• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pence print run of Captain Marvel Aventures
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, first post.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the pence print run of Captain Marvel was in the UK? I know it was popular enough to spawn Marvelman and then Miracleman, I'm thinking about submitting a recently acquired pence copy of Captain Marvel that has a cover colored differently then the American version to cgc,  its in rough shape and I don't know if I should hold off for a better copy because I have no idea what the rarity is, if anyone could lay some comic book wisdom on me it would be appreciated, thanks

On 4/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, goldust40 said:

Not sure, but maybe @Get Marwood & I might be able to help. He specializes in GA pence books wittering on about rubbish

I don't know this one, but there's a great article based on the book Poisoned Chalice here...

https://www.comicsbeat.com/poisoned-chalice-part-2-marvelman-rises/

...which goes into some detail. I haven't read it for a while - maybe there's something in there about prints runs. If not, the author is a good starting point for @AltonKroobe to begin his search (good luck Alton. Report back if you find out).

On 4/6/2024 at 1:34 PM, AltonKroobe said:

Hello everybody, first post.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the pence print run of Captain Marvel was in the UK? I know it was popular enough to spawn Marvelman and then Miracleman, I'm thinking about submitting a recently acquired pence copy of Captain Marvel that has a cover colored differently then the American version to cgc,  its in rough shape and I don't know if I should hold off for a better copy because I have no idea what the rarity is, if anyone could lay some comic book wisdom on me it would be appreciated, thanks

Pray tell, what issue is it? :x

I assume it's the Captain Marvel Adventures run as opposed to Captain Marvel Jr? Both runs ended at #24, if I'm not mistaken (if that's what you were inquiring?) ~

Thanks, @Yorick :3

Ah, the print run? No clue ~ Well given that the early MM/YM run - suggestively, mind you, according to @EwanUK - was around 5,000 per issue ~ You don't see a lot of the CMA/CMJ comics around in relation to their American counterparts ~

Edited by Bart Allen

Posted (edited)

@Bart Allen it's vol 1 issue 9, it's the reprint of Captain Marvel Adventures issue 81, I'm a huge Mister Atom fan and the way the cover is colored it looks like a fireworks wrapper, I love it.

Thank for all the great links @Get Marwood & I

Thanks to everyone for the help

Edited by AltonKroobe