• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Piskor Has Passed
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 7:52 PM, 1Cool said:

My only issue is the cancelling of his career with just allegations of being a creep.  It sounds like from the couple news stories I read that the "cult of cancel" got ahold of the story and online trolled him and probably pushed his employers to cancel his means of making a living which is taking it too far in my opinion.  Just because people can hide behind their computer screens and create a hive mind attack on the guy they feel they can try to take everything and still sleep at night.  To make it worse the few screen shots of the texts were not that creepy in the sense of him trying to groom a person who he wanted to be underaged.  Was the statement that a blow job necessary to get a number a joke?  We will never know since the online warriors tried and convicted the guy before he even had a chance to defend himself.  Sad the guy died jumping on the sword but it sounds to me like an instance when cancel culture went too far.  

But what will really come of it?  The story will be forgotten in a couple days and things will continue in the direction it's been going.  Can't stop progress and online warriors.

Yep.

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, BrashL said:

So these people ruined his life and drove him to suicide 

Here's a different view: A 41 year old man committed suicide. He's responsible for his own actions. No "mob" drove him to it. He decided to be his own judge, jury, and executioner. He could have chosen differently as many have. If he truly believed he was innocent of any wrongdoing, he could have done what many innocent adults do - defend the charge. The only one who precluded him vindication in a court of law or public opinion was himself. He could have continued to defend that his acts were not, as people are saying here, "creepy" or illegal. Blaming the victim or those outraged by the alleged behavior ignores that this is not a case of murder no matter what the SUICIDE note said.

The note shows the guy had the ability to defend himself, but he CHOSE not to do so in real life. Instead, he chose the most passive aggressive, senselessly grandstanding, and illogical course of action possible in an effort to tarnish the alleged victim. As a result, he ensured that he took the "L" forever. His act is on him, not the alleged victim or those who chose to support her. (And, no, this is the first post I've made on this topic so I got no dog in this race). 

I am also seeing some misinformation here. The age of consent in many states is 18: AZ, CA, DE, FL, ID, KE, ND, OR, TN, UT, VA, WI. Grooming laws come into play when someone attempts to induce a minor to enter a state where the age of consent is under 18. The relevant law here would be where the minor was at the time of the alleged grooming attempt.

I do not know the facts here and who lived where when. Because he chose to suicide he will never flesh out his defense, if any. This situation is an argument for better mental health support, family support, friends, and, most importantly an orientation towards hope in adversity and courage. Suicide is a tragedy, but it is a tragedy arising from a choice that hopefully could have been different. Suicide is also a crime in many states, and the victims include the decedent's family and friends who often react to suicide with anger towards the victim. Its a complex environment where all of our opinions may have only limited application. But, hey, this is a message board and that's what we do.

Edited by sfcityduck

I'm truly out of the loop, this whole thread I thought we were talking about American Splendor guy. Either way it's definitely a series of unfortunate events. I've had relatives who were raped, and friends who did serious prison time for perjured accusations of rape. I know another with a Noll Prossed charge hanging over his head, even after the gal tried to recant her testimony, so just because some little flower cries rape, it isn't always the truth. In the last instance the Detectives steered the girl into an accusation while she was still on Morphine, barely conscious, and suffering from septic shock. The system will often unfairly side with a female, so jumping the gun is not kosher. Just because someone is a girl, does not mean she can't lie. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/2/2024 at 9:25 AM, sfcityduck said:

Suicide is also a crime in many states ....

@sfcityduck, I have no doubt that you are correct regarding suicide being a crime in many states. However, I just have to ask. What is the point of having a law against suicide? Are you going to arrest a person who is already deceased? As I have said many times, I just don't get it. (shrug)

On 4/2/2024 at 7:15 AM, Prince Namor said:

That's not what happened here.

At any point, she could've just blocked him on social media. Instead, she continued that friendship.

She was never sexually assaulted. If those couple of texts are the WORST that happened... 

I didn't say it did. I was sharing an example why some women don't speak out.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I didn't say it did. I was sharing an example why some women don't speak out.

