• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Beerbohm, June 17, 1952 - Mar. 27, 2024
5 5

37 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

My friend Bob Wayne just notified me of Bob Beerbohm's passing yesterday which seemed a bit odd only because he'd just responded to a FB posting very recently, either yesterday or the day before. Those who knew Bob or of Bob, knew him as a cantankerous sort and often stubborn, but a devoted comics fan and a historian ...albeit controversial... on the subject of comics for many years. This probably belongs in the notices section, but most from the GA side rarely venture over to General and this is where he's most known by legend especially to those who ran afoul of his passionate beliefs which he held onto like a junkyard dog. Bob was a devoted family man, collector and comic dealer, active from the late 60's on in the Bay area for many years. His writings, while often contentious, were filled with information and well researched, even when he may have reached conclusions not agreed with by consensus. His dedication to the hobby and advocacy will be missed. Obadiah Oldbuck will have a new chapter with Bob's arrival.

Rest In Peace, dude! :foryou:

Well put, Cat. 71 is too young. RIP, Mr. Beerbohm

Very sad news. Many Bay Area fans went to all of his stores and bought comics from him at many conventions throughout the Seventies and Eighties. I particularly remember when he opened a store at Pier 39 in the late Seventies. I was shocked that a comic store could afford the rent at all. Bob pulled out all of the stops and had an amazing selection of vintage Golden Age comics, original art and memorabilia. I remember he had five uncirculated copies of the first Overstreet Price Guide in white for about $75 each. I wish I had bought one but I passed. The store didn't last long probably because of the high rents but it was amazing while it was open. He definitely was one of the more controversial people from fandom's golden age but now we should just focus on the good things he did and remember him as someone who loved comics and  helped many people improve their collections over the years.

There is no doubt that Bob had a lot of facts and stories rattling around his brain about comics, fandom, and their history. And some were really helpful. He and I had a long chat about Dave Wigransky a few years back. It was the only time I ever talked to him. He was pleasant and curious and we shared info.

I will not forget his disappointment when I told him Wigransky had talked to Richard Kyle and Ron Graham back in the early 60s.  He could not believe he didn’t know and he lamented that their knowledge of Wigransky was lost because no one connected the dots until after they had died. He knew both of them and it was clear he felt the loss of that opportunity.

With that I can deeply sympathize.

• Administrator

I met Bob at a dinner that I hosted for the CBCA during NYCC around 2008.  Him and I both stepped outside for a smoke.  I really enjoyed listening to him about how it was with comics long ago.  I also had to remind him that he had not yet paid for the dinner, as everyone else did weeks ago.  He hated to give it up but, I was able to yank it out of his hand.  LOL  RIP Bob

On 3/29/2024 at 5:33 AM, ThothAmon said:

I know I have received packages over the millennia from Bob. I’m sure his personality was honed over decades of seeing all the shenanigans a comic book dealer has to put up with. Hopefully heaven has the musty smell of comics. 

True. Dealing comics is a tough business. And guys like Bob and a few others still in the business have become a bit hardened to it. At the end of the day, many still do it not for the untold riches they reap but for the love of the medium that got them there in the first place. That and the fact that most would find it hard to work for someone else…

There are still a handful of real old school dealers which I won’t mention by name. They all have their quirks and weird personalities but have lifetimes of knowledge in the hobby. Love them or hate them, they all have experience in the trenches and wonderful stories. Much more important than just getting a deal on a book.

We have lost an another fountain of knowledge and experience in this hobby we all love so much.