• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
3 3

139 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2024 at 11:37 PM, PopKulture said:

For me, it’s a little like the baseball hall of fame. Even the folks at CGC are seeing some covers for the first time and being too impressed. These are like the Harold Baines of pulp covers - really solid, but not HoF nor “classic.” 

+1

Classics are tough to determine, but it's neat to see the debate.  That said, I'm not willing to grant Steranko, Robinson, etc. or even the consensus circa 1980 the call on what's classic, either.   Some of the picks in the old pulp reference/art books are to a certain taste and frame of reference, and over time the fame of some artists rises while it falls for others.  The status of Frank Paul and early SF may be an example.  I suppose that means you shouldn't give too much credence to current tastes, either, but that may be hard to do.

One thing for sure, the term classic gets thrown around a lot when it comes to selling a book :dollars:

That Thrilling Mystery is totally new to me, by the way, very cool. I'd never have pegged it for a Ward (and honestly still don't see it).

On 5/22/2024 at 3:35 PM, Darwination said:

Classics are tough to determine, but it's neat to see the debate.  That said, I'm not willing to grant Steranko, Robinson, etc. or even the consensus circa 1980 the call on what's classic, either.   Some of the picks in the old pulp reference/art books are to a certain taste and frame of reference, and over time the fame of some artists rises while it falls for others.  The status of Frank Paul and early SF may be an example.  I suppose that means you shouldn't give too much credence to current tastes, either, but that may be hard to do.

One thing for sure, the term classic gets thrown around a lot when it comes to selling a book :dollars:

That Thrilling Mystery is totally new to me, by the way, very cool. I'd never have pegged it for a Ward (and honestly still don't see it).

I agree with you i am going with Belarski looks to much like his work to me.The fact we all make mistakes but no graded copies out there and one is coming to Metro auction raw soon (thumbsu

The word classic cover is given to freely in my opinion lately but if your selling one it doesn't hurt.The dealers are always calling a book a classic but do you really believe it yourself that is the question .

On 5/22/2024 at 2:57 PM, comicjack said:

I agree with you i am going with Belarski looks to much like his work to me.The fact we all make mistakes but no graded copies out there and one is coming to Metro auction raw soon (thumbsu

John Gunnison has it as Belarski in his Pulp Art Masters book. In my corner of the world, his opinion carries substantial weight. (thumbsu

On 5/22/2024 at 3:35 PM, Darwination said:

That would appear to be an error, probably taken from the Galactic Central site.  Belarski dominated the covers of that title during those years, and there is no listing for any other Ward cover in the entire run.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:08 AM, PopKulture said:

I think they’re going to the well too often with the “classic cover” designation. If every cover that has a skull on it, or a woman in bondage, gets the “classic” designation, collecting a subset of pulps CGC doesn’t consider classic will eventually be more challenging! 2c

A nice group of submissions, by the way! (thumbsu

Yes. This cover is not a "classic." 

On 5/23/2024 at 5:18 PM, Sarg said:

Only about 10 to 20 pulp covers should be considered classic. Anything above that renders the term meaningless. 

It could maybe be as many as fifty, but the upper limit should be sensibly low. They've shown a lack of restraint thus far. They might just designate fifty Phantom Detective covers alone as "classic." (shrug)