• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest in peace Bob Beerbohm.
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2024 at 2:30 PM, Cat said:

I would prefer to donate to Mrs Bails if she were to ask for such a thing. 

Oh yes indeed, Katy B must pay for the sins of the father. How very Old Testament of you! Happy Easter 🐣 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:13 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Oh yes indeed, Katy B must pay for the sins of the father. How very Old Testament of you! Happy Easter 🐣 

It's my right to choose where my money goes. No one is owed it, especially not some random American I have no connection with. It's not my fault you have a third world healthcare system, so I don't why I as an Australian should be expected to cover for it 

And yes, happy Easter to you too. 

Edited by Cat

My very few interactions with Bob were always decent (I don't recall ever buying anything from him though).   I remember running into him at one of the big cons (either WW Philly or Bmore) and asking him about Green Lantern #76; specifically about the lack of uber HG copies (this was well before the first 9.6 came up).   I sent him a follow up PM and he came into the Bronze thread we had at the time and gave his input/reasoning.   

He towed the line between comic book genius/historian and Rozanski Hucksterism and cuckoo for cocoa puffs.   But mostly a mix of all 3.   He was a character, for sure.   

RIP Bob.  

I bought a lot of books from Bob back in the 70's. Then about 15 years ago, I got this Spirit 1 from him for a decent price. He was quite a character for sure but I always had positive interactions with him. RIP Bob

comic Spirit 1 camera.jpg

On 4/1/2024 at 3:15 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

oh, oh yes, I can just hear that dialogue in my head;

Katy: "Dad, your probably gonna die anyway, so after your done puking in this tray from the chemo, and after your bedbath and I change the dressing on your post-op wounds and after I cook something for us to eat can we we go through your sketchbooks and cut out some of the pages of your last remaining treasured memories (because we sold everything else of any real value to pay for your last illness and my brain surgery) and you help me price them so I can put them up on eBay and package them up and take them to the post office in my spare time?"

Bob: "sure honey, hand me a tissue please, and an exacto blade. I"ll get right on that."

Stay classy Comics General! You never disappoint!

The cutting edge that never goes dull.:bigsmile:

I would try to pony up something if it wasn't through something that requires a credit card or my personal info. If such a thing exists, please let me know. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Bob was told he had 6 months to a Year to live - he died 4-6 weeks later - so he didn't have time to get things in order.

Did Bob ever settle things with Jean? There seems to be some conflicting information that he did or didn't in the late 2010's.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:29 AM, thehumantorch said:

I only dealt with Bob once.  It was when he came here asking boardies to buy comics from his ebay store to help him out.  I never got the comic I purchased and I spent a frustrating year trying to convince him he owed me a book.  I believe his medication may have been part of the problem but at that point his emails to me were confused and irrational and frankly drove me crazy.  To his credit he did eventually send me something.

But he did love comics and his research and knowledge of the hobby was legendary and he will be missed.  

I sent Bob $100 and asked him to send me some Avengers issues. The box I got included Avengers 51-63, with the keys missing. Also in the box was a GA book worth more than the $100 I'd sent. Perhaps it was your lost book. I forget what it was, but Bob told me to just keep it. I meant to send him some money for it, but I never did.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:16 AM, Cat said:

The Reddit poster you're talking about wasn't aware the links didn't work, and seeing the thread is now locked there's no point in updating them anyway. The Reddit poster also knows he wasn't the only one who saw it, but is willing to act like he was, if that's the way we're going to play it. 

Just because someone is dead doesn't erase their bad deeds in my eyes. It's important we get a balanced view of them. You want to rave about him, I'm just here reminding people he was also a known scammer.

Why? Are you afraid he will scam them?  Your posts in this thread are in poor taste.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:38 AM, shadroch said:

Why? Are you afraid he will scam them?  Your posts in this thread are in poor taste.

I wasn't aware death washed away one's bad deeds. 

If you'll excuse me, I must go celebrate OJ Simpson, since that's how it apparently works now. 

Edit: But seriously Shad, among those he scammed, he scammed a grieving widow. For years, possibly never paid back. That's low. You want to defend that, be my guest. 

Edited by Cat

On 4/13/2024 at 11:33 AM, shadroch said:

I sent Bob $100 and asked him to send me some Avengers issues. The box I got included Avengers 51-63, with the keys missing. Also in the box was a GA book worth more than the $100 I'd sent. Perhaps it was your lost book. I forget what it was, but Bob told me to just keep it. I meant to send him some money for it, but I never did.

When I didn't get my book I went back to his ebay listings and noticed he had quite a few books listed 2 or 3 times.  I'd imagine the book I picked was long gone and I was buying from the duplicate listing.  Looking back I probably should have chalked it all up to a donation and forgot the book but I felt like 'gol durn, I paid for a book, where is it' and I got stubborn.  

On 4/13/2024 at 3:13 PM, Cat said:

I wasn't aware death washed away one's bad deeds. 

If you'll excuse me, I must go celebrate OJ Simpson, since that's how it apparently works now. 

Edit: But seriously Shad, among those he scammed, he scammed a grieving widow. For years, possibly never paid back. That's low. You want to defend that, be my guest. 

Again, we need clarification if he took care of Jean later in the 2010's - there are conflicting reports either he did or did not. Let's not judge the man till all the facts are clear. 

Edited by DennyWilson
typo

On 4/16/2024 at 4:14 AM, DennyWilson said:

Again, we need clarification if he took care of Jean later in the 2010's - there are conflicting reports either he did or did not. Let's not judge the man till all the facts are clear. 

Well the only way we're probably going to get an answer is to ask Mrs Bails herself, something I'm not comfortable doing. The last time I remember seeing her mention the topic was somewhere between 2016-2018 I'd estimate, and she still hadn't been paid back at all at that stage. While possible of course, logically I don't see why he would have paid her back afterwards. 

In hindsight imo we should have used our power as a group to apply pressure and try to get assistance for this poor woman. 

On 4/15/2024 at 5:33 PM, Cat said:

Well the only way we're probably going to get an answer is to ask Mrs Bails herself, something I'm not comfortable doing. The last time I remember seeing her mention the topic was somewhere between 2016-2018 I'd estimate, and she still hadn't been paid back at all at that stage. While possible of course, logically I don't see why he would have paid her back afterwards. 

In hindsight imo we should have used our power as a group to apply pressure and try to get assistance for this poor woman. 

Is there a link to what happened? 

It was before my time. 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:37 AM, KCOComics said:

Is there a link to what happened? 

It was before my time. 

From here on is about all that's survived. Note it's the general Probation Discussion Thread, so you'll have to ignore some cross-talk. 

On 3/31/2024 at 9:53 PM, Cat said:

It's not my fault you have a third world healthcare system

Excuse me?  Quite a perjorative. I’d explain why if you want the absolute best medical treatment in the world you’d come to the US but the nuances might be too much. 

On 4/12/2024 at 6:05 PM, DennyWilson said:

Bob was told he had 6 months to a Year to live - he died 4-6 weeks later - so he didn't have time to get things in order.

Did Bob ever settle things with Jean? There seems to be some conflicting information that he did or didn't in the late 2010's.

someone should contact her, she might be able to make a claim against the estate. I do not know how or if this was settled?