• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2024 at 11:33 AM, MAR1979 said:

Based on the amount of 9.8 books i received with badly crushed backs in the past 6 months it does appear to be the way many including CLink and suprisingly MCS conducts their business. 

I will say at least with MCS they are Total Pros and returns are easy. Clink too but getting them on the phone presents challenges due to their tiny staff. eBay is hit or miss hassle depending on seller. 

I've shown some examples of the inner well notches causing damage to comics earlier in this thread. Damage is in exact shape of the notches. 2nd Gen slabs has nice flat inner well tops and bottoms so was not an issue.

If respected folks in the hobby are missing crushed bottoms or tops of 9.8 labelled books, then logically they certainly will not take a fair amount of extra time to view sides of slabs to check for curved or wavy inner wells. Well that in short amounts of time after slabbing will damage standard size comics.

I think i said it before earlier in the thread,  but i can see the damage on some of the books when i look up the images on the CGC Registry lookup.   So it cant be taking that long for the issue to appear.  Its there before they leave the facility 

On 8/2/2024 at 11:09 AM, Stefan_W said:

Well, I for one am extremely happy that you are here letting us know how most people in the hobby conduct their business. 

Im mainly talking about the average person who sends in a few books a year or the first timer sending stuff in for a signing, which represents a large portion of whats being graded.   Wasnt really referring to it in a large scale business sense.  

So, my last submission came back in July.  All of the Modern tier books have the curved inner well and buckling to the spine of the books.  What I also noticed was that none of the Vintage tier books have the curved inner well.  Is this something that is only occurring on Modern tier books?  Has anyone else noticed other tiers besides Modern that this is happening to?

On 8/5/2024 at 8:07 AM, rizakoyt said:

So, my last submission came back in July.  All of the Modern tier books have the curved inner well and buckling to the spine of the books.  

The Santa Ana winds may soon be heading east.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/5/2024 at 5:07 AM, rizakoyt said:

So, my last submission came back in July.  All of the Modern tier books have the curved inner well and buckling to the spine of the books.  What I also noticed was that none of the Vintage tier books have the curved inner well.  Is this something that is only occurring on Modern tier books?  Has anyone else noticed other tiers besides Modern that this is happening to?

Interesting. I have a Vintage submission that shipped last week. I'll check it when it gets here.

I don't know what this means, if anything, but Modern Prescreens which for the last couple of years would spend only hours or maybe a day in G/E/I have now been in that status for several days. Could be nothing or it could be something. Will be curious to see when they get back to me. 

I think this might be the result of CGC having quietly changed their holders. I noticed my most recent 2 submissions came back with books loose inside their holders. Shake them and you can hear the well/book move around a little. I assumed CGC had finally expanded the holder's inner-area to prevent the well and holder from touching. This would finally do away with newton rings. It seems they didn't forsee how the inner-well/book would handle free-floating rather than being sandwiched between hard plastic.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, milk_man said:

I think this might be the result of CGC having quietly changed their holders. I noticed my most recent 2 submissions came back with books loose inside their holders. Shake them and you can hear the well/book move around a little. I assumed CGC had finally expanded the holder's inner-area to prevent the well and holder from touching. This would finally do away with newton rings. It seems they didn't forsee how the inner-well/book would handle free-floating rather than being sandwiched between hard plastic.

That type of thing can be found in some holders even a few years back. 

Expanding the inner area of the case would be a massive undertaking that would take months to go through a re-design, manufacturing, and testing process. 

On 8/5/2024 at 12:23 PM, LordRahl said:

I don't know what this means, if anything, but Modern Prescreens which for the last couple of years would spend only hours or maybe a day in G/E/I have now been in that status for several days. Could be nothing or it could be something. Will be curious to see when they get back to me. 

I have noticed this as well. Good pickup ! 

Yes plausible but could also be due to San Diego

Mine are in this boat. I dont know why things are taking this long, but given the timing of everything the thought crossed my mind that maybe they are experimenting with ways of stopping the warping to inner wells before sending more books out to customers. I think the issue is related to heating up the plastic to seal the cases all the way around following the tampering scandal, and if there is no venting as the casing cools it could do funky things to the well within the limits of the space that is there. If this is the case, the solution is playing with different amount of venting where the case is not sealed up like a coffin all the way around. It would take a few days to test all of this out. 

On 8/5/2024 at 1:27 PM, LordRahl said:

That occurred to me as well. I'm very curious to get these back and see if anything has changed with the warping.

Me too