• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is CGC grading so inconsistent?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I had a dealer submit my Uncanny X-Men 256 along with others of the same issue.

He said mine was a great 9.8 candidate.   Gets it back and it is a 9.2, yet one that had a wrinkle and dimples was given 9.8.

Why?  It doesn't make sense!

Sounds like CGC (or the dealer) switched books in the submission. It's a coin toss.

It happens at CGC a lot that similar books in a submission get swapped labels.  But it could be the dealer switching it to his advantage from the get-go. 

I get books back all the time that I submit with one set of flaws (as noted in grader notes, not just my opinion) and they come back with DIFFERENT flaws noted. Every grader spots different things. Cgc isn’t inconsistent, it’s just that grading is HIGHLY subjective 

You saw the book is a potential 9.8 candidate.

Your dealer handled and packed your book before it was shipped.

USPS, UPS, FedEx or whatever service handled and delivered the package throughout many locations as such as hubs and distribution centers before the local office/hub.

CGC receiving department received and they handled your book.

You book went through Verification, Authentication and Grading. I would guess your books was handled by five people.

The last person handled your book in the Encapsulation room.

That is at least 9 people to handle your book. That is always a possibility of the book being downgraded.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:44 AM, Gaard said:

Is there an advantage to having a dealer sub your books for you?

For anyone NOT located in the United States it makes a massive difference in shipping. If I wanted to ship ONE single book to CGC for grading myself, and have them return it to me, the cost would be around $90usd just for shipping (not including any surprises coming back over the border via duties/imports if paperwork isn't correctly done). Submitting through a dealer has them mail a giant bulk shipment, and have all the return paper work completed/optimized as well as using discounted business rates (which often only add maybe $10 shipping costs to my order for a stack of books).

My dealer isn't handling the actual books much either, you just have to drop em off bag & boarded properly and you know they will be safe (all my big books are in an archive sleeve as well as a bag/board to prevent any issues while shipping)

On 4/28/2024 at 11:21 AM, Sauce Dog said:

For anyone NOT located in the United States it makes a massive difference in shipping. If I wanted to ship ONE single book to CGC for grading myself, and have them return it to me, the cost would be around $90usd just for shipping (not including any surprises coming back over the border via duties/imports if paperwork isn't correctly done). Submitting through a dealer has them mail a giant bulk shipment, and have all the return paper work completed/optimized as well as using discounted business rates (which often only add maybe $10 shipping costs to my order for a stack of books).

My dealer isn't handling the actual books much either, you just have to drop em off bag & boarded properly and you know they will be safe (all my big books are in an archive sleeve as well as a bag/board to prevent any issues while shipping)

How do you know they will be safe, and whose insurance covers them from the time you drop them off until they are mailed?

On 4/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, shadroch said:

How do you know they will be safe, and whose insurance covers them from the time you drop them off until they are mailed?

Reputation is all that is needed. There are plenty of places in Toronto I AVOID going to because of how poorly they handle books (cough Paradise Comics cough), and a store should have insurance if anything major happens prior to mailing but that is a risk you take regardless (or during mailing, though I've yet to hear anyone have an issue with the shop I use in this respect. Though every book I submit I take photos of at the time of submission in front of them, with invoice in view, and signatures of them confirming it)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/28/2024 at 4:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Reputation is all that is needed. There are plenty of places in Toronto I AVOID going to because of how poorly they handle books (cough Paradise Comics cough), and a store should have insurance if anything major happens prior to mailing but that is a risk you take regardless (or during mailing, though I've yet to hear anyone have an issue with the shop I use in this respect. Though every book I submit I take photos of at the time of submission in front of them, with invoice in view, and signatures of them confirming it)

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but a shop owner's insurance covers his inventory, not necessarily items in his possession. I currently consign things for a hobby, and it is amazing some of the terms shops foist on consigners.  Many shops take zero responsibility for items consigned to them if they mysteriously disappear.  My insurance covers my inventory in transit, but not when it is in someone else's possession.  Don't assume a shop has you covered.