• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

369 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 5:16 PM, Microchip said:

The adage "buy the book, not the grade" applies to 9.9 shopping as well.    There's chin scratchers at every grade.

I agree every collector should look at the book and if they believe the grade matches then they should buy it, etc.

However there are many people in the hobby with basically unlimited money.  Where 100k is like 1K to us.   So they are buying the "bragging rights" and not the book.  Feel me?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 5:59 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

:sick:

(tsk)

No Means No Button

It all depends on who is trying. (shrug)

The More You Know': There's More to Know - The Atlantic

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/7/2024 at 10:34 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I agree every collector should look at the book and if they believe the grade matches then they should buy it, etc.

However there are many people in the hobby with basically unlimited money.  Where 100k is like 1K to us.   So they are buying the "bragging rights" and not the book.  Feel me?

Agreed.  And there's no shortage of guys buying the label first, bragging rights, registry points, what ever it is.  There's no getting away from that, but with the big ticket books bought on the open market, the investment aspect is a big piece of the equation, and the label grade does take on more importance, as CGC has turned the book into a commodity, that can easily be traded.   A $100 note is $100, and 9.9 is a 9.9 book at the end of the day.    The CGC grade becomes the dominant feature of a book once it's slabbed. 

On 6/6/2024 at 7:19 PM, Microchip said:

Agreed.  And there's no shortage of guys buying the label first, bragging rights, registry points, what ever it is.  There's no getting away from that, but with the big ticket books bought on the open market, the investment aspect is a big piece of the equation, and the label grade does take on more importance, as CGC has turned the book into a commodity, that can easily be traded.   A $100 note is $100, and 9.9 is a 9.9 book at the end of the day.    The CGC grade becomes the dominant feature of a book once it's slabbed. 

Exactly!

Everyone has to make that decision on every book as to at what point do they see the book vs the money. 

Take Amazing Spider-Man #300.  At CGC 9.8 I only see the money, but at CGC 9.6 I see the book again lol

Others see CGC 9.6 as the money and the CGC 9.4 as the book again.  Some only see the book in CGC 9.8 holder and everything below as beneath their standards.

Take my favorite comic book run of all time Cockrum/Claremont/Byrne X-men #94-143 run.  Nicely centered CGC 9.6's are where I see the book in a nice grade to keep, but any CGC 9.8's I go straight to auction to cash in.  Those 9.8 buyers loving having the book in CGC 9.8.  All about income level and preference.  For me is how much do I want to have into each of my personal copies in my collection without feeling the money into each isnt just sitting in a box and not earning me money elsewhere.

On 5/29/2024 at 6:06 PM, Microchip said:

I'm not normally in for joining a pile on, but this book astounded me when I went to the scan.   It's coming up for auction shortly, and it is completely underwhelming :facepalm::o

WL #1 CGC 10.0.jpeg

So there's a lot smoke around this book...

The video speculates that Comicconnect is sitting on 10 copies of CGC 9.9 copies of this book from the the latest submission numbers linking the books together.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 1:18 AM, Microchip said:

A solid start of $36k with just over three weeks to go.

The census population today is that this book is alone in the top spot.   The obvious question is what the population will look like this time next year, and the year after.    

The stoppage on 9.9's in now removed, and the top grading band is now going to be expended from 9.4 - 9.8 to 9.4 - 9.9.    

We've spent the last two decades pointing out the that grading on 9.4's, 9.6's, and 9.8's is inconsistent, and now another tier of grading is added into the mix.   Well it ensures an endless stream of threads on grading for the next two decades as well :banana:

:facepalm: 

image.thumb.png.a9ad6eca5580652535eb85477df799f6.png

Well it seems to me that CGC must have made a conscious decision to start a trend of 9.9 graded books. Whether this be to promote more income through re-submissions of existing 9.8's or, less likely in my view, to fix their past grading errors.The former would seem the more realistic answer.

