• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your DC Funny Animal comics!
1 1

76 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2024 at 11:07 AM, Robot Man said:

#5 is the best cover in the run as well as most of DC’s funny animal output. But frankly, it, as well of most of them, are pretty much unreadable. Thusly, I don’t have too many of them.

I appreciate that so many collectors share your antipathy.  I wish more would.

On 4/16/2024 at 1:17 PM, OtherEric said:

Funny Stuff #5 is almost entirely by Sheldon Mayer:

Funny_Stuff_05.thumb.jpg.4a26cc824d808c57d194caf0bab5ba0f.jpg

While I have a few others, most of my DC Funny Animal books have Sheldon Mayer stories... I think his stuff was hilarious.  (As if my Avatar wasn't a giveaway on that...)

I enjoy Jim Davis' work as well.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 2:05 PM, adamstrange said:

I enjoy Jim Davis' work as well.

Yes, the James F. Davis known primarily for his "Fox and the Crow", "Hound and the Hare" and "Twiddle and Twaddle" stories the last of which appeared in Flippity and Flop" comics from 1948 to 1967.

(thumbsu

Edited by Hepcat

He also drew Flip & Flop. 

On 4/17/2024 at 12:15 AM, Hepcat said:

Yes, the James F. Davis known primarily for his "Fox and the Crow", "Hare and the Hound" and "Twiddle and Twaddle" stories the last of which appeared in Flippity and Flop" comics from 1948 to 1967.

(thumbsu

He also drew Flip and Flop.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:32 AM, Hepcat said:

Hmmmm. Mike only has him working on "Flippity and Flop" stories in issue #9:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/main/features/creator.php?creatorid=364

But of course Mike doesn't necessarily have all the info either.

(shrug)

I'm not sure where I read it, but it made perfect sense as I have seen and liked a lot from both from Flip and Fox.

On 4/17/2024 at 8:55 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Off Topic - but there's a funny animal on the cover!

DC published Mutt and Jeff for twenty years. This issue is all strip reprints which I think most of them were. hard to imagine this series lasted this long.

MuttJeff12.jpg.c1e01719752b8f7c4bf3df8d65b3da17.jpg

The GCD credits the cover to Sheldon Mayer, which I can see.  Although it looks like they credit all the DC Mutt & Jeff covers to him, which I am far more skeptical of.

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 1:54 AM, adamstrange said:

I'm not sure where I read it, but it made perfect sense as I have seen and liked a lot from both from Flip and Fox.

Perhaps in this post on Facebook by Grand Comics Database:

https://www.facebook.com/GrandComicsDatabase/photos/a.226127824089794/4214065905295946/?type=3

Here's a list of the characters on which Davis worked from the Grand Comics Database:

https://www.comics.org/series/865/details/creators/

But they short change Davis on the "Hound and the Hare" for which Mike credits Davis extensively. But Mike meanwhile only credits a minority of DC Funny Animal stories with artists or writers so I have no trouble believing that James F. Davis drew and perhaps wrote many more "Flippity and Flop" and other Funny Animal stories for DC.

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Off Topic - but there's a funny animal on the cover!

Two actually!

:wink:

Both Mutt and Jeff and Rex the Wonder Dog comics are welcome in this thread. After all, Cicero's Cat was a noteworthy part of stable of the Mutt and Jeff stable of characters and therefore both titles contain large elements of "funny" and "animal".

Rex44.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

DC published Mutt and Jeff for twenty years. This issue is all strip reprints which I think most of them were. hard to imagine this series lasted this long.

M&J was hyuuuuuge, making Fisher a very wealthy man.  He ultimately outsourced production of the strip while taking in the vast majority of the revenue which included licensing deals.  I have read that Bob Kane's objective was to be in a similar position, which is why he was fine with outsourcing Batman art but tried to keep his name front and center in the published comics.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:45 PM, Hepcat said:

Perhaps in this post on Facebook by Grand Comics Database:

https://www.facebook.com/GrandComicsDatabase/photos/a.226127824089794/4214065905295946/?type=3

Here's a list of the characters on which Davis worked from the Grand Comics Database:

https://www.comics.org/series/865/details/creators/

But they short change Davis on the "Hare and the Hound" for which Mike credits Davis extensively. But Mike meanwhile only credits a minority of DC Funny Animal stories with artists or writers so I have no trouble believing that James F. Davis drew and perhaps wrote many more "Flippity and Flop" and other Funny Animal stories for DC.

Mike, sadly, is no longer with us, and I don't know where he got his information.

I trust GCD more because a lot art indexers did support it, and they record alternate opinions and reasoning behind the credits.

We've come a very long way, but there are still a lot of credits to correct, and lot of credits to be discovered. 

On 4/17/2024 at 4:49 PM, adamstrange said:

Mike, sadly, is no longer with us, and I don't know where he got his information.

I trust GCD more because a lot art indexers did support it, and they record alternate opinions and reasoning behind the credits.

But would you question the creator credits Mike gave to Jim Davis for the many "Hound and the Hare" stories?

???

On 4/17/2024 at 6:49 PM, Hepcat said:

But would you question the creator credits Mike gave to Jim Davis for the many "Hound and the Hare" stories?

???

I don't recall those well enough to have an opinion, so it will have to wait until the next time I dive into those comics.  My collection is still recovering from the "marauders" last weekend.