• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When "Pulps" Meet "Slicks"
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Still grabbing the occasional Colliers and adding to the list....

IMG_20240309_230304892.thumb.jpg.9d06216f0b73384e186f4dfaa88eefcd.jpg

So much terrific artwork in there.  I've been taking photos of some of Godwin's work when I go through them.  I've considered starting a thread for him...  another "favorite" artist of mine.

IMG_20240310_100611765.thumb.jpg.03b9f30b7b071f1f6bbdc98ebbad8bcc.jpg

Liberty April 4, 1936, cover by Walter Baumhofer, longtime pulp artist best known for covers for Adventure and Doc Savage and *many* other pulps.  In the late to mid 30s he began to "crossover" and his covers appeared on Liberty and The American Magazine and his interior illos appeared in the likes of Cosmopolitan, McCall's, Woman's Home Companion and other slicks.

Libertyv13n14(4-4-36)cover.thumb.jpg.96e1e48cf59b7bed5013d452e708b82d.jpg

Splash within for William James Blackledge's Company of the Damned (hmm, it's Doc Savage heh heh)

page12andpage13illoCompanyoftheDamnedWalterBaumhofer.thumb.jpg.7f1b4ffff66cc5f03542a41310d294ea.jpg

Also within, the conclusion of James M. Cain's Double Indemnity. Cain began his career as a newspaperman but went to work for H.L. Mencken at The American Mercury.  He moved into novels and screenwriting during the height of his popularity in the 30s and 40s and his work would often appear in Liberty.  While never writing for the pulps, outside of WWII service propaganda, Cain is often lumped into the noir or pulp category for his brand of crime fiction.  Cain did, however, have a couple appearances in early Manhunt crime digests which are pulp in my book and sold many an Avon paperback.  Illo from James Montgomery Flagg, who in his long, long illustrious career, to my knowledge, never did appear in the pulps.

page52andpage53splashDoubleIndemnityJamesMontgomeryFlagg.thumb.jpg.c27092c64f2082023b9aacc7650ecc80.jpg

On 4/16/2024 at 1:03 AM, Darwination said:

Also within, the conclusion of James M. Cain's Double Indemnity. Cain began his career as a newspaperman but went to work for H.L. Mencken at The American Mercury.  He moved into novels and screenwriting during the height of his popularity in the 30s and 40s and his work would often appear in Liberty.  While never writing for the pulps, outside of WWII service propaganda, Cain is often lumped into the noir or pulp category for his brand of crime fiction.  Cain did, however, have a couple appearances in early Manhunt crime digests which are pulp in my book and sold many an Avon paperback.

Several of Cain's books appeared in Avon's Murder Mystery Monthly series, which is something of an overlap between pulp digests and paperbacks.  The MMM edition of "Double Indemnity" was the first standalone complete edition of the story, it has previously been reprinted in an omnibus with two other stories by Cain.

Murder Mystery Monthly 06.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 16.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 20.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly 44.jpg

On 4/16/2024 at 1:03 AM, Darwination said:

I used to think he was one of the best.  I've downgraded him a notch on my "best" list, but I still find really wonderful stuff from him.  He's simply not consistently the best.

IMG_20231229_224807910.thumb.jpg.5e617325c8bd7d44ea3c2429e51a7d48.jpg

Edited from a Hearsts/Cosmo.

I'm most preferential to his pen and ink stuff, but he was pretty well versed.  The guy was around for so long and in so many different publications - I've never really sat down and tried to learn about the scope of his career or map out his art (maybe cuz I'm so pulp-centric).

I'm crazy about this one:

College Humor 1926-03 v07n04.Collegiate World cover James Montgomery Flagg

Here's some of that pen and ink I'm talking about

Judge 1924-03-15 Flagg The First Musical Comedy