• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy cr@p sales of the week
1 1

29 posts in this topic

The Rudolph and Sgt Rock weren't big surprises.  The Sgt Rock is impossible to find in grade. The Superboy Annual was a surprise, because although I suspected it would go for a big price because it's impossible to find in grade, I didn't think it would go for that much.  

The Frontier Fighters, on the other hand... :whatthe: !!!  I know nothing about the book, is there anything that makes it desirable?

Edited by tth2

On 4/11/2024 at 2:53 AM, tth2 said:

The Frontier Fighters, on the other hand... :whatthe: !!!  I know nothing about the book, is there anything that makes it desirable?

On 4/11/2024 at 2:53 AM, tth2 said:

it's impossible to find in grade

On 4/11/2024 at 11:16 AM, buttock said:

Strange Adventures 79 in CGC 9.4 W at $14,400 has to be considered here as well.  

I never did understand that one. I get the interest in the SA 110, but 79 never grabbed me, though many consider it Icon. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo( afriend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/11/2024 at 9:26 AM, jimjum12 said:

I never did understand that one. I get the interest in the SA 110, but 79 never grabbed me, though many consider it Icon. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo( afriend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yeah, it has a certain campy coolness, but there are many other covers in the run I would prefer.  

I'm trying to guess whether the comics above were bought by investors/flippers or collectors desperately trying to fill in runs. Funny how board members here very rarely admit to being the ones who snagged the comics that fetched nosebleed prices.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/10/2024 at 5:38 PM, jimjum12 said:

If you're going to keep liking DC, you may have to get that second job now.... like the rest of us.

Yeah it's distressing. Both the Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales and the Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer Giants are right up there on my Want List. The reason of course that I've not acquired these issues previously is that I've never stumbled across them in grades as nice as my other comics.

But yes to the second job anyway. I all too often feel that my talents are going to waste now that I'm retired. Be interesting to try my hand in other fields.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/11/2024 at 10:37 AM, Hepcat said:

I'm trying to guess whether the comics above were bought by investors/flippers or collectors desperately trying to fill in runs. Funny how board members here very rarely admit to being the ones who snagged the comics that fetched nosebleed prices.

(shrug)

In my experience it's collectors.  I know several people eager to bid on several of these and willing to go high.  

On 4/11/2024 at 9:58 AM, jimjum12 said:

I got lucky on my 63 annual ... 1ST with Silvers and then again on eBay. It was hard to tell which was the undercopy. That rarely happens for me. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

All I'm missing now are 1952/53 and 1961/62. 

RUDOLPH 1963G.jpg

My copy is missing the back cover.  But it's one of those books where I'm happy to have a copy at all.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:29 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 4/11/2024 at 2:53 PM, tth2 said:

On 4/11/2024 at 2:53 PM, tth2 said:

it's impossible to find in grade

Yeah, but it's Frontier Fighters! 

I believe every book being mentioned is sole census highest. Which is insane. One person grades a Frontier Fighters 8 in 8.5 and poof, there goes your $4,300.

Also, Brave and the Bolds 1-24 are way better books and have never commanded those prices in 8.0.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:03 PM, Silver said:

I believe every book being mentioned is sole census highest. Which is insane. One person grades a Frontier Fighters 8 in 8.5 and poof, there goes your $4,300.

Also, Brave and the Bolds 1-24 are way better books and have never commanded those prices in 8.0.

Collecting high-grade 50s books is really strange.  The nicest copy in existence could be a 7.5, but the old collectors have no incentive to slab so you'll never know.  There were just a handful of exceptionally nice DCs that went through the weekly and this signature auction that were evidently from 5 different sources (what are the odds?).  Most of those issues had never been available in those grades publicly.  We're now talking 24 years of CGC, GPA, Heritage archives, etc.  And it's taken this long for an 8.0 or 9.0 to hit the market.  But if it sells for $4300 and now the guy who owns the WM copy gets a 9.2 and you're hosed... but it's been over 20 years of waiting!  Do you wait for that one to come out... if it ever does?  And if it does, will it now go for twice that?