• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JSA acquisition is going to be a game changer for Signed non witnessed books
9 9

150 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 12:19 AM, DougC said:

I do not currently believe any authentication company will pass the DF 1990's Kirby signatures. They are not going to come out and say it specifically because they want your money.

The thought process 10 years ago was that some may have been real but most were signed by Roz (as stated by Borock working for CBCS and a few have JSA/PSA Stickers) but today it is all but consensus that they are not his signature and no authentication company is going to pass these books:

• Uncanny X-Men #304 (750 copies)
  • Milestone X-Men #1 (2000 copies)
  • Marvel Milestone Edition Fantastic Four #1 (2000* +/-)

This is correct. The Kirby proxy signature may have slid through some TPAs in the past. These days most, if not all, TPAs are up to speed on it.

On 10/10/2024 at 12:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

This is correct. The Kirby proxy signature may have slid through some TPAs in the past. These days most, if not all, TPAs are up to speed on it.

why I bought this.... now just need them to start JSAing magazine sized submissions!

kirby.JPG.25a71f223ca8eb8e7565e35e9e2ee78f.JPG

On 10/9/2024 at 12:46 PM, Mayor006 said:

So is this what we are thinking the sketch does to a 9.8? Takes it down to a 9? I've got a couple of sketches that I might be ok with this just due to rarity and they are more personal to me than anything. They've survived all this time as raw but it's a thought.

With Dale's sketch covers, it's more about the art and protecting the book. With this workspace, he can be a bit hard on the back covers.... so grade is less important.

Dale Keown work area.jpg

Edited by Ron C.

On 10/10/2024 at 5:30 PM, Ron C. said:

With Dale's sketch covers, it's more about the art and protecting the book. With this workspace, he can be a bit hard on the back covers.... so grade is less important.

Dale Keown work area.jpg

While I wish this were true aspirationally, it is not always true for resale.  Push back on pricing because of grade does occur on sketches.  For a fantastic sketch with a smudged back cover, it may be worth it to get the back cover cleaned up with another sketch and push that grade up.  Your mileage may vary, but I have sold a LOT of sketch covers.

Just saw this submitting a book with sigs on the first page and laughed my butt off.

I have no idea what a “signature grade” is and no interest in one, but poor Stan the Man is about to get hammered I would think.

Romita? 10/10 immaculate placement. 
Steranko? 10/10

AF 15 with Stan’s signature in sharpie across Spidey’s face because they were propping him up in a chair like Brian Wilson in 1974? (Who knows but that’s gotta be a party foul at minimum)

IMG_6140.jpeg

On 10/11/2024 at 4:00 PM, Corvonie said:

Just saw this submitting a book with sigs on the first page and laughed my butt off.

I have no idea what a “signature grade” is and no interest in one, but poor Stan the Man is about to get hammered I would think.

Romita? 10/10 immaculate placement. 
Steranko? 10/10

AF 15 with Stan’s signature in sharpie across Spidey’s face because they were propping him up in a chair like Brian Wilson in 1974? (Who knows but that’s gotta be a party foul at minimum)

IMG_6140.jpeg

Aesthetic placement on the comic does not matter for signature grade. It's the quality and contrast of the signature... not how pleasing the placement is. Placement only counts if it is a background that creates poor contrast with the signature. 

On 10/11/2024 at 4:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Aesthetic placement on the comic does not matter for signature grade. It's the quality and contrast of the signature... not how pleasing the placement is. Placement only counts if it is a background that creates poor contrast with the signature. 

a) thanks for taking the time to respond seriously to my poop post.  

b) that's really interesting.  I still couldn't care less about it personally, but I'm sure it's something that matters to serious signature collectors and may have more of an impact on memorabilia, etc, that JSA is known for.

On 10/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, seanfingh said:

While I wish this were true aspirationally, it is not always true for resale.  Push back on pricing because of grade does occur on sketches.  For a fantastic sketch with a smudged back cover, it may be worth it to get the back cover cleaned up with another sketch and push that grade up.  Your mileage may vary, but I have sold a LOT of sketch covers.

I agree... and I have added many a back cover sketch to improve the book grade. Sometimes, it works really well and bails out a bad grade. Sometimes, the back cover is so much better than the front that you wish that you had just started with a new blank. There are then artists like Dale Keown where the art is Jackson Pollock-esq.... amazing talent, but there could be splatter marks anywhere inside or outside of the book.