• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2024 at 10:32 AM, Engr62 said:

Since we don't know the exact steps/stages of encapsulation... is it possible that these bends/ticks are being caused after book is sealed into the inner well but before the inner well is sealed into the slab?  For example, are these inner wells being stacked for some period of time before moving along to the slabbing stage?

Yeah, that is an excellent question and was one of my earlier guesses. If the inner well is cooling after being sealed and is not in the hard outer shell there is no limit to how much of a bend is there, and with a 6mm, 8mm, or however much bend you start to see ticks. 

I cant see on the inside of the process, but the reason I rejected this is because it would be spotted and is thus more easily corrected. But that is conjecture and it is certainly an option that fits the existing facts that are available. 

Edit: Just remembered that other reasons I ruled it was out that this explanation does not fit with changes to the shipping process where books were laid flat, or with trials of inserting wedges in slabs to lessen the space. 

Edited by Stefan_W

Even if the bend within the well that we're seeing is not the root cause of the damage, they are certainly not helping the situation.  I personally think much of the damage is done separately (either mishandling, or whatever) and possibly causes the permanent bend.  Then the bend continues to apply pressure on the book which certainly leads to some more damage over time.   But, either way, this is the fault of CGC.  The evidence for that is irrefutable by now.

On 9/25/2024 at 11:49 AM, MadGenius said:

Yes. The degree of bend required to create weak points and/or stress the spine is VERY possible within the confines of the CGC slab. It takes a very small amount of bend to do this and ANY amount of bend to the inner well is extremely bad for the books within.

Based on what I've seen and experienced, I'm not willing to carry water for a company that is willfully trying to gaslight its customers in order to protect their bottom line by repeating the ridiculous PR statement they issued to deflect liability.

So you replicated the bend? Please explain your process, and how many books did you use. 

On 9/25/2024 at 12:28 PM, Stefan_W said:

So you replicated the bend? Please explain your process, and how many books did you use. 

I was able to take books with clean spines and apply a small amount of pressure to both ends to replicate the banana bend. The degree of bend required to stress the spine is very small. This is basic physics.

On 9/25/2024 at 11:54 AM, 0r0d said:

But, either way, this is the fault of CGC.  The evidence for that is irrefutable by now.

To the best of my knowledge no one has ever questioned that. 

The point I have continued to make is focusing on the bend is easily refutable and therefore easy to deny that anything is going on. When people say "fix my book it is bent" and CGC replies "that amount of bend does not damage books" CGC is right. Identifying the issue correctly is absolutely critical. 

On 9/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, MadGenius said:

I was able to take books with clean spines and apply a small amount of pressure to both ends to replicate the banana bend. The degree of bend required to stress the spine is very small. This is basic physics.

Sorry, not a good enough answer. 

How did you replicate the bend? How did you measure that bend? And what photos and videos did you take of that process?

On 9/25/2024 at 9:39 AM, Stefan_W said:

Sorry, not a good enough answer. 

How did you replicate the bend? How did you measure that bend? And what photos and videos did you take of that process?

When you did your experiment, did you bend the book by itself? Or was it inside an inner well and you bent the inner well with the book inside by 4mm?

On 9/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, MadGenius said:

I just noticed the bolded part and,....wait..... what? 

The bend is created after a book a laid flat with plastic on top and bottom. The edge where the inner wedge is sealed is close to the spine so it supports it in a way as the book bends. How does putting direct pressure onto the book itself in the way you describe, with nothing top and bottom to recreate the effect of having the inner well there, replicate the curve? 

On 9/25/2024 at 12:51 PM, LordRahl said:

When you did your experiment, did you bend the book by itself? Or was it inside an inner well and you bent the inner well with the book inside by 4mm?

The way it played out was I was trying to figure out a way to replicate the curve in the inner well, and had grand plans of buying things to do so. Then, when I cracked a case and removed a book from a bent inner well, I discovered the bend in the hard plastic remained. So I put a series books into that inner well, a few on camera (not a camera friendly thing so I just did a sample) and the rest off camera. 

