• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press New Shiver SuspensStories
3 3

160 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2024 at 3:46 PM, SpineTic said:

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-jason-aaron-epitaphs-from-the-abyss/

EXCLUSIVE: Jason Aaron's New Horror Story Takes a Bloody Turn

CBR has an exclusive first look at Jason Aaron's EC Comics debut in Epitaphs From the Abyss #2. Aaron will be joined by Tyler Crook, Jorge Fornes, Klaus Janson and Matt Kindt for the issue.

Epitaphs From the Abyss #2 will feature three all-new tales of "depraved intention and traumatic tension" told in EC's signature style. "This is a dark little ditty in the classic EC style that's very much set in the present day, featuring the modern world's greatest tool of human misery and suffering," Jason Aaron said, teasing his story 'Sounds and Haptics' from the issue. "You've probably got one in your pocket right now. Maybe you're even holding it in your hands, staring at it, losing track of time, losing yourself. Put it down. Put it down now and run away. Before it's too late." Epitaphs From the Abyss #2 goes on sale Aug. 21.

Screenshot(307).thumb.png.d164f1303e9a0fdf09359e7701ea13e1.png

image.jpeg.e40bd38f1dc9746dea1071a16bc5c6db.jpeg

Every time I see the Bermejo cover for that Epitaphs issue with the clown and the kids standing around him, I have flashbacks of In Living Color and Homey D. Clown except "horror-ified".  Homey don't play that!

Edited by Telegan

On 8/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't know how many times they've done that scenario, but here is one of an example from like 2012, and at least they're not all uniform.

Just an fyi as it was a reason I liked this book as well 😂 

4654802_Full_Obv.jpg

This is the earliest comic I can ever recall seeing with the fake aging design, there are probably earlier ones.  Not my copy, although I did grab it back when it first came out in 1988

TMNT 15.jpg

Picked up #1 (non-variants) of Epitaphs and Cruel Universe to read yesterday. I like this idea, and I've only read Epitaphs so far, but the writing needs to get better.  It's pretty weak.  And the "Grave Digger" kind of introduces everything up front, never really shows up again. No real puns like the old books. Not a lot of great twists.

On 8/18/2024 at 3:39 AM, OtherEric said:

Just so people can see the variant.  This one is listed as limited to 300 each.  I really like the 50's retro design, it doesn't feel particularly EC specifically but it looks like it could have been a movie poster or something while the original EC's were on the stands:

image.thumb.png.1973d4ec527fa6580d59648d8725f560.png

I like the ominous, Men In Black aspect of it.

Missed out on the Jay Stephen’s variant at my LCS, but at least got the clown cover I liked a lot. Content wise, was about as good as the first issue for me. Not one story knocked it out of the park so far. Three stories per issue is a bit of a drag btw, but what can you do?

Epitaphs From The Abyss # 2 Bermejo Var.jpg

Epitaphs From The Abyss # 2 Pollina Var.jpg

https://www.gamesradar.com/comics/cruel-universe-2-david-lapham-preview/

Stray Bullets creator David Lapham makes his EC Comics debut with a gruesome sci-fi shocker

'Ray Gun' is a western-themed horror

Oni Press's Cruel Universe is the second book out of the gate from the publisher's revived EC Comics brand following Epitaphs from the Abyss. Each issue of the sci-fi horror anthology includes four twisted tales from a variety of star creators – and we've got an exclusive preview of one of them right here from the upcoming second issue. 

'Ray Gun' is a Western-themed horror written by Christopher Cantwell and drawn by Stray Bullets creator David Lapham, who makes his EC Comics debut here. In the story, a washed up cowboy is startled by a UFO encounter, only to find that it leaves behind something very special: a futuristic lazer gun which he uses to... well, check out the preview below. Hint: it's pretty gruesome.

Of course, with this being Cruel Universe, we have to expect a sting in the tale, but to find out what that is you'll have to pick up the full issue.

The issue comes with a main cover by Greg Smallwood, followed up by variants from Riley Rossmo and Jay Stephens, plus a black and white Rossmo variant, and an Archive Edition cover by Rian Hughes.

As well as 'Ray Gun' the new issue also features new stories from Chris Condon and Javier Rodriguez, Stephanie Phillips (who we interviewed yesterday about her brilliant new series with Brian Azzarello  LIFE) and Riley Rossmo, and we're also promised "a very special surprise from Ben H. Winters and Leomacs."

In our recent interview with Hunter Gorinson, the Oni Press CEO hinted that a third title would be on the way from the EC Comics imprint in the near future, saying "the third book will not be in a genre that EC specifically did stories in before. They dabbled in it, but they never had a title fully committed to it before." He also suggested that some future EC Comics titles might move away from the traditional anthology format.

Cruel Universe #2 is published by Oni Press on September 4.

