• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Bulge Causes Headaches

17 posts in this topic

"Superman" Bulge Causes Headaches foreheadslap.gif

bulge.jpg

"There's always great cinematic urban legends that swirl around in regards to actor vanities and more especially, male endowments. Last year saw Colin Farrell get in a hub-bub over his cut scene from "A Home at the End of the World", this year came issues of Ioan Gruffudd's package in "Fantastic Four", and now next year's "Superman Returns" has gotten its own trash tale.

UK tabloid The Sun reports that the size of 26-year-old Brandon Routh's bulge in the superhero's skintight costume could be distracting enough that the studio has ordered the makers to cover it up with digital effects. Their source says "It's a major issue for the studio. Brandon is extremely well endowed and they don't want it up on the big screen. We may be forced to erase his package with digital effects".

Speaking with the costume designers earlier this year, they told us that whilst the bulge indeed was the most complicated issue in terms of the costuming, they worked out a practical solution involving a codpiece and special padding which ultimately negates the issue. Thus any stories of costly digital manipulation are as fake as those CG-enhanced Kevin Costner hair in "Waterworld" urban legends."

Source: www.comics2film.com

what's more likely...a source from a major motion picture studio would use the term "extremely well endowed" or this quote is made up from whole cloth by the hacks at the tabloid?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This was reported three months ago in Newsweek... surprising that The Sun would be quite this slow on the uptake...

"There was more discussion about Superman's 'package' than anything else on the suit," costume designer Louise Mingenbach says in the Sept. 12 issue of Newsweek, currently on newsstands. "Was it too big? Was it not big enough? Was it too pointy? Too round?"

Undeterred, Warner Bros. decided to dedicate their efforts to getting Superman's anatomy just right.

"It was somebody's job for about a month just working on codpiece shapes," adds Mingenbach. "It was crazy."

Crazy is the word for the antics on set, as described by Parker Posey, who plays Lex Luthor's girlfriend Kitty Koslowski.

"Poor Brandon," she says, referring to Brandon Routh, who plays the iconic superhero. "He's got everyone touching him all the time. He's lying on his stomach and he's got five people coming up and pulling his underwear down, sticking their hands up the butt of his suit."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9189573/site/newsweek/page/2/

As a silly follow-up... I went back to work for a half-day today after spending a couple days out sick...

I had no less than six people at work ask me about this "news" story...

Not one asked me about it in September... but this week it's a "big" deal... foreheadslap.gif

People are so bored, its a freaking [embarrassing lack of self control] get over it. Some are big some are small, same with breasts. You don't see the hollywood people downsizing the size of women's breasts for movies. If I was the actor, I would be honored in a sense, but also dissapointed.

People are so bored, its a freaking [embarrassing lack of self control] get over it. Some are big some are small, same with breasts. You don't see the hollywood people downsizing the size of women's breasts for movies. If I was the actor, I would be honored in a sense, but also dissapointed.

they will upsize boobs though. and i believe some hack trimmed off some junk from J-Lo's trunk in a poster, although my memory might be flawed a bit