It's a shame that the leading comic grading company should feel the need to start re-grading higher than before and it is highly likely that this X-Men comic is a resubmitted 9.8. We can't prove it but, its so unlikely that this 9.9 comic has been hidden away in a vault all this time.

I think it represents yet another black mark in CGC's activities and like many other people, I wonder where this situation will end up ?

eg. Crack open all your key 9.8's, get them repressed by an expert and resubmit to CGC for a 9.9. What a crazy scenario we find ourselves in.

Edited by Colin Nash
Typo errors

On 6/7/2024 at 5:37 AM, joeypost said:

We know it will never happen, but it would be nice to see the link between 10/9.9 books and who submitted them. I imagine a pattern would emerge. 

Rumor has it the submitter is named Benjamin Franklin.

On 6/7/2024 at 6:57 PM, royaluglydudes said:

He must be diversifying.

Service Plumber | Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Manchester, CT

Can he fix the leak in CGC's grading system ?

On 6/7/2024 at 1:18 AM, Microchip said:

A solid start of $36k with just over three weeks to go.

The census population today is that this book is alone in the top spot.   The obvious question is what the population will look like this time next year, and the year after.    

The stoppage on 9.9's in now removed, and the top grading band is now going to be expended from 9.4 - 9.8 to 9.4 - 9.9.    

We've spent the last two decades pointing out the that grading on 9.4's, 9.6's, and 9.8's is inconsistent, and now another tier of grading is added into the mix.   Well it ensures an endless stream of threads on grading for the next two decades as well :banana:

:facepalm: 

image.thumb.png.a9ad6eca5580652535eb85477df799f6.png

Well it seems to me that CGC must have made a conscious decision to start a trend of 9.9 graded books. Whether this be to promote more income through re-submissions of existing 9.8's or, less likely in my view, to fix their past grading errors.The former would seem the more realistic answer.

It's a shame that the leading comic grading company should feel the need to start re-grading higher than before and it is highly likely that this X-Men comic is a resubmitted 9.8. We can't prove it but, its so unlikely that this 9.9 comic has been hidden away in a vault all this time.

I think its represents yet another black mark in CGC's activities and like many others, wonder where this situation will end up ?

Ie. Crack open all your key 9.8's, get them repressed by an expert and resubmit to CGC for a 9.9. What a crazy scenario.

Just wait until all of 0-10 is broken down into 0.2 increments.

”Re-sub your 8.5s for a CPR!  That 8.6 is within reach!”

”No way should you re-sub that 0.5, what if it comes back a 0.4?!?”

On 6/7/2024 at 4:16 PM, mattn792 said:

Just wait until all of 0-10 is broken down into 0.2 increments.

”Re-sub your 8.5s for a CPR!  That 8.6 is within reach!”

”No way should you re-sub that 0.5, what if it comes back a 0.4?!?”

#1 - Makes prediction that CGC will eventually have all .2 increments.

#2 - Provides two examples of CGC making .1 increments.

O.o

On 6/7/2024 at 4:38 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

O.o

Pre-grade:  legacy 0.5 system

Post-grade: new 0.2 system

Thanks for playing.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 7:34 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

There are certainly people like what you describe. But there is another reason. There are many in the hobby that have little in the way of grading skills. They can't "buy the book not the label" because they lack the experience to see defects and assess their likely impact on the grade of the book. And restoration. It's easy for experienced collectors to miss small amounts of professional restoration and tiny amounts of amateur. 

So for a good number of newbies and amateurs - "buy the book not the label" really should not be a thing. New collectors or legally blind collectors or just lacking enough experience collectors should be able to count on professional grading and encapsulation is an equalizer. What's on the label is what it is. 

Edited by Tony S

On 6/8/2024 at 1:37 PM, mattn792 said:
On 6/8/2024 at 7:38 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

O.o

Pre-grade:  legacy 0.5 system

Post-grade: new 0.2 system

Thanks for playing.

The cards have 3 metrics for the overall grade.... give it time... give it time

"So many 9.9s (10s) sitting as 9.8s."

"We grade what is in front of us, not behind us."