• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which would you rather have?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I have an LCS whose owner seems to prefer silver age Marvels to anything else, regardless of value. That is, if value is equal, he seems more willing to buy SA Marvel than anything else.

I was just thinking about this in the context of my collection and wondered which of the following comics, of approximately equal value, are most appealing:

1. CGC 9.6 X-Men 266
  2. CGC 9.4 Hulk (2008) #1 newsstand edition
  3. CGC 8.5 Marvel Premiere #1
  4. Raw (app. CGC 9.4) Captain Marvel Adventures #30

I'd put them in reverse chronological order for preference, making the CMA 30 the most appealing, followed by the MP 1, then X-Men 266, and last, the Hulk. And yet, the Hulk is easily the rarest of the group, and all are worth in the $350-$500 range.

is the question ""I would rather" of the 4?

Between the ages and in same value? I think this is what you're asking, but regardless it is just based on the book, as for the dealer on what sells, and which would give you a good idea on the market near you.

I wonder if the market even differs based on location? I know it would in the 80's or 90's, with wizard and etc maybe not by much, or with the internet today idk either.

that said, it would depend on the books between the ages that I had considered, then to my collection, and so on :cheers:

I own all those except number 4 the Captain Marvel Adventures, and I'd have to google why it is $tree-fiddy+ lol but that isn't something I've seen in the wild lol 

:ohnoez: anyway! 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/19/2024 at 3:37 PM, paqart said:

I have an LCS whose owner seems to prefer silver age Marvels to anything else, regardless of value. 

1. CGC 9.6 X-Men 266
  2. CGC 9.4 Hulk (2008) #1 newsstand edition
  3. CGC 8.5 Marvel Premiere #1
  4. Raw (app. CGC 9.4) Captain Marvel Adventures #30

Also, I'd be curious by what you mean by would "prefer silver age?"

If you mean he offers more in trade in, it could be as simple as they've been around long enough in market trends that it seems a more trusted seller.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Marvel Premiere 1 for me.

I agree! Of the 3 I own of the 4, Marvel Premiere was the last for me to obtain, too, so grain of salt all around!

On 4/19/2024 at 4:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

is the question ""I would rather" of the 4?

Between the ages and in same value? I think this is what you're asking, but regardless it is just based on the book, as for the dealer on what sells, and which would give you a good idea on the market near you.

I wonder if the market even differs based on location? I know it would in the 80's or 90's, with wizard and etc maybe not by much, or with the internet today idk either.

that said, it would depend on the books between the ages that I had considered, then to my collection, and so on :cheers:

I own all those except number 4 the Captain Marvel Adventures, and I'd have to google why it is $tree-fiddy+ lol but that isn't something I've seen in the wild lol 

:ohnoez: anyway! 

I was looking at the wrong grade for the CMA price. In 8.5 it's about $400, but more like $2k in 9.0. So just pretend it's an 8.5 for this example.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:18 PM, grendelbo said:

+1 easy.

I've always liked MP1 but recently discovered the Captain Marvel family of comics and have been targeting them. For what they are, they are seriously underpriced. As an added bonus, I recently realized that C.C. Beck is one of the best GA artists, though his contemporary at Fawcett, Mac Raboy, gets all the attention. My opinion, Raboy isn't even that good, let alone brilliant, but his covers suck up all the collector dollars, leaving the Becks very affordable.

Beck 4.jpg

Beck 5.jpg

Beck 6.jpg

Beck train.jpeg

CM 5.jpg

CM 132.jpg

Whiz 23.jpg

Whiz 67.jpg

I like Beck’s Captain Marvel, too. A great read for the children of the 40’s and seriously under appreciated today. However, Raboy was a genius, as well. Beautiful line work and shading. His run on the Flash Gordon Sundays was a highlight of my youth. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:39 PM, ageofsilver said:

I like Beck’s Captain Marvel, too. A great read for the children of the 40’s and seriously under appreciated today. However, Raboy was a genius, as well. Beautiful line work and shading. His run on the Flash Gordon Sundays was a highlight of my youth. 

The Flash Gordons are a lot better than the Fawcett material. I assume he got better later, just as other artists did. For instance, Carl Barks is my favorite comic book artist, but I have a hard time getting excited about his first comic, Four Color 9, because he hadn't developed his style yet. I feel the same about early Kirby, but they often have Schaffenberger covers to make up for his inexperience in the first couple of years.

I would prefer to own the CMA since I have never owned a copy of that one, but I would prefer to try to sell the UXM 266 since there is a steady market of buyers willing to pay for one. What I buy for myself and what I buy with an eye toward reselling are two very different animals. 

The grade on the Captain Marvel Adventures is apparent, meaning restored?  It's old, but not the most difficult issue in the run to find.  I wouldn't buy a restored copy.

Which one do you want?  I don't see any of these as a strong option for that kind of money.  Hulk is going to peak and crash with the next Captain America movie because of Red Hulk.  Gambit is a known quantity.  Marvel Premiere 1 is a nice book, but do you want to spend that much for one?

On 4/20/2024 at 10:13 AM, FineCollector1 said:

The grade on the Captain Marvel Adventures is apparent, meaning restored?  It's old, but not the most difficult issue in the run to find.  I wouldn't buy a restored copy.

Which one do you want?  I don't see any of these as a strong option for that kind of money.  Hulk is going to peak and crash with the next Captain America movie because of Red Hulk.  Gambit is a known quantity.  Marvel Premiere 1 is a nice book, but do you want to spend that much for one?

CMA isn't restored. I say "apparent" because it isn't graded, so it's what it looks like to me. In the CGC grading contests btw, I consistently grade Golden Age comics about .5 to 1.0 lower than CGC. This CMA is the nicest looking GA comic I've ever owned, condition-wise, and that includes GA comics I bought in the 1970's, when they weren't nearly as old as they are today. The cover even still has some gloss.

My question btw, applies to any set of equal value comics. I was thinking of it primarily in the context of modern newsstand edition comics. I have about 1,500 of those, most published in the 2001-2013 time frame. The values I see attached to them are quite high in some cases, and I find myself thinking I'd rather have the value in a GA or SA comic.

ASM 30 X2.jpg

CGC 003.jpg

key cgc.jpg