• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hear me out - Want to put my "toy money" into a silver age Blue-chip...
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi All

Long story short - been collecting comics for a few years, and toys for 2+ decades.

Recently my mom passed away. My dad had already passed so it was my duty to clean out her house. She was a wonderful mom but the house was like a hoarder situation - Just drawers and cabinets all full of "stuff" - and now after going through that I seem to find myself in a state of repulsion over "stuff" and Im feeling really suffocated by these toys. (That's what I like about my smallish comic collection - fits in one short box)

Anyways - I like to keep my "collection" funds separate from my other stuff - I already have different accts for savings, retirement all that stuff - The "hobby" stays in "hobby" - So I know if I just sell a bunch of stuff (maybe 10K worth) and hold onto the money in an acct Ill just spend it on other things slowly over time. So I figured it would be cool to just put the money into a comic, since i already collect comics, and it's a huge space saver.

So - Where would you put 10k?  I ALWAYS wanted a XMEN 1 or Spiderman 1 but with today's prices you can BARELY get into those for 10K.  
Also I guess it could be like Hulk 181, ASM 129 - a few "big books" I have always wanted - I just dont know!

This isnt a "comics arent an investment" thing - just trying ot kind of refocus too much stuff into much less.....

I think if I was a big X-guy and someone who requires high grade stuff; I’d find a nice Giant Size X-Men 1. 
Personally, I’d look really hard for the right low grade ASM1 if I was in your situation, particularly if investment isn’t a prime concern. 

On 4/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, piper said:

I just scanned GPA.  I would think you could get mid grade copies of ASM1, TOS 39, or JIM 83 for around 10k.

second that

If you like Neal Adams artwork, I would say go Bronze Age and nab 9.4 WP copies of Batman 227, 232, 234 and 251, plus Tec 395, 400, 405, and 411 instead. They have held their value well and some are above 2021/22 peak prices now. 

On 4/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, TylerHam said:

Long story short - been collecting comics for a few years, and toys for 2+ decades.

So I know if I just sell a bunch of stuff (maybe 10K worth)......

So tell us about the toys you're selling and the ones you aren't. 

???

Well honestly its not a spectacular collection or anything - A lot of the money is from a few nice carded STAR WARS figures I have - THe climate where I live (High Desert) isnt conducive to keeping them properly displayed (Dry and with large temperature shifts) so instead of waiting for the bubbles to pop off the card backs, selling them seems to be the smarter move  - Plus i have a lot of toys I had teh "will display one day" plan with for like years now so that can all go........