• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a factory crease hurt a book's value? If so, by how much?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I've been going through my collection pulling out books to send to CGC and found this one in my Punisher appearances section. Book is otherwise in fantastic condition however when I was putting it in a new boarded bag discovered this crease in the cover. I have never read this book and have never taken it out of the bag since I picked it up in the late 80s. It looks to be a factory defect. The cover page is still aligned with the bottom and sides. My question, does this hurt the value? And is it still worth sending in for grading?

445226794_10161143308700915_2253369888184547571_n.jpg

438253407_10161143308770915_4734174877307627813_n.jpg

This is known as a "printer's crease", which is actually a misnomer because the crease was likely in the paper stock before it even got to the printer. It is typically disregarded as far as grading goes.

That said, given a choice of buying 2 otherwise identical books, one with a large printer's crease and one without, I would think most people would choose the one without. So there may be a value difference. 

On 5/18/2024 at 10:39 PM, Lightning55 said:

That said, given a choice of buying 2 otherwise identical books, one with a large printer's crease and one without, I would think most people would choose the one without. So there may be a value difference. 

Exactly! 

Agree with @Lightning55 that for grading these are largely ignored but wanted to add that technically, at the very high grades, they do matter.  For example, presence of a Printer's Crease precludes the comic achieving 9.9 or 10, and large, obtrusive, or many printer's creases can drop an otherwise 9.8 comic to 9.6 or 9.4.

On 5/19/2024 at 8:48 AM, DarthMartel said:

That's fair. Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Here's some more insight: that kind of crease in that area of the cover is ultra common on this particular issue.

Depending on how CGC views that particular book a printers crease will reduce the grade.

Adventure Comics #346 has a very common 1 inch crease in the black area of the cover between Princess Projectra and Ferro Lad (also sometimes on the back cover). Everytime CGC views this as a defect despite even complaining about it in person at conventions with graders present. When CGC would have one of their "talk with the graders" at SDCC with a book you brought they never could give an answer as to why it was a grade deduction in this case but not others. I think CGC just hates certain books and gives others a pass, and I'll be angry about it until the day I die!