• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
10 10

290 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2024 at 9:02 PM, VintageComics said:

That was the Allentown. 

Someone else with more knowledge can probably comment on how many Church Timely's there are.

I have had this picture that was taken in a hotel for a convention for years and I put it under Church copy but not sure if it is(shrug)

image.thumb.jpeg.80955949fafe3602dca719456acaf581.jpeg

Edited by woowoo

On 10/4/2024 at 10:40 PM, Dr. Love said:

At least twice, for the most part.  Because at the end ranges it gets a bit harder to define what is romance. 

But Michelle Nolan and Dan Stevenson (who she lists in her credits within Love on the Racks) would be the answer.  

I've defined the romance universe as exactly 5,846 books.  Not one book more or less.  It's basically Michelle Nolan's set with some minor differences.  I got 59% of the way and threw in the towel.

It looked like this.  If you had never seen more than 2 or 3 romance comics together in one place before, if that much - and then walked into this setup where every single comic in every single box was a mid to high grade romance - it was absolutely mind blowing.  And that was true for comic veterans who had seen it all.

IMG_6864.thumb.JPG.e82aa62b1755fb6ebe188408201307e8.JPG

This was amazing!!!

I'm glad I was able to experience before the diaspora.

On 10/5/2024 at 4:22 PM, VintageComics said:

John Verzyl, apparently from scratch, assembled the entire Church Timely collection minus 6 or 7 books, the last I'd heard when I spoke to John while he was alive.

Quite a feat to assembly the Timely run alone, but from one of the most desirable Pedigrees? Wild.  

Not sure if all Timely books were present in the Church Ped, though. 

I have no idea whether he managed to complete the collection finally, or if Rose and John Jr. did. 

He acquired 330 or so in one fell swoop.

On 10/6/2024 at 12:18 AM, adamstrange said:

I vaguely remember that, but do you have any idea how many Timelys there are from the Church ped in total?

On 10/5/2024 at 11:59 PM, woowoo said:

Ya I knew about the Red Raven 1 and Marvel 1 but did not know there were a lot more thought there was only a hand full,

I know Johns Cap 1 after few times submitted made it to a 9.8 but it's not a Church guess I only like DCs :facepalm:

If you've got the photo journal guides you've seen most of them. John allowed his books to be photographed for the guide.

On 10/6/2024 at 7:24 PM, Silver Surfer said:

The photo journals are great but the technology back then sucked so the pictures look almost fake. Would love to see a redo with Heritage quality online photos. 

Oh, me too! Just saying they've been hiding in plain sight!

On 10/6/2024 at 5:36 AM, VintageComics said:

I vaguely remember that, but do you have any idea how many Timelys there are from the Church ped in total?

Verzyl was only interested in the superhero issues and didn't have any of the non-hero books the last time I talked with him.  I don't know how many there are.

On 10/5/2024 at 8:54 AM, Robot Man said:

A complete PCH collection is REAL tough. So many books and publishers going back to the early ‘40’s. And at today’s prices forget about it.

I have collected them over 50 years and at best am about maybe 80%. When I first started most were well under $10. Many (other than ECs) were as little as a buck. And a lot of lawns needed to be cut to buy a pile.

I know of a few real big collections. But never heard of a complete collection. 

Like the new seasonal graphic. Waiting for the haunted house to make an appearance.

On 10/6/2024 at 12:18 AM, adamstrange said:

That's an amazing percentage to get all at once. In an old thread, West counted that there were 429 superhero Timelys if you include Atlas and the two annuals. The original Church list only had Cap 77 listed on it from all of the possible Atlas superhero issues.

So John picked up 80% of the entire set at one time, amazing. I believe George Ohlshevsky completed the set and I know of a set in Florida, but not many people do it.

Wiki has a good list of all the Timely titles, looks like there just over 1600 if you use 1951 as your cutoff date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Timely_and_Atlas_Comics_publications

On 10/5/2024 at 9:18 PM, adamstrange said:

Did he get that group from Ernie Gerber? I can’t imagine having that kind of money to spend on comics all at once. Must have been incredible even at the price levels back then. 

On 10/7/2024 at 5:45 AM, Crowzilla said:

That's an amazing percentage to get all at once. In an old thread, West counted that there were 429 superhero Timelys if you include Atlas and the two annuals. The original Church list only had Cap 77 listed on it from all of the possible Atlas superhero issues.

So John picked up 80% of the entire set at one time, amazing. I believe George Ohlshevsky completed the set and I know of a set in Florida, but not many people do it.

Wiki has a good list of all the Timely titles, looks like there just over 1600 if you use 1951 as your cutoff date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Timely_and_Atlas_Comics_publications

The vast majority of Church books were sold in big chunks, as mapped out by Kohanek in his article for the original Comic Book Marketplace.

On 10/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, DanCooper said:

Believe it is CBM #11, which had a Top 50 Rarest Golden Age list by Duncan McAlpine.

Looks like Double Action 2 was at #18

CBM The Comic Book Marketplace 1991 Gemstone Issue 11 A Universe of Comic Books and Collectibles image 1

:cheers:

On 10/7/2024 at 5:45 AM, Crowzilla said:

1) This list, which I saved from somewhere on the boards a long time ago, is allegedly the Mile High for sale list. Lots of Timely hero books on this list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Kg5LafAi1lkNZTMYj_tOqTuzAh89qLAEsZnyo4IMDA/edit?gid=0#gid=0

This is a complete list of all Timely/Atlas issues, coming in at 4493, if you stretch it to the logical end of some series.

https://www.4shared.com/folder/iaEA346F/

Edited by stock_rotation

On 10/9/2024 at 9:35 PM, stock_rotation said:

1) This list, which I saved from somewhere on the boards a long time ago, is allegedly the Mile High for sale list. Lots of Timely hero books on this list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Kg5LafAi1lkNZTMYj_tOqTuzAh89qLAEsZnyo4IMDA/edit?gid=0#gid=0

Looks like someone turned the '77 catalog from Chuck's website into a spreadsheet, nice. https://www.milehighcomics.com/catalog/page03big.html