• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAYING GOODBYE TO THE HOBBY. MY CONSIGNMENTS IN HERITAGE AUCTIONS
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, 

After 40 years in the hobby, I've finally decided with mixed feelings to hang it up and sell my collection through Heritage Auctions.

I've met a lot of good people throughout the years and have owned some great books. I thought I was out in 2008, selling my collection.

Almost immediately I regretted it and attempted to rebuild for the last 16 years, though replacing some of those books wasn't possible

I did accumulate a lot of nice mostly Golden & Silver Age comics which Heritage is auctioning for the rest of 2024 in weekly and Signature Auctions.

The first auction is currently online and ends May 26,27,28. I've included a link. Some great Romance and Horror books. Check them out. 

https://comics.ha.com/c/search.zx?saleNo=122422&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-Open-BrowseCatalog-051914

Edited by misterrmystery

On 5/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, misterrmystery said:

Hey guys, 

After 40 years in the hobby, I've finally decided with mixed feelings to hang it up and sell my collection through Heritage Auctions.

I've met a lot of good people throughout the years and have owned some great books. I thought I was out in 2008, selling my collection.

Almost immediately I regretted it and attempted to rebuild for the last 16 years, though replacing some of those books wasn't possible

I did accumulate a lot of nice mostly Golden & Silver Age comics which Heritage is auctioning for the rest of 2024 in weekly and Signature Auctions.

The first auction is currently online and ends May 26,27,28. I've included a link. Some great Romance and Horror books. Check them out. 

https://comics.ha.com/c/search.zx?saleNo=122422&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-Open-BrowseCatalog-051914

:bump:

On 5/25/2024 at 10:41 AM, shadroch said:

Good luck with the sale.   Is there a reason you choose this moment to sell?

Thanks. I have mixed feelings but have been thinking about it for quite a while.

The hobby has gotten too expensive and wouldn't want to leave it to my wife to deal with, should anything happen to me.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:00 PM, misterrmystery said:

Thanks. I have mixed feelings but have been thinking about it for quite a while.

The hobby has gotten too expensive and wouldn't want to leave it to my wife to deal with, should anything happen to me.

I think you're getting out at the right time since you have a wife. So many baby boomers will be getting out over the next 10—20 years that moving books for good prices could start to become more difficult. It's hard to walk away from a hobby, but from a financial standpoint, it's the safe move. I've been thinking more and more about setting a deadline for myself to stop putting money in, meaning that I'd have to sell some books if I wanted to buy others.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:44 PM, LadyDeath said:

Good luck! I'm eyeing several books in this auction. How many are yours?

I have 20 books in the current auction. The Blue Bolts, Eeries, Out or the Shadows 8 and other horror books are mine.

Also the Modern Loves which are really nice. A couple of superhero books. Exciting 13 and Mystery Men 28, along with HOS 92.

Some awesome books that took years to find. Hoping they will all find a good home.

Wow, what a journey you've had collecting.

I'm in my early 30s and can't help but wonder if I'll ever be able to let go of my collection when the time comes. It's amazing to hear about your dedication and the incredible Golden and Silver Age comics you've accumulated. I'll definitely check out your auctions before they end.

Best of luck with the sales and thank you for sharing your story.

I recently did the same thing, but via ComicLink. Some great LB Coles, horror and romance, silver age and bronze keys and a bunchy of super high grade DC silver age. Nothing sold for hue amounts but the aggregate total was great. It all went on onto the mortgage and cut our debt (and more importantly - monthly payments) in 1/2. Did it suck? Absolutely. I had many of those books for 30-40 years. But it was time.

Some tough books in this week's auction that took many moons to locate. I hope these treasures go to good homes that will also treasure them

Secret Diary of Eerie Adventures  #NN   Rare!

Weird Mysteries 4  Classic cover

Witchcraft 5  Classic cover.

War Against Crime 10 White Mountain Pedigree

Also Ghost comics, L.B. Cole's, Planets, Etc.