• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you separate these attached pages?

6 posts in this topic

So I've got this Dave Sim Cerebus thing where there's original artwork and then the letter/cert with it. The art must have been laid on top of the cert thing while the ink was still wet or just printed, because it's stuck together on the bottom. If I pull it apart when dry it will tear (at least the surface if not completely) but I'm afraid to soak it. The artwork is not on that part of the piece, it's centered. How would you go about trying to separate the two, or is it a lost cause and should be just left as is? Opinions welcomed, please. Thanks. 

IMG_20240409_103550.jpg

On 4/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

So I've got this Dave Sim Cerebus thing where there's original artwork and then the letter/cert with it. The art must have been laid on top of the cert thing while the ink was still wet or just printed, because it's stuck together on the bottom. If I pull it apart when dry it will tear (at least the surface if not completely) but I'm afraid to soak it. The artwork is not on that part of the piece, it's centered. How would you go about trying to separate the two, or is it a lost cause and should be just left as is? Opinions welcomed, please. Thanks. 

IMG_20240409_103550.jpg

This depends a lot on the properties of the ink. Generally, I suggest starting out by freezing the affected pages. Obviously, you want to ensure that the pages are kept free of moisture during this process!  If that doesn't work, you can instead try heat -- I'd suggest a hair dryer on its lowest setting, kept well away from the paper itself -- although I'd expect you to have better luck with the cold treatment on this ink.

In either case, instead of trying to pull the pages apart manually, use a length of waxed dental floss to separate them, working very slowly. 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:39 AM, Qalyar said:

This depends a lot on the properties of the ink. Generally, I suggest starting out by freezing the affected pages. Obviously, you want to ensure that the pages are kept free of moisture during this process!  If that doesn't work, you can instead try heat -- I'd suggest a hair dryer on its lowest setting, kept well away from the paper itself -- although I'd expect you to have better luck with the cold treatment on this ink.

In either case, instead of trying to pull the pages apart manually, use a length of waxed dental floss to separate them, working very slowly. 

Excellent suggestions. An alternative to the hair dryer is to put your oven at about 160-180 degrees and warm it up in there for 40 minutes or an hour. You may experience some slight bowing to the paper, which can be flattened out with weight easy enough. That low of a temp won't damage or discolor the paper. I've used this method to eliminate mildew smell in paper and had no problems with heat, other than a light bowing of the paper.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:49 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Excellent suggestions. An alternative to the hair dryer is to put your oven at about 160-180 degrees and warm it up in there for 40 minutes or an hour. You may experience some slight bowing to the paper, which can be flattened out with weight easy enough. That low of a temp won't damage or discolor the paper. I've used this method to eliminate mildew smell in paper and had no problems with heat, other than a light bowing of the paper.

Oh, you mean 160-180F, right? For the developed world unused to freedom units that's 70-80C

Make sure your oven is calibrated. If it is a newer oven, it should be ok. Older ovens have a habit of heating higher than the setting. If your not sure if your oven is calibrated properly buy an analog oven thermometer.

Edited by mysterymachine

On 4/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, Qalyar said:

I'll try the freezing first. How should I protect it all? Large Ziploc bag? Artwork on bottom and paper on top? Any other paper surrounding them? How long should I freeze them?

I can provide more pics of everything if needed. It's a rare piece so I want to do this right and prevent any further damage.