• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a tampered case, in the wild.
3 3

13 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2024 at 1:27 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If there's one in there, there's a chance that the others have been tampered with as well, but just haven't been identified as such.

At the very least, I'd be a little dubious of that 9.6 ASM300 that's also been reholdered with a custom label. The sig series books are probably okay. The real question, of course, is whether the seller is aware that they're got one (or more, if we're pessimistic) tainted books, or if they're the unwitting victim of the original scam and haven't been following the forums. 

@CGC Mike CGC's team is probably going to want to reach out to the seller on this one, since there's a known bad book in this lot.

On 4/1/2024 at 4:11 PM, Qalyar said:

The real question, of course, is whether the seller is aware that they're got one

The seller claims they've had these books in their collection for a while. If they bought it from someone else, they might have been one of the first people to buy a tampered book.

Which would really stink if the rest of that description is true.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, austinhg said:

The seller claims they've had these books in their collection for a while. If they bought it from someone else, they might have been one of the first people to buy a tampered book.

Which would really stink if the rest of that description is true.

I view eBay "stories" with a grain of salt the size of my car, but... agreed.

• Administrator
On 4/1/2024 at 4:11 PM, Qalyar said:

@CGC Mike CGC's team is probably going to want to reach out to the seller on this one, since there's a known bad book in this lot.

Thanks for the heads up.  I have notified the team regarding this.

@CGC Mike This was his response when I said something to the seller

New message from: deanjayes (91BLUE_STAR Star)

Thank you Frank! I am in communication with the VP of CGC Harshen Patel and have also let eBay know the situation and they are working on removing the listing without charging me any penalty.

Thank you,

Dean

• Administrator

I reached out to the team when this was posted.  I just asked Harshen if this book was going to be sent to us for review, and he said yes.

Have my doubts.    

FYI I contacted the seller last week, before making this thread, and he expressed ignorance and told me he'd take down the auction, contact CGC, and relist without that book.  Seemed like an honest mistake, and I wished him well.  When I went back on Monday and saw that it was still going, that's when I made this thread.  Now, 4 hours left in the auction, it's still up and unchanged.  If he actually is going to send it in, what's the plan here?

On 4/3/2024 at 2:32 PM, Poekaymon said:

Have my doubts.    

FYI I contacted the seller last week, before making this thread, and he expressed ignorance and told me he'd take down the auction, contact CGC, and relist without that book.  Seemed like an honest mistake, and I wished him well.  When I went back on Monday and saw that it was still going, that's when I made this thread.  Now, 4 hours left in the auction, it's still up and unchanged.  If he actually is going to send it in, what's the plan here?

Just to give the benefit of the doubt, the seller did say that he is working on having it removed without penalty. When you run an Ebay auction like this and cancel before it ends I believe you get dinged with the selling fees anyway. 

If giving the benefit of the doubt is not your thing, it takes 15 mins or less to contact an ebay rep online and explain the issue. Even if Ebay management had to get involved, he could have done so and had the listing removed by now. 

On 4/3/2024 at 6:14 PM, grendel013 said:

Less than an hour left on the auction and it's at $10k.

It says "This listing was ended by the seller on Wed, Apr 3 at 3:36 PM because the item was sold."