Screenshot(322).thumb.png.28a7b17038083843fbc1dee661b2e0c8.png

Screenshot(323).thumb.png.c8fe75ac62253abbc454aa8ccce93603.png

Screenshot(324).thumb.png.5df9d70030bae19eb4e0887b54e4bdb8.png

Screenshot(325).thumb.png.5e9ef60cc480dd6fc735bfdb365e3613.png

Screenshot(326).thumb.png.f257948ed567768421e62960d980b723.png

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/09/05/exclusive-oni-press-preview-cruel-universe-3/

PORTLAND OR (September 5, 2024) – Just in time for Halloween, Oni Press is calling th e the latest electric EC comic forth from the beyond! On October 2nd, the sinister and successful return of the iconic EC Comics imprint continues in CRUEL UNIVERSE #3 – armed with one of our most craven casts of creators and time-distorted tales yet!

Ahead of the arrival of our third twisted tome of sci-fi stunners, Oni Press and EC Comics are proud to present a first look inside  the all-new new story “Automated” from rising star J. Holtham (The Horizon Experiment) and unstoppable artist Kano (Gotham Central) as a billionaire inventor grapples with the true prices of technological innovation at any cost…

Plus: The world’s most existentially devastating comic magazine plumbs new depths in CRUEL UNIVERSE #3 as the otherworldly talents of Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun) and Davíd Rubín (Sherlock Frankenstein), Ben H. Winters (The Last Policeman) and Carson Thorn (XINO) and Zac Thompson (Cemetery Kids Don’t Die) and Dan McDaid (If You Find This…) begin a manned expedition to the extremes of human existence and imagine the terrifying possibilities of what to expect when the best of intentions meet the cold, hard reality of our worst instincts. The world and everything you hold dear within it may be doomed to the cold touch of entropy . . . BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN KEEP THIS COMIC AS A SOUVENIR!

Featuring covers by Eisner Award winner Greg Smallwood (The Human Target), Eisner Award winner Dave Johnson (Superman: Red Son), Ringo Award nominee Jay Stephens (Dwellings) and Eisner Award nominee Rian Hughes (The Multiversity), give yourself over to science fiction that stings in CRUEL UNIVERSE #3 – on sale October 2nd!

Screenshot(327).png.65bf35736c9680c6ee5915fdb6808e29.png

Screenshot(328).png.6450214f01b4aac46c9564d872baa1c4.png

Screenshot(329).png.c55869954792802211c4268bae6a561b.png

Screenshot(331).png.cd1de83323a2e87d5bafb3e82dfbb388.png

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/shiver-suspensstories-ec-comics-in-oni-press-december-2024-solicits/

Shiver SuspensStories EC Comics in Oni Press December 2024 Solicits

Oni Press has dropped their December 2024 solicits with EC Comics' Shiver SuspenStories #1 by Jason Aaron, Ben H. Winters, Kano, Peter Krause

Oni Press has dropped their December 2024 solicits and solicitations, the first publisher off the blocks this month, launching their EC Comics title Shiver SuspenStories #1 with Jason Aaron, Ben H. Winters, Kano, Peter Krause and more, to join Epitaphs from the Abyss #6 and Cruel Universe #5 (of 5). They also launch the Rick and Morty Presents: Maximum Coda #1 comic, accompanied by the collection Rick and Morty: Kingdom Balls SC. As well as Skin Police #3 (of 4), The Autumn Kingdom #4 (of 4), Calavera, P.I. #2 (of 4), Sectaurs #3 (of 3), Cemetery Kids Don't Die Vol. 1 SC, Kaijumax Complete Collection Vol. 1 SC, Backtrack Deluxe Edition HC, El Fuego HC, and Mr. Muffins: Defender of the Stars SC. Take a look…

Screenshot(337).thumb.png.87d58f88f82dce813af273b3cebdd5ce.png

Screenshot(338).thumb.png.41562bf3e7adb21582ed876bd0c06984.png

Screenshot(339).png.3cc9f46b90481d301b4d2813a40a3e7d.png

Screenshot(340).png.945b3831edc8f344de38fd05faadfae7.png

Screenshot(341).png.e1f75fe83384ce5a62e251c545bffb21.png

SHIVER SUSPENSTORIES #1 (ONE-SHOT)
WRITTEN BY JASON AARON, BEN H. WINTERS & MORE
ART BY KANO, PETER KRAUSE & MORE
COVER A BY DARICK ROBERTSON
COVER B BY ADAM HUGHES
HOMAGE VARIANT (1:10) BY JAY STEPHENS
B&W ARTIST EDITION VARIANT (1:20) BY DARICK ROBERTSON
ARCHIVE EDITION VARIANT (1:50) BY RIAN HUGHES
BLANK COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
THIS HOLIDAY SEASON, TERROR COMES CALLING WITH 56 PAGES OF SHOCKING CHILLS FROM AN ALL-STAR CAST OF EC'S FINEST FIENDS!
Just in time for Christmas, Oni Press and EC Comics are proud to present Shiver SuspenStories #1—the FIRST in an ALL-NEW series of extra-sized EC specials colliding tales of horror, science fiction, and powerfully potent suspense in one joyously wrapped package that may or may not be leaking something strange under the Christmas tree . . .
Featuring brand-new tales of merry dismemberment and yuletide destruction from writers Jason Aaron (Thor), Ben H. Winters (CBS' Tracker), and more, with artists Kano (Gotham Central), Peter Krause (Irredeemable), and more—plus a newly remastered and authentically restored holiday classic from the EC vaults! Get ready to hear those SLAY BELLS RING—AIN'T IT SICKENING?!
ON SALE DECEMBER 11th, 2024 | $7.99 | 56 PAGES | FC
IOC: 10/24/2024
FOC: 11/11/2024

