• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FRANK MILLER AMERICAN GENIUS documentary (2024)
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I paid $150 to see this at an “exclusive screening” at Megacon a few years back (we did get to “meet” Frank after). Wondered whatever happened with it. Pretty good doc, tho, especially if you’re a Miller fan.

Without seeing this, not sure why he is considered a genius?  He's been influential to be sure, but so have many other comic creators.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:23 PM, s-man said:

Without seeing this, not sure why he is considered a genius?  He's been influential to be sure, but so have many other comic creators.

Most probably it is the extent to which his contributions have directly or indirectly influenced movie and TV entertainment.

10 Best Movies Based On Frank Miller's Graphic Novels, According To IMDb

• Elektra (2005)
  • Daredevil (2003)
  • 300: Rise Of An Empire (2014)
  • Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) 
  • The Wolverine (2013)
  • Batman: Year One (2011)
  • 300 (2006)
  • Sin City (2005)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 (2012)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 (2013)

There are even parts of Frank Miller's Daredevil that made its way into the Netflix show involving Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye.

To be fair , he isn't calling himself a genius. Can't stop others from calling him that. And it's American genius as opposed to just genius tho some of you yanks think the World = America ( just a joke). He changed how I viewed and read comics with DKR, DD and Batman year one. Dunno abt genius but he ranks high in the pantheon of comic book writers and artists. 

I was just curious if the movie actually spelled out why he is a "genius"?  When I see that word mentioned I think Einstein or Hawking or in the case of art, Picasso.

why does he hold his head/posture like that? did he have a stoke?

does the documentary at anytime/anywhere proclaim "Comics aren't just for kids anymore!" ?

Got to see part of this on Monday at a screening but had to leave early due to a conflict. Started off with a live Q&A hosted by Rosario Dawson with Frank and with the Director and Producer also. Good to see some fan submitted questions addressed. "Collectible" was a mini poster and hope this is released so I can finish watching. 

On 6/13/2024 at 2:44 PM, rexinnih said:

Got to see part of this on Monday at a screening but had to leave early due to a conflict. Started off with a live Q&A hosted by Rosario Dawson with Frank and with the Director and Producer also. Good to see some fan submitted questions addressed. "Collectible" was a mini poster and hope this is released so I can finish watching. 

You were so lucky

:applause: