• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are collectors?
3 3

How old are comic collectors?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s see how old comic collectors are

• 14 and under
    • 15 to 19
    • 20 to 24
    • 25 to 29
    • 30 to 34
    • 35 to 39
    • 40 to 44
    • 45 to 49
    • 50 to 54
    • 55 to 59
    • 60 to 64
    • 65 to 69
    • 70 and older

182 posts in this topic

I was a paperboy for maybe 3 or 4 months when I was 12, I don't think I made any money. I delivered the raleigh times to an apartment complex and people were always moving I could never collect from them. I did have a lady open the door once with an open bathrobe and ask me to come inside. But sadly the story ends there I wasn't ready for that lol it was a bit intimidating I guess she got the paper for free after that. 

Fellow Paper Boys Unite!

Delivered the now defunct Cleveland Press 7 days a week for about 3 years before we moved out of town during my 6th grade year. Had to do the weekly collections, which never really bothered me since the weather blows 6+ months a year in Cleveland and the sidewalks were seriously uneven. Hated the Sunday paper - the wagon would be plenty heavy. Grew my route to 4 city blocks by the end - think I pocketed a whopping $5 a week.

Moved to the country and got a job on a farm that paid $5 a day (plus food, drinks, horse riding), but it was real work.

-bc

On 5/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, fast eddie said:

It's funny...... at the Atlanta comic show a few weeks ago, I mentioned I was a retired paperboy and would be good to give correct change to a dealer,,, the guy next to me piped in "I was a paperboy as well,,,I wonder how many of us were"  Made me think about it a minute,,,, probably quite a few of us!

I never had a paper route, but rather sold them -two different- first at a busy intersection, and later at the entrance to a supermarket.  That's how I started collecting coins; Indian head pennies, Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, & standing liberty quarters.

Giving my age away here, but I was a paperboy when Happy Days was a hit TV show, my pal and I would time picking our rounds up just as the show started, the girl in the shop would ask us to watch the shop while she went in the back to watch it.

We pocketed the money of anything we sold and scoffed more sweets than should have been possible for an 11 year old kid.

Also all the comics I delivered I kept and read overnight before I delivered them the next day.

Yeah, paperboy, the best job I ever had :cloud9:

Posted (edited)

wanna know why there won't be another comics boom...~67% of collectors are 50+

Exceptions, Outliers, Blue-chips, and Hot item De Jour will always exist but the pandemic was the hobby's last across the board hurrah. The only question is how fast attrition will occur.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/1/2024 at 7:25 PM, MAR1979 said:

wanna know why there won't be another comics boom...~67% of collectors are 50+

Exceptions, Outliers, and Hot item De Jour will always exist but the pandemic was the hobby's last across the board hurrah. The only question is how fast attrition occur.

But isn't that the age period (when you look at the sum of 40+ to 70) when people have the most disposable income? (shrug)

-bc

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, bc said:

But isn't that the age period (when you look at the sum of 40+ to 70) when people have the most disposable income? (shrug)

-bc

I want to say also, we need to find the last poll, because even though I've got older I want to say I still see similar results in "this poll!"

Which would prove your point and or alleviate some trepidations.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/1/2024 at 7:35 PM, batman_fan said:

I think post retirement spending may slow, I know it will for me

+1

Hopefully we can find the last poll and compare results over time.

-bc

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, bc said:

+1

Hopefully we can find the last poll and compare results over time.

-bc

Best I can do ATM, idk if these threads are them, but quick search

Edited by ADAMANTIUM