• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Weird Science-Fantasy #29 - Frazetta Cover

20 posts in this topic

Sharp copy you have there. I think 6.0 is too harsh. I would say 7.0 myself, especially with the GA curve.

7.0 - That's what I want to hear! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I suspect 6.0 is closer though.

Selling? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

lol, not yet. I just got it today - I want to enjoy it for a little while first! grin.gif This is probably as close as I'll be able to get to a decent Frazetta Buck Rogers cover for a while.

The Grading Bastiche says.....5.5.

What is everyone hammering this book for? What am I missing? It has some spine stress, a negligible spine split, a tiny crease on the top edge, and some blunted corners, all of which are allowed in 7.0. Check out the golden age F/VFs in the OSGG on pages 216 and 217. Check out the AF 15 on 221, as it has spine creases, corner abrasions, and small chips. The book in question has VERY similar defects. Once you get into 6.0 and lower for golden age comics they typically exibit 1"+ tears, moderate edge chipping, and/or browing. This book is better than that. confused-smiley-013.gif It has excellent color as well.

I would say that at least as far as eye appeal goes, I like mine better than this 6.5:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weird-Science-Fantas...0QQcmdZViewItem

Terrible scan, but it looks like it has some vertical reading creases along the spine (which I hate) and also a 1/4 to 1/2" tear on the top edge.

I guess what worries me about my copy is the color loss along the edge of the spine fold. I suppose it's not huge deal, since the book is supposed to be creased there obviously, but since it's a dark cover it's more noticible. Basically my goal was to find a decent affordable mid-grade copy where the flaws didn't really affect the cover art so I'm very happy with this one.

I guess what worries me about my copy is the color loss along the edge of the spine fold. I suppose it's not huge deal, since the book is supposed to be creased there obviously, but since it's a dark cover it's more noticible. Basically my goal was to find a decent affordable mid-grade copy where the flaws didn't really affect the cover art so I'm very happy with this one.

My guess would be that CGC (and most collectors) would treat that as a production issue and wouldn't downgrade it. Actually, I have several modern books with the same kind of defect and I have no doubt they all left the plant that way.

My guess would be that CGC (and most collectors) would treat that as a production issue and wouldn't downgrade it. Actually, I have several modern books with the same kind of defect and I have no doubt they all left the plant that way.

I disagree . . . for all the same reasons insane.gif

It's spine wear in it's purest form . . . moderns are apples, this is an orange sumo.gif

What is everyone hammering this book for? What am I missing? It has some spine stress, a negligible spine split, a tiny crease on the top edge, and some blunted corners, all of which are allowed in 7.0. Check out the golden age F/VFs in the OSGG on pages 216 and 217. Check out the AF 15 on 221, as it has spine creases, corner abrasions, and small chips. The book in question has VERY similar defects. Once you get into 6.0 and lower for golden age comics they typically exibit 1"+ tears, moderate edge chipping, and/or browing. This book is better than that. confused-smiley-013.gif It has excellent color as well.

It also has complete color loss across the spine (heavy spine abrasion). Without that color loss, I'm with you at 7.0, but with it, you can't go higher than 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah Divad, what would you grade then? The line of color loss is along the entire length of the spine.

Notwithstanding the color loss along the edge of the spine, it is still clearly a Fine grade book, perhaps a little nicer . . .

6.5 sumo.gif

grin.gif

It also has complete color loss across the spine (heavy spine abrasion). Without that color loss, I'm with you at 7.0, but with it, you can't go higher than 6.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

As I said before, that's likely a printing defect. When the book was folded much of the color probably came off, just like on some moderns. I would need to look at other copies of that book, but it wouldn't surprise me if many of them had the exact same defect....I know my copy did before I sold it. confused-smiley-013.gif

So the consenus seems to be right at 6.0 with a decent chance at 6.5. I can certainly live with that. It's a great book and a classic cover.

BTW, I'm sure everybody knows the story about how this cover was originally intended to be a Buck Rogers cover for Famous Funnies 217, but was rejected for being to violent. But, have you ever seen the lamea$$ boring cover that they used instead? It's hard to believe they rejected Frazetta's work and replaced it with this:

famousfunnies217sm6np.jpg

I guess the brand new CCA seal in the upper corner explains it all though. screwy.gif