• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE FALL GUY starring Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt (2024)
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Where was this thread a week ago lol

I saw it as a prescreen, but the ending was drawn out! I thought there might be shirts given away, so I left at what I thought was the end. No shirts outside so I went back in, it was very well done. I thought Emily blunt was dry in the trailer, but her acting kind of worked, so I don't know who was more esteemed her or Gosling lol

I have one to planet of the apes tonight, but I've never seen one in theaters and I can't bring myself to be interested now either. Fall guy was not slapstick per se but left a good taste in your mouth for chic flick with obvious testosterone stereotypes. Very fun!

Screenshot_20240507_160419_Facebook.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/12/2024 at 11:08 AM, piper said:

Liked it. Surprised it’s not doing well at the box office.

That's what surprises me. I read so many people saying it was a fun film with Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling. So what turned off wider audiences viewing this worldwide?

image.png.ca49906ee3162ef868181db8da7f3c75.png

On 5/12/2024 at 10:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's what surprises me. I read so many people saying it was a fun film with Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling. So what turned off wider audiences viewing this worldwide?

idk, but perhaps it is because it is Mother's Day? idk

On 5/12/2024 at 9:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Honestly, it’s one of the better light hearted films I’ve watched this year.

On 5/12/2024 at 11:08 AM, piper said:

Liked it. Surprised it’s not doing well at the box office.

Ok, maybe I can offer some perspective as to why. As a child of the 80s who grew up with the original tv series and a fan of Lee Majors and that badass truck, I was left more than a bit underwhelmed. I was actually left wondering a third of the way into the film "what the hell am I watching here?"

Now I know this wasn't going to totally follow the series and though the dozen or so easter eggs, homages, and references helped keep me from walking out, i was struggling to stay interested. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a 10:15pm showing and I was a little tired but these were the things that I didn't like.

1. Total lack of chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt. Their romance and banter was so awkward and unfunny it felt like I was watching 2 church kids trying to hit on each other in front of the entire congregation.

2. The dialog. See #1 but also some of the banter and monologuing were pretty lame and felt uncharacteristic. I never really bought into the various close relationships among the stunt coordinators, producers, and crew.

3. The pacing, editing and directing. It felt so off. The flow of the dialogue scenes ran too long i nearly fell asleep and the metaphors and split screen gimmick felt forced and cliche. Most of the movie felt like a poor post production job where a bunch of romantic dialogue was shoehorned in with a bunch of jumbled action sequences.

4. Ryan Goslings character was nothing like the one portrayed by Lee Majors. 

5. Emily using a higher pitched voice for some reason and acting like a real ditz.

6. The main plot vehicle and end action sequence felt cheesy and exaggerated in order to complete the love letter to stunt actors.

7. The plot twist with the lead actor.

Maybe a lot more folks older than I went into it thinking it would be more like the original series.

I did like some of the jokes and inside look at the stunt techniques and methods, however.

I was also curious if there were somehow bad reviews?

It sounded like there were only positive and people still didn't go out to watch. Maybe those interested were and saw it already without word of mouth having much affect.

Dynamics idk

Still enjoyable, so was argylle, but not your Blockbuster dune nor major life event. Fall Guy would satisfy me for a while from that genre, so would argylle lol

I didn't need it to be big, just not losing money and never heard from again in a market that is growing all too similar.

There is Bad Boys coming up, I'm not as excited about. Mad max I want to see. Some Wolverine and Deadpool may seem enjoyable but would be more of what we've seen and I've avoided spoilers. In the long run a nice time for some flicks and I'm not complaining or saying ANYTHING is must see. :)

On 5/12/2024 at 4:20 PM, justafan said:

Ok, maybe I can offer some perspective as to why. As a child of the 80s who grew up with the original tv series and a fan of Lee Majors and that badass truck, I was left more than a bit underwhelmed. I was actually left wondering a third of the way into the film "what the hell am I watching here?"

Now I know this wasn't going to totally follow the series and though the dozen or so easter eggs, homages, and references helped keep me from walking out, i was struggling to stay interested. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a 10:15pm showing and I was a little tired but these were the things that I didn't like.

1. Total lack of chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt. Their romance and banter was so awkward and unfunny it felt like I was watching 2 church kids trying to hit on each other in front of the entire congregation.

2. The dialog. See #1 but also some of the banter and monologuing were pretty lame and felt uncharacteristic. I never really bought into the various close relationships among the stunt coordinators, producers, and crew.

3. The pacing, editing and directing. It felt so off. The flow of the dialogue scenes ran too long i nearly fell asleep and the metaphors and split screen gimmick felt forced and cliche. Most of the movie felt like a poor post production job where a bunch of romantic dialogue was shoehorned in with a bunch of jumbled action sequences.

4. Ryan Goslings character was nothing like the one portrayed by Lee Majors. 

5. Emily using a higher pitched voice for some reason and acting like a real ditz.

6. The main plot vehicle and end action sequence felt cheesy and exaggerated in order to complete the love letter to stunt actors.

7. The plot twist with the lead actor.

Maybe a lot more folks older than I went into it thinking it would be more like the original series.

I did like some of the jokes and inside look at the stunt techniques and methods, however.

I agree with you. The chemistry wasn't there.

I still give it a B+ for being entertaining.