• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
2 2

287 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2024 at 12:39 AM, cstojano said:

Ha, I suppose.  

Conan experts, any thoughts on the Brunner dps hitting 46k?

Frank Brunner The Savage Sword of Conan #30 Double Splash Page 2-3 Original Art (Marvel, 1978)....

I'm a huge Frazetta/BWS Conan fan, though no expert on Conan OA prices. From an artistic standpoint, I think this is a weak composition with muddled execution. Many of Frazetta's and BWS's amazing Conan images use a triangular/pyramidal composition, with Conan's face at the apex, and Conan in an epic, upright, and dominating pose. The enemies, alive, wounded, or dead, become part of an artful mass, usually seen with their backs to the viewer, so that we rarely see their faces, and don't confuse the silhouette of Conan. This composition does the opposite - Conan is squatting, off to the side, and assumes little more significance than several of his enemies. The overall composition is an inverted 'V' with a wide, landscape composition - the exact opposite approach taken by FF/BWS. The wild-eyed horse head at the bottom right and the funky elephant in the far bg are particular eye catchers (i.e., distractions), and there's not much in the way of artfully spotted lights and darks to guide and focus the eye. It feels cluttered and chaotic to me.

Brunner is a fine artist for stuff that's in his wheelhouse, which makes this all the more disappointing to my eye.

On 6/23/2024 at 6:52 AM, cstojano said:

I am seriously conflicted on this upcoming page, not erotic but violent as all get out. But it begs the question whether a page can be too A+ and roll over into the F category ;) I may need a portfolio yet!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/eddie-campbell-from-hell-chapter-10-story-page-4-original-art-mad-love-publishing-1991-/p/7381-12006.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It's a good point.  Some of the recent Sandman pages from the diner episode were pretty squirm-inducing, which of course is what made the story so powerful and memorable, but at the same time there's a little voice in your head asking if you really want to own that.*

*In my case, the answer was "yes", but I don't think I'd show the pages to just anybody.

On 6/23/2024 at 11:23 AM, Bronty said:

Always one of my favorite lines.   Both true and absurd :eek:

I stayed at the Ritz in Dubai once (placed there at the direction of my employer). For all the cost and insanity (2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 living rooms, kitchen, personal valet etc), I still only needed one bed and one pillow to sleep. I don't envy the wealthy and their need to have more or show people they have more... once you start down that path, I don't know if you ever leave it.

On 6/23/2024 at 11:36 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I stayed at the Ritz in Dubai once (placed there at the direction of my employer). For all the cost and insanity (2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 living rooms, kitchen, personal valet etc), I still only needed one bed and one pillow to sleep. I don't envy the wealthy and their need to have more or show people they have more... once you start down that path, I don't know if you ever leave it.

Spoken like a dude.    I'm with you; all I need is a pillow and a bed as well. 

Now let's ask our wives.   :insane:

On 6/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, delekkerste said:

Cool page, but, as I was live commenting during the auction with some friends - "Oh come on". :facepalm: 

yeah that's outside of Brunner's normal price structure- he only did this one issue of SSOC I believe, but that's not a driver, and there's nothing noteworthy about this issue. I don't think Brunner's style is as well suited for Conan. this just seems like 2 guys bidding until one of them blinked. Most days (or any CC auction) it's half this price (or less)

On 6/23/2024 at 7:56 AM, delekkerste said:

I have it on good authority that "the more you bid, the more it's worth"! :idea: 

And yet we heart time again from people who paid a "crazy amount" for something in 1989 (250) that's now worth 250k. Seems like you are either a genius or sprendthrift in this game. 

Any thoughts on BC50? I was a little surprised at $840k (and Chamber of Chills 23 at $180k) - that seemed low, but I can't really say what I expected. 

On 6/23/2024 at 1:44 AM, romitaman said:

hey thanks bunches!

I personally feel this art is as historic as any Ditko Spider-Man COVER with it being the actual drawn art created for the 6 foot poster as well as numerous cards toys and marvel memorabilia throughout the years.:) 

Definitely more desirable than at least some Ditko covers (looking at you, ASM 30). 

I've long considered color guides to be desirable, and I've apparently missed hearing that other people have come around to agree with me.  Saw the guides for "Judgment Day" which is one of the more culturally significant progressive EC stories from the 50s, thinking it could be bought for the several hundred of so I remember a similar story sold for some years back, figuring inflation might put it just over a grand.  Then, realizing I missed bidding on it I looked to see what it went for and it was 10K 

On 6/22/2024 at 9:28 PM, 1classics said:

I think a lot of people didn't read the description for Sandman #10 page as the last 2 panels and only panels of Dream were stats and not art, which affected the overall price of the page. Still a great important page but I'm honestly surprised it cracked $20k+ due to the stats. Again, talking to a few people after the auction they weren't aware of the stats of Dream and were glad they didn't bid on it to that level.

I thought the Sandman #17 was about right I had it at $25-30k, maybe slightly more and I was one of the underbidders, but I already used my cut and next bid then would've taken it right under the $30k mark to nearly $28.8k. Still a great page overall.

But overall I think you're right about Sandman fatigue as in the last year+ any Dringenberg / Kieth art specifically with even 1 panel of Dream in it has brought $20k+ min and that looks like it's starting to change. Or at least feels that way, which would be nice so some of us may actually win a nice page!

Hah, I was considering using my cut bid at the end on the Calliope page but thought they/you’d cut back or just be encouraged to keep going. Failed to notice that if you’d used your cut you couldn’t do so again. 

On 6/22/2024 at 9:31 PM, 1classics said:

Yeah not cheap but not high either. I saw this page about where it landed, but I could see it hitting $140-160k (another bid or two). 

I definitely had the Ditko Spidey pegged for higher and was considering making a pre-auction offer which in hindsight would have been a bit over enthusiastic.