• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions June 20-23 Auction is unreal !
1 1

105 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 11:30 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I really want to see that Famous Funnies #212 cover prelim by Frazetta. The image is not posted yet

And the Wally Wood Mars Attacks card art for "Destroy the City! Wow

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 4/11/2024 at 2:51 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

A whole variety of ways. I'm not one of them, But they exist, obviously. 

I guess it just boggles my mind sometimes that I post here and there are others who post here that can bid $175,000 on something. To me, that's beyond my comprehension.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:54 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I guess it just boggles my mind sometimes that I post here and there are others who post here that can bid $175,000 on something. To me, that's beyond my comprehension.

It's far beyond my means, to be sure. But not my comprehension. 

just a matter of how bad you want something.    I bought something for a little more than that once, but only once.    I sold something else to cover the cost.    

All you really need to bid 175k on something is a collection that has 200k in liquid items in it; its not that high a bar if someone has been collecting a long time and has items with FMV far above cost.    Obviously if your collection has 5m or 20m of items in it, it gets a lot easier.      Not every buy has to be you dropping 200k, it can also be a 200k sideways move.

Only a few people can drop 200k every week like its nothing, but the market at that level isn't just made up of those people.    Its also made up of those who will consign other items, those who are willing to go into debt for a while to pay it off, etc etc.

Truthfully, it’s beyond mine as well. But then, so is spending $1,000,000 on a car to keep in your garage as a collectible, or taking a Ferrari on the road to get stuck in traffic. 

On 4/11/2024 at 11:54 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Whenever I think I am doing well with life and finances I just look at HA.com and it brings me down to earth. I have no idea how much money I would need to have in the bank or make on an annual basis to spend this kind of money on collectibles. For someone who has spent his entire adult life collecting, and a lot of my free time engaging with the collecting hobbies, I sure feel like a light weight in my willingness to drop this much money on something. 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:17 AM, batman_fan said:

Or you could try my business model, I’m a reverse stripper.  I come out naked and the ladies pay me to put my clothes on.

You may be on to something there!