• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Piskor Has Passed
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2024 at 7:59 PM, october said:

Did you read up on what he did? He was somewhat creepy and suggestive to a 17 year old. He could have slept with her and it wouldn't be a crime in 39 out of 50 states. 

As a man roughly his age, his actions were indefensible and gross. That said, the internet does what the internet does best and went totally overboard. At least the Athenians had the decency to take a vote before ostracizing someone. Other cultures consider shunning among their most serious punishments. We immediately hand it out like candy at the behest of anonymous internet mobs. That should give us pause...

Why TF did she choose to leak them when she turned 21? Hmmm. What was her motive?

On 4/1/2024 at 8:17 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Don't do that - don't be that guy who starts to throw the victims under a bus with absolute zero reasoning even if it is in the 'just asking questions, bro' framing (if you know any abuse victims IRL you know how common it is to NOT report at the time. I guess all the women I know who were raped had a 'motive' for waiting years before reporting).

There were MULTIPLE women who accused him of being a creep, including using his position in the industry to try to get sexual favours from them.

I’m not trying to victim blame anyone, but at a certain age, you should know better. If you’re underage and or engage with a creep, call them out for it. Don’t wait until a tragedy like this happens.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:43 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

A family member was sexually assaulted when she was 16, by a man at her church. She told her priest and he said she was making it up to get attention. So she told no one else.

At 23 she finally went to the police. The guy actually confessed to doing it and was sentenced to 5 years in prison, SUSPENDED, if he went to treatment. 

Stuff like that, my friend, is why women don't come forward sooner. 

Happens all the time.

I understand it when you put it that way. I’m clearly ignorant when it comes to this situation. It’s messed up all around and with one mistake, you’re genuinely screwed.

There’s no win/win for either party I feel. Yeah, he was a creep, but what did you gain from him taking his own life?

On 4/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, Terry JSA said:

There’s no win/win for either party I feel. Yeah, he was a creep, but what did you gain from him taking his own life?

I guess he felt his career was over and his whole identity and source of income was wrapped up in that career. So nothing to live for? 

There were about 50,000 suicides in the US last year and probably 50,000 different reasons. 

On 4/1/2024 at 9:14 PM, delekkerste said:

Even his original accuser walked back some of her statements after the initial report and said that people were embellishing what she said with added, salacious details that she says she never said. (shrug) 

The woman who accused him of what you quoted above deleted her tweet prior to today and turned out to be a spurned former lover who Piskor says piled on to the original story to hurt him. I think the reality is that we don't know the real truth here - people just accepted the accusation at face value without examining or questioning any of it and now it appears that it may not even be true (read Piskor's suicide note for more details on this). 

The court of public opinion convicted him of being a groomer and sexual predator which caused almost everyone to cut business and personal ties with him, driving him to suicide. Even if we took the accusations at face value, he didn't deserve to die or lose his ability to make a living over that. And now we've learned both today and over the last week that maybe the accusations were taken out of context and embellished and that some of it may not have even been true at all. :sorry: 

Her deleting the post doesn't tell us anything either way, as when news broke that he killed himself there were already a legion of people blaming the women for all this (so her distancing from socials is exactly what Piskor should have done, it's vicious). We also can't just take Piskor at his word, even in a suicide note, as of course he believed otherwise - like you said, we don't know the real truth and may not know (though given how absolutely common place these sort of abuses are I have no reason to suspect them of being false, maybe lacking context, but not outright false).

Also I find it very troublesome he went out of his way to name all his accusers in his letter,  explicitly blaming them. Felt more like he did that out of spite rather than any real sense of remorse or guilt (This just might be me though biased, because it sucks having the reference of having read SEVERAL suicide notes by people over my life, several of which who did live and did say they only said things meant to hurt others as a final act out the door)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/1/2024 at 10:37 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This just might be me though biased, because it sucks having the reference of having read SEVERAL suicide notes by people over my life, several of which who did live and did say they only said things meant to hurt others as a final act out the door)

Oh- 

Definitely sorry to hear that. Something someone shouldn’t have to experience.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:37 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Her deleting the post doesn't tell us anything either way, as when news broke that he killed himself there were already a legion of people blaming the women for all this (so her distancing from socials is exactly what Piskor should have done, it's vicious). We also can't just take Piskor at his word, even in a suicide note, as of course he believed otherwise - like you said, we don't know the real truth and may not know (though given how absolutely common place these sort of abuses are I have no reason to suspect them of being false, maybe lacking context, but not outright false).

Also I find it very troublesome he went out of his way to name all his accusers in his letter,  explicitly blaming them. Felt more like he did that out of spite rather than any real sense of remorse or guilt (This just might be me though biased, because it sucks having the reference of having read SEVERAL suicide notes by people over my life, several of which who did live and did say they only said things meant to hurt others as a final act out the door)

Suicide in cases like this is a tragedy, not only for the loss of life and the devastation it brings to friends and family, but also because it ensures justice is forever denied -- regardless of which way Justice's scales should have ended up tilting.

On 4/1/2024 at 6:43 PM, MatterEaterLad said:
On 4/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’m not trying to victim blame anyone, but at a certain age, you should know better. If you’re underage and or engage with a creep, call them out for it. Don’t wait until a tragedy like this happens.

A family member was sexually assaulted when she was 16, by a man at her church. She told her priest and he said she was making it up to get attention. So she told no one else.

At 23 she finally went to the police. The guy actually confessed to doing it and was sentenced to 5 years in prison, SUSPENDED, if he went to treatment. 

Stuff like that, my friend, is why women don't come forward sooner. 

Happens all the time.

Agreed.  Some people are predators looking for someone younger and less powerful that they can take advantage of.  And who won't be believed if they get the courage to reveal it.  

I don't know much about Ed Piskor.  Is he someone unfairly persecuted by people on the internet or is a creep?  We'll probably never know for sure but it's a shame it came to this.

If Ed only send some suggestive messages to 17 year old girl that is not grooming it is sexual misconduct. It is wrong but nothing criminal. His career was over
because already Pittsburgh Cultural Trust had postponed  his exhibit indefinitely. That is the reality of freelance people if you want some company to buy/invest in your work this kinda controversy kills your career.

It is sad that Ed did not speak to someone because most people that are in to comics, fans of Cartoonist Kayfabe or live in Pittsburgh have not even hear about those allegations. Most people don't even know who is Ed Piskor. He probably thought because of the social media that the whole world was against him.