• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this and how do I fix it?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Picked this Planet Comics #1 from Blackthorne years ago and now with Stevens books being so hot I thought I would ask for advice on what to do with this one. Front can be a 9.8 with a press but no idea how to fix the back. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0087.jpeg

On 4/21/2024 at 6:15 PM, Mayor006 said:

Picked this Planet Comics #1 from Blackthorne years ago and now with Stevens books being so hot I thought I would ask for advice on what to do with this one. Front can be a 9.8 with a press but no idea how to fix the back. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0087.jpeg

Well you are not the only one.  I pulled my copy and I'm seeing similar issues.  Either the paper used is very susceptible to foxing or this is some sort of stain introduced in production.  I feel your pain.

PlanetComics1.thumb.jpg.bdb2ce2fbf5389008f4b267848dd8488.jpg

On 4/27/2024 at 8:14 PM, Withering Wind said:

Well you are not the only one.  I pulled my copy and I'm seeing similar issues.  Either the paper used is very susceptible to foxing or this is some sort of stain introduced in production.  I feel your pain.

PlanetComics1.thumb.jpg.bdb2ce2fbf5389008f4b267848dd8488.jpg

This is not foxing. Both of these copies show paper translucency in the stained area, so this is almost certainly oil contamination. With two copies affected from different people, my guesses would be either errant machine oil on the press during printing or some sort of horrible mishandling during distribution.

In either case, even if this is a defect introduced during production, there's no way CGC is going to give these books a break. Sorry folks.