• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #38
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Wondering what you guys think on this one and if you think a clean and press would help the grade quality at all. I was thinking it is somewhere around a 5.0 and was hoping I might be able to get it higher with a good clean and press. Sending it off to get graded either way so test your skills!!

PXL_20240322_213221931.jpg

PXL_20240322_213230584.jpg

Hard to grade from this angle and not laying flat. Looking at what is there you have general crinkling to the back cover that does not break color. That should press out. It looks like there's light soiling near the top staple back cover and also some scuffing bottom left back cover, neither of those would press out and I am unsure if they could be cleaned

Both corners of the spine look blunted and they break color. Pressing may sharpen them, but would not correct the defect entirely. The dog ear top right front cover looks to break color in parts and also not break color in parts. It would appear to be a significant (deep) crease / dog ear. My opinion is that a press would generally benefit. I am unsure if that would improve or not structurally/technically because of its depth, but it would improve eye appeal there.

My opinion is based on the scan this is VG/FN range. I think it's probably a 5.0 as is, I think it could improve to the FN range as the defects would be consistent with FN which is usually the average condition of a "used" comic book. The spine blunting, the dog ears consistent with reading (dog ears) are typical FN defects. Without a more detailed scan I'm personally unable to give you a better idea.

Posted (edited)

needs tack iron and ball-bearing to get the dog-ear crease mostly out of the whitish area, can't do anything about the colour-break, however the crease can be mitigated further than a general press, although the soiling is bad enough where this is for a pro to handle, so be careful to get someone who will pay extra attention and thinks outside the box but not probably the most you would get out of that is .5 better because the grader will "read" the crease along the colour-break in the little man, and extend it, and be able to see it under magnification, or a strong naked eye.. so i don't think it can get to the 5's with a crease that big, along with the other defects, but for youself and for a possible, although unlikely .5, it would mean a lot more if you love that book not to see the crease in the whitish areas, it would be a big change on the eye appeal, especially from a normal viewing distance, because right now the crease IS visible from a normal viewing distance. I believe that can be reduced significantly but not so much from a regular pressing only. It may get to 5.0, 4.5 should be in the bag,  but I doubt it can touch Fn-.

Edited by Q.N.S.