• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey! I get to be on Comic Art Live Tuesday at 7PM
1 1

23 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Good luck!  Try not to say “it is what is”, “literally” or “right”!  You’ll get people drunk way too fast!

I'm working on trying not to say "The great...Mike Deodato.", "The great...Gonzalo Mayo", "The great...Mutato".

On 5/21/2024 at 4:58 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Don't make him prove that he has moobs that size. lol

That kind of dee-butt is usually reserved for Dueling Dealers !!!

I caught the rerun this morning. 

Let’s say you were pursuing another enterprise. I don’t know…maybe you want to franchise. Would you sell your art collection again? What would you do or would have done differently in a pursuit to raise a large amount of funds?

I respect @Dr. Balls for "not going home again" when he restarted his collection from scratch.  Much of it has to do with his previous collecting habits being no longer economically feasible.  And yet, his new collection and focus is still consistent with what he loves.

Just saw your interview and left a comment under my YouTube name.

Also, I’m probably never going to make it  to Montana but on the slim chance that the restraining order is ever rescinded, I’d love to grab a cheeseburger at your restaurant!  If you serve seasoned curly fries as well, that would be awesome!

On 5/22/2024 at 12:50 PM, John E. said:

I caught the rerun this morning. 

Let’s say you were pursuing another enterprise. I don’t know…maybe you want to franchise. Would you sell your art collection again? What would you do or would have done differently in a pursuit to raise a large amount of funds?

Boy, I dunno if I have it in me to expand into another large-scale endeavor. We'd explored franchising, but it comes down to my wife and I have limited time, and our main focus is making sure our restaurant maintains standards and keeps customers happy. That leaves not much time for exploratory endeavors, but the beauty is that we've built a restaurant that does have franchise potential. Maybe someday someone comes along and wants to take it to the next level.

I think now we've done well enough I wouldn't have to part with my art collection - it will be sold off someday, but I'd rather have that be on my terms, not because we need some seed money.

At the time we were looking at opening the diner, I was comic rich and cash poor. It was also one of those life decisions where I felt that at 42 years old I was running out of time to take a risk that would either fail miserably or help get us on the long road to retirement. My wife was an ER nurse and without getting in too much detail, I desperately wanted to get her out of there - and I couldn't do it in my current job vocation (advertising). So it was a worthwhile sacrifice in my book, and thankfully it all worked out. It's also kind of fun to say that comic books and art paid to open the restaurant.