Likewise it ignores the fact that victims can still regard their abusers as 'friends' & loved ones, there are lots of rationalizing that goes on and might take years for a person to even realize they were in fact victimized in some way or in a situation they feel they can finally share their story safely (often from hearing other people tell their stories and coming forward). It is sad, but I can only recall a single person I know who came forward immediately to friends/family (not police, as it wasn't technically illegal) after similar advances from a 'superior' at work. 

Victim statements/actions, or anything regarding manipulation/abuse after the fact, are very complicated and not so cut and dry with solutions ("just block them online!")

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/2/2024 at 6:15 AM, Prince Namor said:

At any point, she could've just blocked him on social media. Instead, she continued that friendship.

She was never sexually assaulted. If those couple of texts are the WORST that happened... 

As I understand it, the allegation is grooming. And grooming is not sexual assault. The grooming I believe we are discussing here is when an older perpetrator takes advantage of a young person, typically ages 13-17, to induce them to have some sort of sexual relations in a state where such relationships are legal. Put differently, if a young woman can consent in State A at age 17, but lives in State B where she can't, an older person's successful attempt to induce that young woman to travel to State A can be a crime arising from what is known as "grooming."

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 8:02 AM, Math Teacher said:

@sfcityduck, I have no doubt that you are correct regarding suicide being a crime in many states. However, I just have to ask. What is the point of having a law against suicide? Are you going to arrest a person who is already deceased? As I have said many times, I just don't get it. (shrug)

The attempt to commit a crime is also a crime. And making something illegal can deter it. Many people who attempt suicide don't necessarily want to succeed. That's why the methods they have available to them and choose can be the difference between death or a long life. That's one justification, for example, for waiting period to buy certain products. A person who has attempted suicide, is also subject to court ordered diversion into treatment programs when it is a crime.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 12:02 AM, BrashL said:

Hey here’s an idea, why don't we stop using the internet to “call people out”. What kind of world is this if every time anyone makes a mistake it’s fair game for it be blasted to the entire world. It’s just a disgusting lynch mob at the end of the day. 

No one was trying to protect anyone from him and they weren’t trying to confront him. The goal of putting that all out in public was to ruin him and I’m sure they were very pleased with the results right up until especially when he took his own life. 

This whole thing is sickening and sad. If someone did something you think is wrong but isn’t criminal, don’t use social media to convict them in the court of public opinion. Being a creep isn’t a crime, neither is being an individual_without_enough_empathy or weirdo or whatever. No one deserves to have their entire livelihood and identity dismantled for being guilty of any of those things. 

Social media really is the worst thing to happen to society. 

FTFY

On 4/2/2024 at 7:36 AM, jimjum12 said:

.The system will often unfairly side with a female, so jumping the gun is not kosher. Just because someone is a girl, does not mean she can't lie.

Of course, I agree with your second statement. But, I don't know anyone who truly understands the history of our criminal justice system as it relates to rape and the relevant statistics who would agree with the first. The system, meaning police, prosecutors, and courts, has traditionally and to large extent still do a disservice to victims. Which does not make every accusation true. For all crimes, there are improper accusations and defense verdicts. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/1/2024 at 10:02 PM, BrashL said:

Hey here’s an idea, why don't we stop using the internet to “call people out”. What kind of world is this if every time anyone makes a mistake it’s fair game for it be blasted to the entire world. It’s just a disgusting lynch mob at the end of the day. 

No one was trying to protect anyone from him and they weren’t trying to confront him. The goal of putting that all out in public was to ruin him and I’m sure they were very pleased with the results right up until he took his own life. 

This whole thing is sickening and sad. If someone did something you think is wrong but isn’t criminal, don’t use social media to convict them in the court of public opinion. Being a creep isn’t a crime, neither is being an individual_without_enough_empathy or weirdo or whatever. No one deserves to have their entire livelihood and identity dismantled for being guilty of any of those things. 

Social media really is the worst thing to happen to society. 

You should read "So You've been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson.  Pretty insightful book about this exact subject. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:17 AM, sfcityduck said:

The attempt to commit a crime is also a crime. And making something illegal can deter it. Many people who attempt suicide don't necessarily want to succeed. That's why the methods they have available to them and choose can be the difference between death or a long life. That's one justification, for example, for waiting period to buy certain products. A person who has attempted suicide, is also subject to court ordered diversion into treatment programs when it is a crime.

