• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

395 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 8:44 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Of course, just because one LCS owner told me such does not mean notification was widespread as I do not recall the owner of A&M telling, at least, me about 300.

I'll end by saying that I used to purchase "tons" of copies of many of the "crop" that was published. Much of it is presently still "crop." I wish I could fertilize my garden with them.

I remember three times when LCSs in my area put out sign up sheets for customers to claim a number of anticipated copies in advance. The first was Dazzler 1, which was sure to be a smash with the new ground-breaking distribution model and the disco-based lead character that was immediately popular after her debut in X-Men. I signed up for 5 copies of that one. The second was Frank Miller's Ronin 1, which was sure to be a smash because Miller was hot and everything he touched turned to gold. I signed up for 10 copies of that one. The third time was for ASM 300, which was sure to be a smash because of a new cool villain coupled with it being a milestone issue (number 300). By this point I had started university, but still hung out in comic shops from time to time. I remember lots of conversations in those stores about ASM 300 as it was about to release, and lots of people excitedly signing up for whatever number of copies, but after being somewhat burned the other times I signed up to buy lots of copies of hot new comics I passed on it.   

Whenever I go through discussions about spec comics I always think of this. The form of spec comics has changed, but the idea of people buying up copies of comics they figured would be hot one day has been around for as long as comics have been collectible. And I am really, really bad at spec. 

Edit: Just to bring this back around to the topic and my original point, when customers were buying up multiple copies of books and read one while putting the rest directly away, I would expect to find more 9.9s and 10.s assuming the distribution went smoothly and books were not damaged in transit to local stores. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 6/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, Stefan_W said:

I remember three times when LCSs in my area put out sign up sheets for customers to claim a number of anticipated copies in advance. The first was Dazzler 1, which was sure to be a smash with the new ground-breaking distribution model and the disco-based lead character that was immediately popular after her debut in X-Men. I signed up for 5 copies of that one. The second was Frank Miller's Ronin 1, which was sure to be a smash because Miller was hot and everything he touched turned to gold. I signed up for 10 copies of that one. The third time was for ASM 300, which was sure to be a smash because of a new cool villain coupled with it being a milestone issue (number 300). By this point I had started university, but still hung out in comic shops from time to time. I remember lots of conversations in those stores about ASM 300 as it was about to release, and lots of people excitedly signing up for whatever number of copies, but after being somewhat burned the other times I signed up to buy lots of copies of hot new comics I passed on it.   

Whenever I go through discussions about spec comics I always think of this. The form of spec comics has changed, but the idea of people buying up copies of comics they figured would be hot one day has been around for as long as comics have been collectible. And I am really, really bad at spec. 

Edit: Just to bring this back around to the topic and my original point, when customers were buying up multiple copies of books and read one while putting the rest directly away, I would expect to find more 9.9s and 10.s assuming the distribution went smoothly and books were not damaged in transit to local stores. 

Its a good point. Its like someone making a thousand predictions and one of them turning out to be right and saying that guy knows what he is talking about. 

On 6/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, Stefan_W said:

I agree, there should be more 9.9s and 10s of ASM 300, etc., all things being equal.

As for the is "25s", e.g., ASM 200, 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, ... I, at least, would always purchase tons of them if only because they were 25s. A part of my reason for doing so was that "other collectors also love 25s". Now I'm (shrug) on that point. I still collect 25s, to some extent, likely wasting my "comic book money."

As for first issues, I have more than I care to admit; we all very likely do. Thus far, very few have reached the high peaks, but many have at least made the climb (Excuse my climbing analogy as I've lately again started reading a lot about scaling Mount Everest, not that I ever will. :bigsmile:)

As concerns speculating on comic books, based on my experience, comic book collectors, hoarders, etc., have been speculating on issues at least since the late Silver Age at least in my small part of northern New Jersey (Union City, West New York, Weehawken, Hoboken, North Bergen, Guttenberg, Jersey City, etc., into Bergen County) . Whether that was widespread, I have no idea.

IMG_3071.thumb.jpeg.a371dbb6390560b1f895dae5ddf18bae.jpeg
IMG_3070.thumb.jpeg.4ffc97788a3f37af5c3ad7512df07efd.jpeg

The 9.9 market from an auction that closed on CL last night for Wolverine 1 roughly half of what it went for 6 months ago on HA. Still commanding an insane price if 9.9’s begin to get handed out more frequently this will be a book that should see many 9.9’s hit due to volume of high grade copies that exist.

On 6/28/2024 at 4:41 PM, wiparker824 said:

IMG_3108.thumb.jpeg.f1df0e822022184839a7a4a8c21fa938.jpeg

Will it even crack 6 figures?

It's only gone up 1k since it was last posted, which has been a while but not might be this thread 😞 

Yeah, a lot of these CC auctions go up right before that 3 minute cutoff where they add time if you bid after that. We shall see. For the record I’m not selling (I wish) or bidding this book, just watching as an observer. I have not stake in it though.

Edited by wiparker824