• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Beerbohm, June 17, 1952 - Mar. 27, 2024
5 5

37 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2024 at 12:38 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

I sold some comics to Bob in the 70's, one of which I regretted since it was one of the first GA books I had bought in the early 60's that I had done a small repair to. Years later in the late 80's I was at a comic book store in Eureka California and there it was, the exact same book hanging on the wall. I had to have it back and bought it right then and there. One of my few keepers. Funny how those things work out.

What's the book? I'm sure we'd all love to see it!

I enjoyed Bob's posts and appreciated his depth of knowledge. Bought from him in person once. He was polite and surprised I was legit when I pulled out the considerable amount of cash. I guess he thought I was kicking tires. He suffered at the end and I wish his daughter the best. RIP Bob.

This is the link to the GoFundMe that was set up for Bob's daughter Katy to pay for Bob's final expenses and to help her, as she uprooted herself across the country to take care of her dad in his final months, quitting her job, and only starting a new one the day he passed. Paul Levitz, Doc V, Neil Gaiman, Steve Englehart, and many others have stepped up to the plate to help out. They are very close to their stated goal, and it would be nice if the CGC boards could put them over the top.

https://gofund.me/fc2d47ce

On 3/29/2024 at 6:57 AM, KirbyJack said:

I have Bob to thank for turning me on to underground comics. Bob taught me how to pronounce Alex Toth's name (rhymes with "both"). Bob gave me my first lesson on EC history. Bob had us out to his place in Fremont, Nebraska just to see a complete GA Superman and Action collection. 

And one time, Bob was set up at a comic show, alone as usual. He was, at that time, apparently under the misimpression that I worked for Dean Phillips at Krypton Comics. He needed to smoke and pee, so he grabbed my arm, dragged me to his booth, and told me to watch it. If memory serves, I even sold a cheap book for him. When Bob got back, he immediately accused me of either allowing a comic to be stolen, or stealing it myself. When I was finally allowed to explain that I did not work for Dean, the entire matter was dropped. I assure you, nothing of any consequence was stolen on my watch. I related the story to Dean, and he was not surprised. Apparently, Bob liked to use that tactic to mitigate debt he had with Dean. 

There is good and bad to all of us, but there is no doubt that my life is a little better for having known Bob Beerbohm.  

This is crazy. But I guess it represents the dual nature of the human condition.

Bob was so driven to preserve comics history that he would tape his interviews of the greats, and he should be lauded for this. That the same man was also capable of this conduct to you, KirbyJack, is astonishing 

On 3/31/2024 at 6:18 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

This is the link to the GoFundMe that was set up for Bob's daughter Katy to pay for Bob's final expenses and to help her, as she uprooted herself across the country to take care of her dad in his final months, quitting her job, and only starting a new one the day he passed. Paul Levitz, Doc V, Neil Gaiman, Steve Englehart, and many others have stepped up to the plate to help out. They are very close to their stated goal, and it would be nice if the CGC boards could put them over the top.

the irony here is inescapable. I always thought Bob got into book trouble due to his desperate attempts to fund his daughter’s medical needs, and I admired him for his strong sense of responsibility to family. so it’s only fitting that it’s come to this. 

im happy to give, same as to jimjum

On 3/31/2024 at 6:18 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

He just met it

On 3/31/2024 at 7:18 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Done.