• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Piskor Has Passed
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, wombat said:

You can't stop people from sharing their experiences. And you certainly can't dictate how they are supposed to feel about their experiences. 

No you can't, but you also shouldn't excuse them from the consequences of doing so. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:05 AM, wombat said:

I'm sure this will sound heartless, but this is on him. No one made him commit suicide. That was his choice. Why? Because he didn't want to have to defend himself? It was going to be too much work? So he took the quick and easy way out of the situation knowing all the grief it would cause his loved ones. 

I'll be sure to let the friends and mother of that Trans girl in Oklahoma that killed herself after being mercilessly bullied  and raped by her father for years know that it was on her. I'll be sure to tell them how she took the easy way out.

Jesus the view must be great on that high horse of yours. 

On 4/2/2024 at 2:05 PM, BrashL said:

I'll be sure to let the friends and mother of that Trans girl in Oklahoma that killed herself after being mercilessly bullied  and raped by her father for years know that it was on her. I'll be sure to tell them how she took the easy way out.

I didn't realize you are unhinged. Carry on. 

On 4/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, Axe Elf said:

If he had asked her to buy a bunny suit and sit on his face she might be a victim of sexual assault, but from what I can see, her "victimization" consisted of being called a "naughty girl" after describing a petty crime, and being offered a place to crash (in a separate bedroom, with it's own drawing table) if she was ever in town.  If she was located in a state with stricter age of consent laws, it might be considered grooming--but they both lived in PA, so it's not that, either.

I don't know the artist and I certainly don't vouch for his character, but from the information available, it seems to me that the least repugnant behavior of anyone involved was the artist's.

That would not have been sexual assault, that has a very clear definition, but I see this sort of thing all the time; People hand wave away a victims experience as being 'not that bad' in comparison to other heinous possibilities (we don't have full context, and might never have it, all we know is it was enough for her personally to come forward). People were not distancing from him because he sexual assaulted someone, but rather that his behaviour was giving off grooming vibes. Also, regardless of if what he was doing was TECHNICALLY legal in his state, that was still an older man acting inappropriately with a kid (let's not pretend being 17 old is adult territory).

You also are glossing over the other sexual misconduct issues he had; including another woman that said he asked for a in exchange for his agent’s phone number (which to me is a big issue, and mirrors what Warren Ellis was doing years ago. This sort of 'joke' offer is all too common)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That would not have been sexual assault, that has a very clear definition

And the definition varies by jurisdiction, but the point being that from the information available, he didn't say or do anything sexual at all.  Yet he was shamed like a sexual predator or something.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, Sauce Dog said:

You also are glossing over the other sexual misconduct issues he had; including another woman that said he asked for a in exchange for his agent’s phone number

"Issue," anyway, but with that other gal, who knows...  It could have been like, "Give me your agent's number!"  "Blow me!" or something.  It could have been more like asking for a date between two adults.  We don't have much information on that situation, and it doesn't seem to be that situation that caused the Great Consternation in the first place, so you'll excuse me if I don't enter it into evidence at this time.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:05 PM, BrashL said:

Not all situations are created equal, we don't have to have an opinion on a matter that covers ALL instances of that topic. We are talking about Piskor here, that is the context, so don't going tossing in some random whataboutism regarding another person. Nobody is saying suicide is a good thing, or a good outcome.

A 16 year old that has been assaulted and harassed for years, for something out of their control, and who has not close to even maturing mentally is not equal to a well-off famous 40ish year old man who JUST started to feel consequences from his own actions (justified or not). Yikes. 

On 4/2/2024 at 2:21 PM, Turnando said:

Ed Piskor is one of my favorite creators.  For me, it is him and Jesse Jacobs at the top.  A great artist and a great writer.  That hardly ever happens. Comics are cool but they are 99% garbage and the 1% is done by people like Ed.

I was shocked and saddened to hear this news.  I wouldn't judge anyone based on the information that I've seen so far.  

20240402_120805.jpg

20240402_120926.jpg

Those collected editions of Hiphop are one of my top purchases of the last decade (oddly Grand Design was one of my least favourite, but still nice to look at)

On 4/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, 1Cool said:

My only issue is the cancelling of his career with just allegations of being a creep.  It sounds like from the couple news stories I read that the "cult of cancel" got ahold of the story and online trolled him and probably pushed his employers to cancel his means of making a living which is taking it too far in my opinion.  Just because people can hide behind their computer screens and create a hive mind attack on the guy they feel they can try to take everything and still sleep at night.  To make it worse the few screen shots of the texts were not that creepy in the sense of him trying to groom a person who he wanted to be underaged.  Was the statement that a blow job was necessary to get a number a joke?  We will never know since the online warriors tried and convicted the guy before he even had a chance to defend himself.  Sad the guy died falling on the sword but it sounds to me like an instance when cancel culture went too far.  

But what will really come of it?  The story will be forgotten in a couple days and things will continue in the direction it's been going.  Can't stop progress and online warriors.

Well said.  I didn't know the name well but I'd seen Cartoonist Kayfabe and always found it enjoyable.  It is amazing how quickly so-called comic book fans always pile on to any perceived wrong-doing - almost like they've never really read any of the comics they claim to love.  But with the internet mob, you're immediately guilty and the online warriors will do whatever it takes, with no threat of repercussion, to bury a person.  Really sad stuff.

Edited by roach04

On 4/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, Axe Elf said:

it seems to me that the least repugnant behavior of anyone involved was the artist's.

And the most repugnant? Might I nominate the Internet Bully Hate Brigade and their insistence on making something their business, that isn't, under the guise of "free speech"? Solution ? We all do it from time to time. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/2/2024 at 11:03 AM, BrashL said:

No you can't, but you also shouldn't excuse them from the consequences of doing so. 

So if the young woman commits suicide because she is being blamed by people like you for Ed's suicide, you take on that responsibility?