line sof oxidation.

No such MCS graders notes are present on this copy in auction.

Taking ALL into account, I'd estimate the grade of this book to most likely a Universal 4.0.

See Conan Saunders' posts in the MyComicShop consignment feedback thread on this board for a description on the why/how/what concerning MCS graders' notes, if you're not very familiar with MCS grading.

Here's an example:

battlebrady14screenshot146.JPG

On 3/23/2024 at 9:07 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

Both of these books look like 3.0/3.5's to me, FWIW. But if you regularly buy from MCS, you know they purposely under grade to keep eBay complaints and/or returns to a minimum.

I've bought several raw books from them. A couple were tightly graded, but the others appeared to be graded about right. It might depend on which person is grading them.