• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Nanometer Crunch !!!!
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I don't know..I have always been under the impression that a crunch in a book (of any type) is a default that appears as 'folded in' as if it's been impacted ..maybe a crunch is something different to CGC. I am not seeing anything but a loosened splinter at the top of the spine ..are they calling that a crunch now...maybe a 'crunch' is something that can only be seen with CGC's supposedly new high powered microscopes they use for detecting insect damage...maybe they got an electron microscope and can see at the nanometer level

anyway , I cant see any CRUNCH

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 10.53.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 10.53.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 10.54.19 AM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

They clearly used an electron microscope to observe the atoms have been permanently displaced by an extra 4 pico-meters.  

Automatic 1 point deduction!  Joking aside; I think they just used bad wording here.

That appears to be a Bindery Tear, however, the graders notes state "crunch top of spine through book", a Bindery Tear will not go through the entire book, judging by the definitions of bindery tear and corner crunch the "through book" statement seems to be the deciding factor here.

This is the definition of a "bindery tear".

Bindery Tear. a small horizontal rip found on the spine in a book's cover that can usually be seen from the front to the back.

NM/MT 9.8 - No bindery tears are allowed,

NM+ 9.6 - No bindery tears are allowed,

NM 9.4 - Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, 

There are no mentions of bindery tears from FN/VF 7.0 to NM- 9.2, the next mention of anything related is in...

FN 6.0 - There can also be a 1/4" spine split

This is the definition of a "corner crunch" from CGC. 

Corner Crunch - Corner of the book that has been impacted to cause multiple bends in both directions through the book.

On 4/24/2024 at 9:28 AM, marvelmaniac said:

That appears to be a Bindery Tear, however, the graders notes state "crunch top of spine through book", a Bindery Tear will not go through the entire book, judging by the definitions of bindery tear and corner crunch the "through book" statement seems to be the deciding factor here.

Bindery Tear. a small horizontal rip found on the spine in a book's cover that can usually be seen from the front to the back.

There are no mentions of bindery tears from FN/VF 7.0 to NM- 9.2, the next mention of anything related is in...

Corner Crunch - Corner of the book that has been impacted to cause multiple bends in both directions through the book.

Useful information, thanks

Perhaps I will just unslab it

On 4/23/2024 at 7:33 PM, Topnotchman said:

If one were to quick press a cover and not the pages of the entire book. A crunch could still be present as a defect upon inspection by opening the book. 

maybe it was pressed by previous owner ...but I dont remember any 'crunch' upon receiving the raw..I did not use any pressing service  

On 4/23/2024 at 7:33 PM, Topnotchman said:

If one were to quick press a cover and not the pages of the entire book. A crunch could still be present as a defect upon inspection by opening the book. 

^^

so the 'crunch' they seem to refer to...it  looks more like the comic was bent at the corner , about one inch down and one inch over, making a diagonal...could probably be pressed. The bend is not that apparent in the interior pages but is easily seen in the front and back cover. And I dont see any effect on the spine. I couldn't see it until I removed the slab

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 4/24/2024 at 9:28 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Whose definition?

Edited by shadroch