• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed low grade vs signed high grade
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I’m just wondering if the grade of a signed book really matters in terms of value? Patrick Stewart is doing a signing with Everest Autographs. (The guy who runs it used to work for Officalpix.) Long story short I found some signed books with the entire cast on galaxy on. The high grade ones are for way more than I’m willing to spend $3000 for a 9.1. They do have a 4.0 comic book with 8 of the 9 for much less that I’m considering. Again I’m just wondering how much of the grade really matters when it’s the signatures that bring it real value. Hope I’m making sense

It depends on the person. I’ve run into this myself since I deal in a lot of signed stuff. I have a Margot Robbie signed book that is literally a 1/1 but only 9.2. I get messages about it going “well, I’d only pay half what you want bc it’s not a 9,8” and I’m like Huh? Find another one then. Oh wait you can’t. If it’s a super common signature like Jim Lee or Todd or a celeb who did a billion cons like Shatner or the lower Trek guys, yeah I can see where a higher grade book matters. But rare sigs from like certain celebs who almost never do signings like Arnold, Sly, RDJR, etc I’d think the sig value trumps the grade. Stewart hardly ever does signings so as long as your book isn’t total garbage I’d say the value would be getting him to sign it 

CGC offering the "ART" or "SNG" designation for verified signatures/sketches instead of forcing them to be graded would solve most of the secondary market issues as well as helping turn around times.

More to the question the type of signature "should" trump the value of non-key books, but in practice the grade often heavily determines perceived value overall. I purchase a lot of signature series books and usually offer much less for non 9.6/9.8 signed moderns regardless of the signature. If you know that you have a rare signer lined up and use junk books it ends up reflecting in the selling price.

Doesnt matter much to me.

I feel that once a book is signed, it becomes art. 

That doesnt mean I wouldnt want the highest grade available as long as the price difference isnt insane.

Mostly because I crack them out and just place the label in the bag with the book.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:52 PM, startrekmaniac said:

Hi! I’m just wondering if the grade of a signed book really matters in terms of value? Patrick Stewart is doing a signing with Everest Autographs. (The guy who runs it used to work for Officalpix.) Long story short I found some signed books with the entire cast on galaxy on. The high grade ones are for way more than I’m willing to spend $3000 for a 9.1. They do have a 4.0 comic book with 8 of the 9 for much less that I’m considering. Again I’m just wondering how much of the grade really matters when it’s the signatures that bring it real value. Hope I’m making sense

There are no comic books that would be appropriate for Patrick Stewart to sign that cost $300 let alone $3000.  Please do some due diligence.  The photo cover Star Trek Books or an ST:NG #1 can all be found in CGC 9.8 for less than $300. That would be my suggestion. Buy an 9.8 book and get it cracked and graded.  For rare sigs and rare books, grade shouldn't mater, but it does. Just like it does on sketch covers.  Your investment will be best protected and regarded with a 9.8.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:50 AM, seanfingh said:

There are no comic books that would be appropriate for Patrick Stewart to sign that cost $300 let alone $3000.  Please do some due diligence.  The photo cover Star Trek Books or an ST:NG #1 can all be found in CGC 9.8 for less than $300. That would be my suggestion. Buy an 9.8 book and get it cracked and graded.  For rare sigs and rare books, grade shouldn't mater, but it does. Just like it does on sketch covers.  Your investment will be best protected and regarded with a 9.8.

Galaxycon has a couple of graded books signed by the entire cast expect for Patrick Stewart. The pricie might be a little high but I don’t think it’s outrageous.

https://galaxycon.com/products/star-trek-the-next-generation-1-dc-comics-cgc-signature-series-4-0-cast-x9-signed-dorn-crosby-de-lancie-burton-sirtis-spiner-frakes-mcfadden-wheaton?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=d4dfc2508&pr_rec_pid=8154574258344&pr_ref_pid=8160797294760&pr_seq=uniform