• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Recognize this cover?
3 3

27 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2024 at 7:41 PM, OtherEric said:

The credits at the GCD are often just best guesses, particularly with older books.  It may be somebody figured there was no reason to think it wasn't by Keefer until the OA showed up.

Unless they cite a solid source for the attribution or it's done by one of the high quality art spotters, I don't take the GCD too seriously.  They were an open platform that encouraged lots of participation by enthusiastic but not always equally skilled contributors. 

It's an outstanding resource supported by an awesome group of volunteers, and they seem to be cleaning things up, gradually.

On 4/29/2024 at 6:18 PM, adamstrange said:

Unless they cite a solid source for the attribution or it's done by one of the high quality art spotters, I don't take the GCD too seriously.  They were an open platform that encouraged lots of participation by enthusiastic but not always equally skilled contributors. 

It's an outstanding resource supported by an awesome group of volunteers, and they seem to be cleaning things up, gradually.

I really miss Jim Vadeboncouer Jr. for many reasons, but not least because I felt I could trust his assessments whenever we had a question.  Admittedly, he always denied being definitive... but he was as good at spotting a comic artist as anybody who ever lived.

We've had tons of iffy received wisdom for decades, as well... there are still tons of arguments over the difference between Matt Baker and other Iger shop artists imitating Baker.

On 4/29/2024 at 9:47 PM, OtherEric said:

I really miss Jim Vadeboncouer Jr. for many reasons, but not least because I felt I could trust his assessments whenever we had a question.  Admittedly, he always denied being definitive... but he was as good at spotting a comic artist as anybody who ever lived.

He was very, very good and very, very careful.  He attempted to cross-check his findings with artists, company/personal records, and other similarly skillful spotters.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:13 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Should link this thread to the OA section. Could this be an original cover?

It’s the OA. I was going to start it there, but I figured the likelihood of it getting identified was over here in Golden, based on its era. I thought it was more likely someone had seen the printed illustration than the piece itself.