• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hesitation about a purchase... buy or not?
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I want some opinions, until im in the hobby i was only collecting modern and now i decided to com0lete a whole JLA run, this mean that im gonna buy silver and bronze books for the first time... 
So i have an agreement for an almost complete run (135books) from 95 to 261 or if you prefer 1971 to 1986, the total price with shipping make an average price of 3.1$ dollars per books, however as i seen many of the early issue,like between 95 to 115 ~ are in really low grade and maybe i will need to replace some of them, if i assume to have to replace, lets says, hum... 15 books on the lot it would make an average price of 3.6$.
What do you think of that price guys? Thanks for your answers.

Are you collecting this JLA run for fun or to flip? Low grade run books are the way to go for reading. Save your extra money for the big ticket books. 

On 4/18/2024 at 9:35 AM, BA773 said:

I want some opinions, until im in the hobby i was only collecting modern and now i decided to com0lete a whole JLA run, this mean that im gonna buy silver and bronze books for the first time... 
So i have an agreement for an almost complete run (135books) from 95 to 261 or if you prefer 1971 to 1986, the total price with shipping make an average price of 3.1$ dollars per books, however as i seen many of the early issue,like between 95 to 115 ~ are in really low grade and maybe i will need to replace some of them, if i assume to have to replace, lets says, hum... 15 books on the lot it would make an average price of 3.6$.
What do you think of that price guys? Thanks for your answers.

It's going to be tough to get a lot of good responses, because the biggest barrier for you is shipping to Switzerland.  Very few books from that era (95 to 261) are of any particular interest, #107 maybe, and so have been seen in discount bins for ages.  With enough time and effort, you could probably get almost all of them for $2 each or less, but that doesn't help you get them to Switzerland.  Basically, I'm saying you should also consider alternative costs for these issues.  Do you think it's possible to get this many for this price or less?

I spent a long time filling runs, like post-crisis Flash, Green Lantern, Detective, Batman, and today wish I hadn't wasted the effort.  I'd rather have one $100 comic than 100 $1 comics.  

My vote would be, read the comics on a digital platform and ignore the bulk.

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 4:50 PM, wardevil0 said:

It's going to be tough to get a lot of good responses, because the biggest barrier for you is shipping to Switzerland.  Very few books from that era (95 to 261) are of any particular interest, #107 maybe, and so have been seen in discount bins for ages.  With enough time and effort, you could probably get almost all of them for $2 each or less, but that doesn't help you get them to Switzerland.  Basically, I'm saying you should also consider alternative costs for these issues.  Do you think it's possible to get this many for this price or less?

I spent a long time filling runs, like post-crisis Flash, Green Lantern, Detective, Batman, and today wish I hadn't wasted the effort.  I'd rather have one $100 comic than 100 $1 comics.  

Read my post... "shipping include"

However here is the point more the books are old more is difficult to find continuous run is why it still probably a good option for someone with my sh*tty location.

And about digital, you have on the pic below your answer...

IMG-20240407-WA0012.thumb.jpg.ded05b4431115b3f1d1e0d328be4bdea.jpg

F*** it, this world is already so faked and now you r gonna tell me to read online?! Im now about 7/8 boxes like this and trust me it will never stop to increase! 

Edited by BA773

On 4/18/2024 at 11:00 AM, BA773 said:

Read my post... "shipping include"

And about digital, you have on the pic below your answer...

IMG-20240407-WA0012.thumb.jpg.ded05b4431115b3f1d1e0d328be4bdea.jpg

it, this world is already so faked and now you r gonna tell me to read online?! Im now about 7/8 boxes like this and trust me it will never stop to increase! 

Alrighty. I'm over 15,000 comics, mostly bought out of some misbegotten urge to fill a run or maintain loyalty to a title that wasn't really very interesting.  Do what you want, but don't start a topic of discussion and act condescending to people who actually try to discuss it with you.  I'd be glad to sell you some of my worthless drek for $3 each, guaranteed no fake.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:15 AM, wardevil0 said:

Alrighty. I'm over 15,000 comics, mostly bought out of some misbegotten urge to fill a run or maintain loyalty to a title that wasn't really very interesting.  Do what you want, but don't start a topic of discussion and act condescending to people who actually try to discuss it with you.  I'd be glad to sell you some of my worthless drek for $3 each, guaranteed no fake.

All we need is a little patience guns n roses.

Screenshot_20240418-101826.png

On 4/18/2024 at 10:50 AM, wardevil0 said:

see the first reply to this post....says it all :gossip:

On 4/18/2024 at 5:15 PM, wardevil0 said:

Well i dont wanted to be hard... its just that the disscusion was not about it at origin, i just wanted to know if peoples here tought it was a good deal or not...

Are you just saying that in the wind or you have books  for sale? Im always interested :shy:

On 4/18/2024 at 11:55 AM, BA773 said:

Well i dont wanted to be hard... its just that the disscusion was not about it at origin, i just wanted to know if peoples here tought it was a good deal or not...

Are you just saying that in the wind or you have books  for sale? Im always interested :shy:

Yeah, I've got a ton of miscellaneous Marvel and DC I'd love to move on.  My lists are a decade out of date, but I could give you an estimate of titles over the next couple of days.

On 4/18/2024 at 6:04 PM, wardevil0 said:

Yeah, I've got a ton of miscellaneous Marvel and DC I'd love to move on.  My lists are a decade out of date, but I could give you an estimate of titles over the next couple of days.

Do you have at least an idea if you could have a great quantity of the first Justice League of America run? Because its really the serie i will focus on for a while now i think. If yes it will be really nice of your part to check in details.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:24 PM, BA773 said:

Do you have at least an idea if you could have a great quantity of the first Justice League of America run? Because its really the serie i will focus on for a while now i think. If yes it will be really nice of your part to check in details.

No, I can confirm I don't have very many of this particular run, just a few.  There may be some you need, I'll try to post a list/photo of what I've got.

BA773 - I know you have a preference for DC (as do I) and if you want to have these to read, as well as collect, and you think it is a great deal, then you are in for a treat!  The first issue of JLA I ever got, coincidentally, was 95, and I fell in love with it as a kid!  I started buying it monthly around issue 168 to 250 or so, when I graduated high school and left for college and stopped buying new comics for several years.  In those 7 or 8 years I bought every back issue back to 45 or so...  And eventually was able to complete the entire series 15 or 20 years ago.

So, obviously, I am a little biased when it comes to 70s-80's Justice League of America - and I know that's not going to be the majority opinion around here.

But again - if you are looking to read and enjoy these, and not worry more about condition and flipping and "keys", you have a lot of good times ahead - the re-introduction of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, and old Quality and Fawcett heroes as part of several annul JLA/JSA team-up.  And all the great gold and silver age story reprints in the early 70s 52 page and 100 Page Super Spectacular issues!  And once you hit the early 80's there are a lot of great covers by George Perez and Brian Bolland.  They're not all great - of course - there's lots of good reading and good times in those books!  Or at least I thought so from the ages of 10-17 or so.  :bigsmile:

On 4/18/2024 at 11:15 AM, wardevil0 said:

Look, man. You said, "guaranteed no fake" and then @F For Fake liked your post.

Don't make promises your butt can't keep, dude. That ain't right.