It varies by country drastically as well, I know here in Canada when they say Suicide is illegal that includes criminalizing anyone who encourages someone else to commit suicide, or a person who helps another person to commit suicide (outside of MAID, obviously).

On 4/2/2024 at 11:22 AM, sfcityduck said:

Of course, I agree with your second statement. But, I don't know anyone who truly understands the history of our criminal justice system as it relates to rape and the relevant statistics who would agree with the first. The system, meaning police, prosecutors, and courts, has traditionally and to large extent still do a disservice to victims. Which does make every accusation true. For all crimes, there are improper accusations and defense verdicts. 

That still leaves, to me, an unfair burden on a sex biased event. That kind of simplifies it. In a society purported to exist on tenants of equality, that's just not OK. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/2/2024 at 6:09 AM, Prince Namor said:

Yeah... I think it's important to remember... he didn't actually break any laws or do anything illegal. Creepy, yeah. Worth a dad's anger? Oh yeah. But nothing illegal. 

I simply asked on another forum, if he had been convicted of anything and immediately got blasted for it. Everybody's ready to be a victim in this society. This was before he'd even made a statement on it. He was convicted by the Internet mob, before he even had a response.

A 17-year-old female in modern society isn't the same as a 17-year-old female from 20-30-40 years ago. Today's kids grow up with SO much more information at an early age. In America, 75% of kids get a cell phone by the age of 12.

Freakin' TWELVE.

The things they can see, before they even reach any sort of maturity is... pretty frightening.

If I was her father, I would have, at the very least had words with Piskor over this and probably made some threats. But I would've pulled her aside as well and asked, "Why were you still talking to him? A guy TWICE your age? You should've BLOCKED him immediately. You have to know better."

That's not blaming her. That's teaching her to be smarter. 

Nobody wants to accept responsibility for anything... they just want to be the victim and have people sympathize over some failed romance BS or WORDS. Well... backfired pretty badly. I hope the whole world learns a lesson but... I doubt it. 

Last time I saw Ed was at Baltimore Comic Con last year. He was set up with Jim Rugg. I bought that Public Enemy Figure Box Set from him and we talked about Hip Hop Family Tree and topics for the Internet show. Between them two and Don Simpson right across the way from them, that was my favorite part of the show. This whole thing really sucks. 

I gotta say I find this post offensive.

First, a 17 year-old young woman is below the age of consent in many states. The trend in state laws has been to increase the age of consent. A lot folks find states that have age of consent laws that allow older males up to certain ages to have sexual relations with women as young as 13 as super creepy. 

A 17 year old is still a 17 year old. 20-30-40 years ago fewer, if any, states would have extended age of consent to 17 year olds. Our society is getting smarter not dumber on this issue (well not everyone obviously). Most folks realize that it helps to have community help to raise a child, especially in deterring older men from taking advantage of teen women.The entire point of age of consent laws is that young women are just that: Young. They are inexperienced. They are subject to influence. They are irrational. That's why we try to protect them. We don't let them vote, we don't let them drink, why do you want to let older men pursue them for sex?

The person here who did not accept personal responsibility to defend himself was 41 year old Ed.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:02 AM, Math Teacher said:

Historically, the American laws criminalizing suicide (originally a felony in most jurisdictions) follow from British law, where the intent was less about trying to arrest the deceased, and more about how their estate was handled afterward. In the US, in fact, most jurisdictions have decriminalized suicide, although it's arguably still a "common law crime" with implications for certain estate issues and insurance payouts. Likewise, most US jurisdictions no longer try to arrest people for attempted suicide, recognizing that it's a mental health issue, not a criminal justice problem (except at least Maryland, for... reasons, I guess).

On 4/2/2024 at 10:35 AM, BrashL said:

This is an extraordinarily bad take. Substitute Ed  for a 32 year old Trans person who was being relentlessly mocked and abused by his community. Substitute a 25 year old rape victim who is drug through the mud for accusing someone of power. To say that their suicides exist in a bubble and they just decided to be suicidal one day is gross. 

Your eager willingness to view actual victims and (potential) wrongdoers as equivalent is disturbing.