• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this? Why do some slabs get this and others do not?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Very new to owning slabs and noticed the attached difference in 3 slabs I just received.

I highlighted the issue in a red box. What is the reason for 2 of these comics (outer left and right) to have the clear plastic near the spine, but the comic in the middle of this photo does not have this?

What is the clear plastic for? Thanks...BackCovers-02.thumb.jpg.8f09fa75d6d40bea5a4081433fe659d2.jpg

On 3/25/2024 at 6:43 AM, KCOComics said:

@The Lions Den explained this once. 

I think it's basically used at the graders discrepancy, when they feel a comic needs to be stabilized. 

I can't explain why some comics would need it and other nearly identical comics wouldn't.  

To be honest, the encapsulation team usually makes the call on whether a book requires a wedge or not. And while many comics may appear to be identical, there are often slight differences in the cut and overall size of a particular book which can result in the book being able to shift inside the inner well. It's also possible that the slab crew simply ran out of the right wells and had to improvise. Either way, just think of the wedge as an additional safety device and you've got the right idea... 

@The Lions Den, this makes since. I figured this is what was going on. However, the comics look similar in thickness size so it was confusing.

@ThothAmon, I removed the QR code and census # from the picture. The CGCs series do have QR codes.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:50 AM, The Lions Den said:

To be honest, the encapsulation team usually makes the call on whether a book requires a wedge or not. And while many comics may appear to be identical, there are often slight differences in the cut and overall size of a particular book which can result in the book being able to shift inside the inner well. It's also possible that the slab crew simply ran out of the right wells and had to improvise. Either way, just think of the wedge as an additional safety device and you've got the right idea... 

I'd like to suggest that we refer to these as wedgies from this point forward...

On 3/25/2024 at 10:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'd like to suggest that we refer to these as wedgies from this point forward...

Raising old scotch glass with a cigar in the other hand, while standing at the head of a long wooden meeting table we are all seated at, on the top floor of some dusting company building.

"HERE HERE! Old Chap! Agreed..."

On 3/25/2024 at 9:13 PM, Kortoga said:

Raising old scotch glass with a cigar in the other hand, while standing at the head of a long wooden meeting table we are all seated at, on the top floor of some dusting company building.

"HERE HERE! Old Chap! Agreed..."

Hip Hip