At that point I was thinking that there must be some type of shock involved to get the extra stress in the spine that I could not replicate, but that we are seeing in photos. It was before I landed on shaken comic syndrome as a possibility, and at the time I theorized it could be the shaking from transport from CGC. I suspect CGC may have gone down the same logic path because a while after that they shipped book out horizontally in the boxes and put wedges into most of the slabs.

I have not had a shipment since then so I cant crack anything newer open to see what they have been changing since then. 

On 9/25/2024 at 11:56 AM, Stefan_W said:

The way it played out was I was trying to figure out a way to replicate the curve in the inner well, and had grand plans of buying things to do so. Then, when I cracked a case and removed a book from a bent inner well, I discovered the bend in the hard plastic remained. So I put a series books into that inner well, a few on camera (not a camera friendly thing so I just did a sample) and the rest off camera. 

At that point I was thinking that there must be some type of shock involved to get the extra stress in the spine that I could not replicate, but that we are seeing in photos. It was before I landed on shaken comic syndrome as a possibility, and at the time I theorized it could be the shaking from transport from CGC. I suspect CGC may have gone down the same logic path because a while after that they shipped book out horizontally in the boxes and put wedges into most of the slabs.

I have not had a shipment since then so I cant crack anything newer open to see what they have been changing since then. 

Just to confirm, you tested many books in one single warped inner well that was cracked open enough to get the original book out?

On 9/25/2024 at 9:56 AM, Stefan_W said:

I'm wondering if the well itself is causing the stress. Comics are somewhat pliable. You bend a comic by itself by 4mm and it will just curve but likely it won't be enough to stress the spine. Now you put that same comic between 2 stiff backing boards and bend it, the boards have no give and the book won't be able to just curve. The boards will cause the stress on the book, not the bend itself. I wonder if the wells are acting as a brace and when bent with a book inside the wells are causing the stress? I haven't tested it but in theory it could explain some things.

On 9/25/2024 at 1:02 PM, LordRahl said:

I'm wondering if the well itself is causing the stress. Comics are somewhat pliable. You bend a comic by itself by 4mm and it will just curve but likely it won't be enough to stress the spine. Now you put that same comic between 2 stiff backing boards and bend it, the boards have no give and the book won't be able to just curve. The boards will cause the stress on the book, not the bend itself. I wonder if the wells are acting as a brace and when bent with a book inside the wells are causing the stress? I haven't tested it but in theory it could explain some things.

Yeah, that is totally possible. I dont know how I can test that because once the inner well is cut open from the top the properties you are describing would not be the same for books inside. Similar for sure, but not identical. There is also the venting and such to consider, but that goes beyond my own expertise so I can't even guess if or how those parts of how everything is designed may contribute to what we are seeing. 

I wish I had access to the facility so I could properly test it all out. I'm not saying I would come up with a solution, but I sure would love to rule a few more things out and narrow the focus. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/25/2024 at 1:07 PM, Skytripa said:

If non bent books have no damage and bent books do wouldn't that be an indication that bent books cause damage(redamage).

That goes down the correlation versus causation path.

When two things are correlated the first may cause the second, the second may cause the first, they may be unrelated, or a third factor may cause both. I went with the last (which is called an antecedent variable) and suggested the extra space in the hard cases led to both the curve and the damage. But I cant say for sure because we dont know right now what the actual cause is.  

The human brain can be described as a pattern-finding machine. Because it is so good at finding patterns it sometimes sees them where they do not exist. Think of constellations in the sky, where random dots of light are thought to be pictures of things we know. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/25/2024 at 12:56 PM, Stefan_W said:

This is a flawed process unless you are assuming the wells are already bent prior to encapsulation (I do not believe this). The wells are most likely being bent during the encapsulation process. This is very likely due to the new sealing techniques that are putting too much pressure on the inner well. I do not, and have not, ever subscribed to the "bad batch of inner wells" theory that CGC used to explain what is happening. There is something in the encapsulation process (bad technique, changes in the sealing methods, user error and/or incompetence) that is causing the inner wells to bend. CGC is not paying me to be an R&D consultant, so it's not my job to pinpoint exactly how and why it's happening. That is CGC's job and they are botching it at every turn.