Screenshot(342).png.12f882ac065005bf5bfdf44ee8699f42.png

Screenshot(344).png.c7ac40fa62438a5c4980ef39087affc9.png

Screenshot(345).png.8404bf97755307fd0e051faf9466f883.png

Screenshot(343).png.5f98a3c2686a66211fc3491aa78e21d3.png

EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #6
WRITTEN BY J. HOLTHAM, MARK RUSSELL & TIM SEELY
ART BY CHARLIE ADLARD, DAVID LAPHAM, & OTHERS
COVER A BY LEE BERMEJO
COVER B BY TOM FOWLER & BILL CRABTREE
B&W ARTIST EDITION VARIANT (1:20) BY TOM FOWLER
EC COMICS HAS AWOKEN FROM THE GRAVE, AND THE MONTHLY SERIES THAT JUST WON'T DIE IS BACK WITH ANOTHER "ALL-KILLER" ISSUE!
Yes, my ghastly ghouls, the horrific comic mag that AiPT! says is fueled by "blood, gore, and the unease rising in your belly" won't stop until it has reaped its revenge! In this month's bountifully bloody issue, join our award-winning team of riotously relentless writers J. Holtham (The Horizon Experiment), Mark Russell (Batman: The Dark Age), and Tim Seeley (Local Man) and delightfully sinful artists Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead) and David Lapham (Stray Bullets) among others as they set out to etch three all-new tales of pain, fright, and retribution into the tombstones that dot the Grave-Digger's cemetery like so many flies on a moldering corpse. Beware: We're only six issues in—and the fun is just getting started!
ON SALE DECEMBER 18th, 2024 | $4.99 | 32 PGS | FC
IOD: 11/18/2024
FOC: 12/18/2024

Screenshot(347).png.499e929fca1a1d59c4987cb058e70ac7.png

Screenshot(348).png.df0fd8e651f0c732babdc19c92134901.png

Screenshot(349).png.ab5c48feca3c7a09cdc4bb3a76c0ba48.png

Screenshot(346).png.652e4a28cc71bb56d04f1b2e131233d2.png

CRUEL UNIVERSE #5 (of 5)
WRITTEN BY CORINNA BECHKO, CULLEN BUNN & AMY ROY
ART BY DANIEL IRIZARRI, CLAIRE ROE & OTHERS
COVER A BY GREG SMALLWOOD
COVER B BY MALACHI WARD
B&W ARTIST EDITION VARIANT (1:20) BY MALACHI WARD
How fragile this tapestry of reality is, yes? What happens when you pull at the lone, loose thread that tethers together the concept you call "human consciousness"? What perceptions will be the first to fall as time and space gives way to the endless cascade of the fourth and fifth dimensions beyond? Can your quaint sense of self handle the unraveling of everything you once thought constant? WE SURE HOPE SO . . . BECAUSE THIS COMIC MIGHT BE THE ONE THING KEEPING YOU SANE!
Peril and panic await within these pages as EC Comics and Oni Press unveil the final, awful truths of this CRUEL UNIVERSE—brought to you by some of today's most brilliantly maniacal minds! Penned with awe and disbelief by the likes of Corinna Bechko, Cullen Bunn, and Amy Roy, and brought to terrible fruition by the limitless atomic collisions of the terribly talented artists Daniel Irizarri, Claire Roe and others. Rejoice, for within these pages, we have found the quantum equation for FEAR!
ON SALE DECEMBER 4th, 2024 | $4.99 | 32 PGS | FC
IOD: 10/24/2024
FOC: 11/11/2024

The Panic #1 is an interesting choice for the homage cover, I would have expected Vault of Horror #35 instead for a holiday-themed issue.  Feldstein did the original in a similar style, so it actually doesn't look that different to my eyes.  Will still be a nice addition to the homage cover collection, though, and I love that they're going outside the expected titles on the homages, with Panic and Psychoanalysis. On a different note, I like that they got Hughes to do a cover.  Slightly surprised (and relieved) they're not doing a 1:100 given that it's a 1st issue.

panic SSS.jpg

So many cool homage covers.  Some of those are positively disgusting.  That Epitaphs #6 with the lady serving the head to the kids and eyeballs on the plate... man, I don't know... that's probably one of the two worst ones yet. :sick:

I still need to read Cruel Universe #2 which I just got the other day.  I've been slacking.

Edited by Telegan