• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progression of Comic Art Buying Question(s)
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2024 at 10:49 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Sorry man,I debated with 7+ years, but 5 years, especially the last 5 years for a newbie would be a very skewed worldview in this hobby. 

Nah, it’s cool.  And I totally agree with you! I wouldn’t take comic art buying advice from me either!  I have no clue!

image.gif.9c96c1529dcdc96ea13064dd203c71e6.gif

Slightly different story. Gave up collecting comics back in the mid 90s when I found one dealers nm was another Fine minus. Got back into it after the Flash TV show. In Australia many of the options for buying comics and art are not here. By 2016 the internet had changed that. Business was still going well and the Australian Tax Office had changed our tax law on depreciation to allow 100% write off for asset purchases under A$20K. So I jumped in and the thresholds I set for myself soon were eclipsed. "I just want this cover and then I am done" - "I just need SA page for this artist and character and then I am done":) . Then stuff happened. One of our board members offered me some SA pages,  the agent I  started with was also Brett Booths, and Finches agent, and soon I was chasing pages before they had ever hit the site. (I have actually bought a high % of my stuff from agents of stuff never listed and in some cases entire books before the book even hit "solicitations".  Have aimed at Covers and splashes mainly since mid 2016 when I realized that they would be an easier sell to an auditor if that ever happened. The fact I like them also helped.

I still say buy what you love, but as someone here said, jump boots in on research. Become an expert in your chosen area. If possible find another kindred soul (Bill C. take a bow). Keep eyes and ears open, to other thoughts, but don't buy what others think is "hot - or looks cheap", if it is not really what you are into.

Also don't throw a ton of money at "ordinary pages". Better pool it for something that will always take your breath away.

(Of course not talking about flipping, here. )

Good luck.

On 5/9/2024 at 10:43 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

don't buy what others think is "hot - or looks cheap", if it is not really what you are into.

This is stellar advice. I've done that a couple times over the past two years - and I sent the art off to auction because it wasn't what I was into, but I thought it might be interesting to branch out. Spoiler alert: it wasn't. The jury is still out whether if it will be a win, lose or draw on what I get out of them - but, yeah: lesson learned.